My Quantum Leap Fan Movie

MrVestek

Project QL Intern
Jun 16, 2005
I'm currently working on a production (a short film, about maybe 20 minutes long) which is a Quantum Leap fan film of sorts. Basically the premise for my movie is that I recently guest starred in another group's production of a long running series called The Super Cops. The premise for me being in their show and to not be able to return as a regular character would have me Quantum Leaping into the Kenny character (who is basically a South Park rip-off, dies in every episode etc). My mission in this particular film is to save him from dying and keep him alive for the rest of the movie, then towards the end I leap out and the story resolves.

The whole story however of me leaping about that I've worked out (and filmed some intro footage for already) is that I'm an Internet geek who finds out of a way to transport people over the Internet using just an ordinary PC scanner and a Camera, then the body is converted to binary, transferred over the Internet and reassembled at the other end. However, as like in Quantum Leap, my body gets pulled away by 'God, Fate, Time or whatever...' and I start leaping from fan movie to fan movie on the Internet, trying to find my way home.

So how does that sound to you guys? Should be ready within the next month... maybe a lil longer. :p

There's no Al character in it however as there was nobody available at the time of shooting, so currently in this episode it's left to me to find out my mission.

That sounds fun to me! I'd love to see it.

And no replies doesn't equal not caring. Sometimes there can be whole days when nobody logs on or are too much in a hurry to form a detailed reply. These lulls can be disappointing sometimes, but activity always builds back up soon enough.

So, don't fret when you don't find a reply within a few hours of posting. You'll get one eventually! ;)

Joy

alsplacebartender said:
I'd like to see it too.... sounds like fun!
No worries guys I'll keep you posted. Might post up a clip or two from it too I dunno, or maybe just the intro when I (finally) get it finished. I'm currently awaiting permission from 2 fan films that are well known on the net (not QL fan films... other ones) the likes of Star Trek: New Voyages to use some of their footage in my intro, for the intro which shows my previous leaps, it's like a nod to the guys who've made it. One of the admins on www.newvoyages.com is interested and had given me the main director's email address to get in touch with him so we'll see how it goes. It'd only be for me standing on the bridge of the Enterprise with the guys from New Voyages for like about three or four seconds when the 'He awoke to find himself trapped in time... facing mirror images that were not his own... ' bit starts prologuing.

The effects that I've successfully recreated so far are the QL effect itself (looks good to me but isn't 100% faithful to the show) and having me look in a mirror and it not be my reflection. No need to create the hologram or observer doors affect yet as an Al like character isn't in this episode.

So anyways guys I'll keep you posted and thanks for your interest :)

good luck on this!

and a quick hint about bboard stuff... one WEEK means nobody's interested. Some folks are rabid bboarders. Others, while still fans, only visit every now and then!

Lol, sorry I'm just impatient. I was just thinking though, seeing as you guys are the biggest QL fan site out there, i'd like if a few of you got involved. Ok so at the minute I need someone to do the prologue of the movie. I still haven't worked out fully what's to be said yet but I need a female Leaper to record this on her mic for me, and send it over, then you can be the voice over in the movie!

Anyone interested?

I'd be interested... but I can't make any promises. I'm cursed with procrastination, plus I'm a full-time college student who's also working, so I'd have to find the time to sit down and do it.

But I would definitely be interested.

Joy

Actually the first part of that effect is really good. I'm guessing that's a particle effect in 3D Studio Max? How were the retracting lines done?

What's missing, as far as accuracy, is white/inverted contours which slowly dissipate as well as better developed lightning. Both of these are time-consuming hand-drawn effects.

I might be persuaded to help out on this. :)

You're right that it was a particle effect but not done in 3Ds Max but rather ParticleIllusion3. You seem to have created a pretty accurate QL effect as I can see in your avatar. They needn't be time consuming or hand drawn, infact that effect you just saw is a blending of an older effect I tried with a newer one, I plan to redo the whole body sequence in a while. Also, as for the lighting yeah I know it's not the best but I can't find any good lightening emitters for PI at the minute so for the moment that's what I'm stuck with.

So how might one be pursuaded? :p

I would like to see this as well. And as far as the femal voice over, I know for a fact Samantha Beckett is and aspirering actress and wanted to get into something similar to that

Ohh excellent sounds good. If anything she could add this film to her portfolio when she's finished. Ahh pity she can't make it to Ireland for this project. Although I do plan to make some more when this is finished so... ya never know. Samantha Beckett as a younger sexier Tina? :p

Anyways Sam if you're out there, get in touch pweese.

Sam just sent me a PM, looks like she's interested in doing the voice over for the prologue :)

Also a few bands have gotten in touch with me via MySpace and are interested in performing a reworking of the Quantum Leap theme tune in a hard rock kind of style.

It's all coming together now folks! :)

As a little side note, Brian, would it be possible (when I have more news and reports etc of the project released) to get a news article on the site about the project or even put a link to the mini site on www.stevetrek.com when I have that up and running? That'd be a huge help and with the fan base that this site gets the film would get lots of exposure.

Thanks again folks.

Oh, cool! That'd give us a third version of the QL song! Awesome!

Kinda reminds me of the song "Pure Imagination" from the '71 Willy Wonka movie. You've got the original version (QL does too), then a new funky version (QL did too), and then a more rocky version (QL will too!).

I'm glad Sam's able to do the prologue. I really wasn't sure if I was going to have the time to do it, so I'm glad she'll be able to do it and get her name out there.

Joy

Ok guys let me know what you think of this. Although in the first episode of Quantum Geek (I do plan to make more) there will be no hologram like Al as such, today I tried recreating two effects, walking through the observer door and walking through something... I think I've recreated them pretty accurately but let me know what you guys think.

Take a look here: http://www.stevetrek.com/qlhologramtestfootage.wmv

Ohh my graphics designer friend just got back to me with a design for the poster. It's looking good so far but there are still a few issues with it to be worked out, i'll post it up when it's done.

Hey guys check it out, here's the first draught of the movie poster!

posterQG_psd.jpg

Hehe thanks but I can't take the credit, it's the work of a graphic designer in the UK who's helping me out with various things on this project.

It looks great so far. Kudos to everyone involved!!

:) Donna

"It's not deja-vu. I read this book."
-Sam - Play It Again Seymour

"I've had confidence in myself all along. It was just a matter of getting the pieces back in place."
-Dale Earnhardt

"There goes the only protege I ever had."
-Joel Sloane - Fast and Loose

Looks like the band that will be doing the theme for Quantum Geek (I'll have two or three different versions of the QL theme to choose from that they're gonna perform for me) are nearly finished and should have the tunes to me by the end of the week, sounds good!

Check out their site anyways, http://www.symbiotick.net

Last edited:
Hey, MrVestek,

First of all, I haven't formally introduced myself. My name is Damon; I'm one of the moderators at this board. I generally don't introduce myself, only because so many new members join on a regular basis these days and I don't always have the time to say hello to all of them. Just know that I "mentally" welcome everyone to the board when they first join. :p

Anyway, I'm wondering if it would be possible to borrow and/or share one of the versions of the "new" QL theme for something I'm in the middle of writing right now. I'd like to be able to put together a short little flash video to go with it using an alternate take on the theme, except I don't have the ability to create my own music. This would only be a limited-time thing and would actually be seen on this website somewhere for a few weeks. You and that band would get full credit, of course.

If you're interested, please let me know ASAP. Perhaps we can work something out? :)

Damon

Hrm well the band might be a few weeks getting back to me with these themes.. but yeah I'm sure we can work something out, they're doing 3 or 4 different renditions for me so that I can choose the one I like the best, you can use whichever ones I won't be using.

I will put a condition to this however, would it be possible to get Quantum Geek mentioned in the fan flick section? Just like there are pages for Quantum Retribution etc...

Hey guys I'm in college at the minute so only managed to create this on my laptop, it's not perfect but Samantha Beckett emailed me with the voice clips a few hours ago and I've put together a rough cut of the prologue, let me know what you guys think :p Some of the dialogue in this is actually incorrect (my fault I gave her the wrong dialogue) the bit about 'time travelling over the internet' should be 'transporting over the internet'.

http://www.stevetrek.com/geeksagasell.ogg

Most media players should be able to play ogg files, if not grab the drivers from www.vorbis.com

Frmph, I would have encoded it to MP3 but Audacity needs a license for that (being open source they can't have MP3 encoders in the source... but there is a plugin). I'll re-encode it now so...