Fun piece of Quantum Leap - "Mirror Image" title card.

wired525

Project QL Intern
Oct 4, 2014
I once worked at a TV and film post production facility long closed called Sunset Post where they did the finishing work on my favorite TV show Quantum Leap. This was back in the dark ages of the early 90s. Credits were done for old shows like this with practical animation cells colored black with white stenciled letters. This was keyed over the image with color / shadow added and PRESTO - instant credits! The animation cells were then tossed in the garbage, but I saved one back then from landfill oblivion. It's the title card from the series finale episode! You can see my original cell at the main Al's Place website here:
http://quantumleap-alsplace.com/mirror.htm

I finally found an interesting way to display this cool piece of QL history. I printed out a screen grab from the very end of the show and placed the cell underneath it. I had the screen grab laser cut by computer to perfectly reveal the original letters beneath. Add in an adjustable $30 LED from IKEA and I can now tweak it to perfect accurate show color! The front picture pops off so I can show the original ugly cell in all its shabby glory to the curious. It's my own little piece of Quantum Leap.

Check out the pics of the final results, screen grabs from how the credit actually appeared in the final aired show, and hear the full story of where the cell came from at this link to the "Quantum Leap Podcast" where I was interviewed about it by the very cool Albert Burdge:
http://quantumleappodcast.com/interviews/skipper-martin/

Skipper Martin

Mr Martin,

Thank you so much for signing up and posting about this here, as well as participating in the Quantum Leap Podcast! It's always nice to hear these behind-the-scenes details.

I just finished watching your Law & Order telecine doc. Fascinating. I personally don't feel that film preservation should be limited to the theater. There's plenty of good TV that deserves to be shown in the best quality possible. I've followed the guys at CBS Digital who mounted the HD remaster of Star Trek TNG. They had to go back to the elements since everything in 87-93 was being posted to D1 (probably pretty exciting for the time but it doesn't really stand up today).

Thanks again!

"They had to go back to the elements since everything in 87-93 was being posted to D1 (probably pretty exciting for the time but it doesn't really stand up today)."

Ugh. D1 was a pain in the butt. One of those formats I'm happy is mostly long gone. I don't miss those machines at all.

I hope the ST:TNG project inspires others to remaster from original negatives. What's the point in storing away all these lovely original elements if we don't bother using them. Eh?