Meet and greet!

CarolD

Jul 15, 2006
New York
OK all,

Let's get the chatting going in this thread! Are you planning to come to the con on your own, and would like to share hotel expenses with a roomie? We've all got 2 years (and a few months) to get acquainted.

Even if you're attending with a friend, spouse, or SO, you can still introduce yourself. Who are you, and where are you from? How'd you get interested in QL? What are you most looking forward to, during con weekend and/or your visit to LA?

I'll start things off: I'm Carol, from New York. Some of you might know me as the author of the two Leap novels Obsessions and Mirror's Edge. I became a fan of QL with the first episode, and started writing QL fic in 1992. Something about the wonderful "heart" of all the episodes (and Scott's wonderful portrayal of Sam) appealed to me both as a viewer and as a writer.

Con-wise -- I attended all 5 of the 1990s cons, and worked as a committee member on 1995 and 1996.

On a more personal level, I have pet birds and love talking about them; also enjoy movies, TV (looking forward to the season premieres of my favorites - Supernatural, Lost, 24, Veronica Mars), staying in fancy hotels, and seeing new places.

What I'm looking forward to the most about the con is the chance to meet all of you! See ya there...

I'm Jennie from LA...Louisiana, as opposed to L.A., Los Angeles. <g>

I'll probably be attending with friends (and you prospective roomies know who you are already), but you never know what lies down the road, so I filled out my survey that I'd attend with a SO. We'll see. :)

I got interested in QL in the spring of 1994 during a Gulf Shores trip when we happened upon it one night and then made sure to watch it every night after that. I found the great rec.arts.sf.tv.quantum-leap, AKA rastql, in early 1995 and it quickly became my home. I suppose my QL "claim to fame" is coining the phrase "Al-coholic"...Kat even recently found my ages old confession from her Al-coholics Anonymous site!!! Somewhere in the Ziggy archives you can actually find the thread where the Al-coholic term started. <g>

Some of you on this board may know me from my fanfiction, both from the Virtual Seasons as well as on fanfiction.net. I tend to write, no big surprise, very Al-centered stories. There is just so much depth to that character!

I've only attended one Con...LeapCon 1996 which was kind of sad for me as Dean was well over 50% of the reason I went and he was unable to attend. For a while I was teased by some of the C-leapers (Christian QL group of which I'm one of the founding members) for missing IndyLeap by one week (my off week from my summer job didn't line up).

As for what I'm looking forward to with this one....meeting a lot of online friends for the first time, reuniting with others (such as our illustrious bartender as well as some other ladies), reminiscing, and HOPEFULLY being able to see Scott and Dean together! Also hopefully hitting the House That Walt Built with Miss Kat!! <g>

Well, I put "SO", but only 'cause there was no option for "family member". I was thinking of possibly bringing my sister, but it looks like she probably won't be up for it. So, I'll be coming alone, but I've already got possible roommates lined up.

I'm originally from California, and have been to LA more than once, so this won't be a major thing for me in terms of change of scenery. I've been living in Independence, Missouri, for the past 13 years, so I've been here longer than I have lived anywhere else in my life (3 or 4 houses in CA, and a stint in Colorado).

My childhood was filled with travel, so I'm a pro in that area, too. Been to all but three states west of the Mississippi (not including Alaska and Hawaii), and a couple east of it. Have driven the north, middle, and southern routes both to and from Kansas City and California, and am in love with flying on planes.

I'm currently in a transitional stage concerning religious beliefs. I'm at a point in my life where I tend to call myself more spiritual than religious. I have a tendency to mix and match my beliefs. And after some life-changing reading, I'm considering becoming officially a Gnostic Christian.

My main interests include writing, reading, art, filmmaking, and anything and everything Celtic/Irish (as well as medieval/renaissance and piratey!).

My QL "claim to fame" isn't much.... I'm the author of the unfortunately unfinished "The Mirror Shattered" fanscript; I'm also the original compiler of the Leaping Links page which I donated to Al's Place, and also the maintainer of the Quantum Leap Revival Initiative website (though that's not been updated in AGES). And, like Jennie, I'm a TOTAL Al-coholic and therefore tend to write stories that are Al-oriented... I've written two stories for the Virtual Seasons --"A Promise Fulfilled" (which I'd like to completely rewrite; a few years of writing can definitely make one embarrassed by old stories), and "The Valley of Death".

I was lucky enough to meet Dean Stockwell in November of 2001 at the Reno Film Festival. He's the coolest, nicest, most awesome guy I've ever met.

I can't wait to go to this convention, because I was thinking about when I got into QL, and I realized that when celebrating QL's 20th anniversary at the con, I'll also be celebrating my 10th year as a fan as well as nearly 10 years of knowing some of the people here on Al's Place (mostly those who migrated over from the Sci-Fi bboard). It will be the most amazing moment when I finally get to meet face-to-face these awesome, wonderful people that I'll have known for nearly a whole DECADE!

Ta ta for now!

:Love To All:
~ Joy ~

Let's see... I'm Jamie, from Michigan. I've been a QL fan since I was nine, when it first aired, though because the show aired at my bedtime, I wasn't able to see an episode all the way through until the fourth season, when I saw "Curse of Ptah-Hotep." My interest was renewed in high school, when I picked up one of the novels (Too Close for Comfort) from the library, and became reacquainted with the characters. Imagine my delight when, soon after, the Sci-Fi Channel announced they were going to air the show. I became a loyal fan, watching every episode I could (though I missed a few due to night college classes) and even planned out my own novel (be very, very glad I never submitted it!)

Unfortunately, I've never been to a con; most of them were held when I was too young to attend one, and had no money to my name. I only recently found out there were some smaller cons held within the last decade or so, and I'm sorry I didn't learn about them in time to attend. I did make up for it April of this year, however, by going down to DC and meeting Scott Bakula in person. I've never been able to actually spend time with fans, and I'm looking forward to meeting people I've encountered online.

Though I checked off that I might attend with an SO (because there was nothing for family member or friend) it doesn't look like I can persuade the people I was thinking of bringing to come along, after all, so I'm going to need a roommate (or roommates). I don't know anyone here very well, but I'm interested in meeting fellow fans!

We're going to have to get a little more specific with our follow-up survey (in January or February) -- several people marked that they'd be bringing "kids," but we don't know if that means toddlers or someone's grown-up child! And you're right, Jamie, we didn't include an option for bringing a friend or a sibling. And...we can't tell if the people who marked that they'd bring someone, had the "someone" fill out his or her own survey.

Those of you who've never attended a con, and know fellow fans only online -- I've met several of my dearest friends through fandom. There are some tremendously nice, generous people out there. It's true, there are some bad apples here and there, but that's by far the minority. Most fans are a lot of fun to be with.

Moreso than finding someone "nice" to room with, I think it's a question of lining up some buddies who have the same sleeping habits you do. I'm an early bird myself, and found out the hard way that it's tough to share a room with somebody who's a confirmed night owl. One "friend" informed me that I had BETTER NOT wake her when I got up in the morning -- but thought nothing of clattering and banging around the room when she got back from her partying at 2 a.m. Good times!!! :)

Since programming will start Friday morning around 9:00, I suspect some of our attendees will arrive on Thursday. That'd be a good time to arrange an early-bird dinner to meet and gab with fellow fans.

Hi, I know I'm doing this a lot later than most of you, only just decided to have a look around in here so thought I'd better introduce myself. I'm Amanda and I currently reside in Leicester, England, which is in the middle of the UK (not that far from Emma) but I'm originally from the North of England. I'll be travelling (as I alus do) to the con with my sister, Michelle and we're extending our holiday afterwards (the itinerary has already changed 3/4times!) We've both been fans of QL annd Scott since the beginning & through it we lkinda inherited Emma - think we first met up at 'Accelerate'?
We've been to a few cons but haven't yet done one of our own, although we werent on the convention for the con in Buxton we helped out soooo much that I think some of the guests (+ attendees) thought we were! We were also on the committee of what I think has now become known as 'the con that never was' in Birmingham
On a personal level I work nights (7 looooong night shifts in a row & 7 that seem a lot shorter off) in a busy (apperently in the top 3 in Europe!) A&E department. I love travelling (my last job was as a cruise consultant so got to do a fair bit then) and photography (and can't thank Emma enough for doing me a gorgeous website to house some of my pics) I have missed both of these things quite a bit in the last couple of years after I hurt my back at work & ended up having surgery last year so I'm just getting back on my feet & hoping that the limp, pain and weight I've gained whilst been immobile will be things of the past by the time this con arrives.

Aaaaw, gee, thanks, you inherited me? We met for the first time in November 1996 (remember, I'd just heard that Mr and Mrs Smith had judt been cancelled?), and, even though you'd been in my hotel room (eeew) at Accelerate, and saw me hopping around on my crutches, we didn't meet at the convention.

Anyway, welcome to the board!!

Oh, and if anyone wants to check out Amanda's photography, her website is: http://www.manusamerica.co.uk

EmmaCMF said:
Aaaaw, gee, thanks, you inherited me? We met for the first time in November 1996 (remember, I'd just heard that Mr and Mrs Smith had judt been cancelled?), and, even though you'd been in my hotel room (eeew) at Accelerate, and saw me hopping around on my crutches, we didn't meet at the convention.

Ohhh yes, you're right - oh well I've slept since then & I'm getting old & forgetful (thought I'd say it before 'someone' else does)
And how much of apain are crutches?

Anyway, welcome to the board!!

Ta, chuck:lol

Oh, and if anyone wants to check out Amanda's photography, her website is: http://www.manusamerica.co.uk

Ta, I didn't post this as wasn't sure if we were allowed

Last edited by a moderator:
CarolD said:
OK all,

Let's get the chatting going in this thread! Are you planning to come to the con on your own, and would like to share hotel expenses with a roomie? We've all got 2 years (and a few months) to get acquainted.

Even if you're attending with a friend, spouse, or SO, you can still introduce yourself. Who are you, and where are you from? How'd you get interested in QL? What are you most looking forward to, during con weekend and/or your visit to LA?

I'll start things off: I'm Carol, from New York. Some of you might know me as the author of the two Leap novels Obsessions and Mirror's Edge. I became a fan of QL with the first episode, and started writing QL fic in 1992. Something about the wonderful "heart" of all the episodes (and Scott's wonderful portrayal of Sam) appealed to me both as a viewer and as a writer.

Con-wise -- I attended all 5 of the 1990s cons, and worked as a committee member on 1995 and 1996.

On a more personal level, I have pet birds and love talking about them; also enjoy movies, TV (looking forward to the season premieres of my favorites - Supernatural, Lost, 24, Veronica Mars), staying in fancy hotels, and seeing new places.

What I'm looking forward to the most about the con is the chance to meet all of you! See ya there...

I am going to bring the best friend I am constantly mentioning on here. She is the one you can all thank for my being a member here, she introduced me to Ql.

I will say a bit about myself anyway since Carol mention that I can.
My name is Cyd as most of you know. I am going to be 20 next month and I live in Cali USA. I love to write stories and I am a writing major in college. IN my heart I am still quite a kid, I love t-shirts with cute stuff on it, and I have some pretty childish fears and behaviors, but people like that about me...I think.

the things I like to do best are write stories, and fanfics and chat with my best friend on AIM. I also like to come here and see whats going on and to share my ideas on the worlds most awsome show.

i'm hopefully gonna do my best to get to the con, got plenty of time to save up, i'm from the uk and will be coming to the con on my own as no-one will come with me :( plus my mates are fans of the show,
my other favourite show apart from QL is most haunted :)

Hi, I'm new here. Just wanted to say 'hi' and introduce myself. I live in West Hartford, Connecticut and have been a huge fan of Quantum Leap since the begining. I hope to make it to the convention in 2009. So far, I don't have any friends as interested as I am in going. I used to watch Quantum Leap with my mother and brother when it first came out. It has always been one of my favorite shows, especially since I've always like anything that has to do with time travel. Am I leaving anything out? I hope to make a few new friends here, and I guess that's basically it.

G'day eveyone, my name is Belinda and I am from Melbourne, Australia. I certainly hope to make it to the Con but 2 years is such a long time away but i guess it gives me plenty of time to save money . . . and convince my husband. I can remember watching Quantum Leap when I was in highschool. My whole family would sit around the tv and watch it and I am not sure there are many shows (with the new reality tv wave) that you could do that for now. I have never been to any quantum leap conventions given that I live so far away however this year I did attend my first Star Trek Convention in Vegas where I got the chance to briefly meet Scott. The convention was great and even my husband (who i had to drag along) had a good time. Having also been a member of a forum before I went to that convention I can honestly say it is a lot of fun meeting up with everyone that you talk to and it makes the convention so much more than just a chance to meet your favourite star. Until recently I did not know that there were quantum leap books and so while the series has now ended for me I do still have a few books to get through which is comforting to know. I already miss quantum leap.

QL and other Reading

Hi Belinda! Great to meet you. I was at the ST Con in Vegas as well. I plan to go to this Con when it happens in 2009!

Until recently I did not know that there were quantum leap books and so while the series has now ended for me I do still have a few books to get through which is comforting to know. I already miss quantum leap.
Be sure to check out the Al's Place Virtual Seasons. These are episodes in prose (take about an hour or so to read). The Virtual Seasons are now in their 13th season (5 years show + 8 years VS = 13 seasons.) They are fun to read! (NOTE: The stories are post Mirror Image so Al has only been with Beth and has daughters...and the story has evolved over time. However, it's a great ride so enjoy catching up!)

Also...multiple fanfiction (not VS)...some in Al's Place Original FanFiction By Members and also at FanFiction.net (choose TV Show, Quantum Leap).

ALSO at FanFiction.net are multiple Star Trek fanfiction including Enterprise. (choose TV Show, Star Trek: Enterprise.) You can use the search features to narrow the field a bit.

At FanFiction.net if you don't mind a more mature theme...you can put in the search to look at all ratings which would include the M stories as well.

Some of the fanfiction is really good. Check it out!

Hi. I'm Sarah. I posted a little for a while (not too much by my count) and then moved onto Lurk status. Due to being too young to see first airings and never having cable, I've been introduced by the DVDs. I just finished season 5 last night and now feel like I can really post and such on the boards.

If all goes well, my brother and I will be attending.

Hi all.

I'm Hayden, 20, from Melbourne Australia.

I was first introduced to Quantum Leap by my mother, when she HAD to tape EVERY episode that aired the second time the series was shown.

I'm definitely trying to save money, but being a university student (about to start 3rd year of a Bachelor of Applied Mathematics degree) with very little work during the school holidays, it's pretty tough.

I'd definitely like to take my mother along if I can get the money though... Otherwise I'll just take myself (as she's a bit skeptical at the moment lol).

I don't have a claim to Quantum Leap fame... but I am a good friend of Paulini Curuenavuli, who came 4th in the first season of Australian Idol, and the Young Divas, a girl group made of former idols (which Paulini is a part of). To hear some of her/their stuff, go to youtube and type "Paulini" or "Young Divas" into the search engine.

I didn't mention I'm from Oklahoma. Would love to fly out with someone else! I can leave from Tulsa or Oklahoma City I suppose (and maybe even DFW if there's a real price difference since I'm from the southern part of the state.

I'd love to hear from other Okies!

Well I am coming with my best friend so I don't need a hotel buddy but I will say a little about myself anyway.

My name is Cyd as most of you know, and I live in Cali about a six to eight hour drive from the con's location in LA, and I am a junior college student at Mission College. I am 20 years old and I had two fish named Sam and Al but Sam died shortly following my father and Al died a couple days ago. I have a best friend named Kristen whom I met when we we were in sixth grade and have been like sisters ever since even now that she goes to college in another city now.
I was first introduced to Ql by my best friend on April 22, 2005 who was introduced by a guy friend of ours. We have not been to any of the past cons due to being introduced to this wonderful show too late. So we are real excited about this con.
I love to write stories, its my greatest hobbie and my only talent I hope to someday be a nobel prize winning novelest. Right now my favorite thing to write about is none other than awsome QL. especially with my best friend, we love to stya up late and come up with diologue, and funny and cute situations to put Sam in on AIM. We also have a plot going where Sam got Donna Pregnant in The Leap Back and now Al is helping to support her through the pregnancy in Sam's place. the baby is a daughter to be named Chelsea after Scott's real life daughter.
We love talking about the show as well and coming up with new understandings of confusing concepts and then I love to come on here and pass them on to you guys :)
I also have two stories in progress one of which I hope to audition for the VS but one of them is real complicated and I am having trouble with it. The other is just not getting done because I am being a lazy *** :p boo me.
Like I said this will be my best friend's and my first con and we are real excited and hope to meet Scott and Dean if they can make it, but if not then we will surely enjoy ourselves by means of other stuff. oooh, I hope there will be t-shirts I just love t-shirts hehe.

making the trip

i'm Ben from sussex which is on the south coast of england and have been a fan of QL for years. i've never been to a convention but i cant wait to go to the the LEAP BACK 2009 con. anyone who is going over from the uk and looking for someone to room with, it would be great to hear from you

I'm another midwesterner in the group, in the state of Kansas. Been a fan of Quantum Leap since I saw "Quantum Leap Week" when I was about seven. Really didn't understand much about it, but I knew what I liked!

I missed the Kansas City convention, I was in 8th grade at the time, parents wouldn't let me go. Now I'm an independent adult, almost done with my undergraduate degree, and working as a professional magician. Barring any professional comittments, I will be there in 2009

We (on the committee) have been a little remiss at saying HI to everyone here -- but, um...HI! We're so glad that there's such a huge amount of interest in the con. Not sure if webmaster Brian has posted it elsewhere, but almost TWELVE HUNDRED people sent in an e-mail address to be added to our mailing list. When we first starting putting this thing together, our fingers were tightly crossed that 100 people would sign up.

It truly looks like the con is going to be a terrific celebration of the 20th anniversary. We're in the process of putting together some columns and articles to let all of you know what's going on behind the scenes. It may not seem like much is happening, but rest assured, the wheels are moving! We're doing our utmost to put together a great guest list, great programming, and lots of extras for you guys. So stay tuned...

Hiya, Josh! You're (somewhat) close to me! And how ironic! I was in 8th grade when the KC convention happened, too. But unfortunately, I wasn't a QL fan 'til around 2000, so didn't know about the convention (and if I had, I wouldn't have been interested).

Joy

I'm cntemplating coming from Vancouver, Canada to join the con goers. I likely won't have anyone with me as I am alone in my strange quantum leap fanaticism. I wish I had known that a site like this existed years ago. I could have read all the VS by now :hurray:

I will likely need a roomate, but I am not sure I will be coming at this point.