Scott Bakula talks about revival series this weekend

Which makes it even more unbelievable - the ultimate do-gooder not returning while possibly knowing all his close family and friends have passed, it just doesn't make any sense to any real self respecting fan of the show and in the end a kick in the nuts to said fans.
Oh, I don’t believe for one second that Sam would ever return home permanently! And I consider myself a very hardcore self-respecting fan of the franchise. Traveling through time, putting right what once went wrong and making the world a better place, is Sam’s purpose. He’s answered the call to a higher purpose much greater than his own happiness. What is he going to do if he gets home, sit behind a desk and calculate equations all day? I seriously doubt Sam would ever be content doing that from day to day. That’s just not who Sam is. His true gift is being selfless and helping to change people’s lives for the better. You gotta remember, when Sam first leaped, he didn’t have a family to come home to. He wasn’t there when his father died. Even in the new timeline, Sam made a conscious choice to leave Donna behind for something far greater…and it was sort of implied in “The Leap Back” that she knew this deep down inside. She told Al, “Sam couldn’t do what he has to do if he remembered us.” It’s the very definition of the Hero’s Journey. The journey is not always one that they want to take, but one that they need to take. Look at pretty much any superhero story: the hero always goes through a moment of weakness where they want to quit because of the effect that their calling has on the people that love them. The current series has pretty much clarified at this point that in order for Quantum Leap to work, it requires sacrifice: a mission that is much bigger than oneself. And in those same superhero stories, the hero’s loved ones almost always come to a mutual realization that the sacrifice being made is the very reason why they love that person so much.

Sure, Sam could go home and be with his remaining family and friends, but would he be truly be happy knowing that in doing so, he’s not out there helping other people throughout time? That doesn’t mean we never need to see him again, but I’m 100% certain that he’ll never actually return home for good. It would just completely go against who Sam is and why we all love his character so much. Think about what he said to the Bartender: “I’d like to go home…but I can’t, can I? I’ve got a wrong to put right for Al.” I think he instinctively knew that by doing that, he’d be changing the timeline in such a way that would make it impossible for him to return to the same reality he left. Giving Al happiness was more important to him than his own happiness. That’s what heroes do!

Suggie176

He’s answered the call to a higher purpose much greater than his own happiness. What is he going to do if he gets home, sit behind a desk and calculate equations all day?

Hardly sit at home dude, he'd come home and here's a controversial idea...... run his own project! it was his to begin with and which he painstakingly leapt to save, i'm sure the writers of the show can accomadate that so I wouldn't call that sitting around lol.

Also, he doesn't have to just manage it, he could be the occasional hologram to BOTH Ben and Addison by passing on his experiences, high and low. There's loads of stories to be told with Mr Quantum Leap now guiding the next gen of leapers.

Even in the new timeline, Sam made a conscious choice to leave Donna behind for something far greater…and it was sort of implied in “The Leap Back” that she knew this deep down inside. She told Al, “Sam couldn’t do what he has to do if he remembered us.”

Hard core fan here also and you used that quote out of context to what Donna was saying, i mean of course sure she knows his selflessness but Donna meant it for when Sam is liked by his female admirers and him being 'amorous' on his leaps doing what he does lol.

I know post Mirror Image Sam leaps solo and unrestrained but I believe his love for Donna is also equally as important to him. We saw how devastated he was for losing her and altering her timeline in S01EP03 Star Crossed but also in the same episode "Leap Back" S04EP01 Sam told Donna before he leaping into Al to save him " I'll be back, I swear to God I'll be back", his love for her is deep rooted so i fail to believe he would favour leaping endlessly in time to not getting home to her eventually.

This is a wrong the producers and writers have failed to RIGHT in over 30 years.

Last edited:
Reactions: McDuck