Downmixed

Scott Kirkessner

Project QL Intern
Mar 29, 2006
Glendale, AZ
www.kr2k.com
Hello, I am new here!

According to some of the vid clips on this wonderful site, QL4 was presented "In Stereo - Where Available" but the DVD release is in English 2.0 Dolby Digital. It seems that Universal, in the midst of cutting our beloved songs downmixed the release as well.

Grr!

Over at the Knight Rider boards, we've been using QL as an example of what to possibly expect in future releases of KR (music cuts and etc). Season 4 of that series was the only one released in Stereo and now we're expecting it to be downmixed as well.

:censored

Anyway, I'll cruise over to the n00b section to properly introduce myself!

-Scott

I just looked up the difference and found this on timefordvd.com:

Dolby Digital is a lossy audio encoding scheme that supports up to 5.1 channels of discrete audio. In actuality, a Dolby Digital soundtrack may be composed of less than 5.1 channels. For example, Dolby Digital 1.0 is mono audio (single track of audio information), while Dolby Digital 2.0 is stereo (in which Dolby Surround or Dolby Surround Pro-Logic can be encoded).

Scott Kirkessner said:
Over at the Knight Rider boards, we've been using QL as an example of what to possibly expect in future releases of KR (music cuts and etc). Season 4 of that series was the only one released in Stereo and now we're expecting it to be downmixed as well.

Most of the Quantum Leap comparisons probably came from me. I go by the name Lost Knight over there. :lol :kitt: :leappark

Incidentially, Dolby Digital 4.0 is Dolby Pro Logic but discretely encoded. It's not encountered very often. Left, Right, Front/Center, Rear.

Dolby Digital 5.0 is even rarer. Disney's Tarzan DVD and the first Jurassic Park DVD are both examples of 5.0 (even tho JP is erroneously labeled 5.1). If you don't have large tower full-range speakers, you should tell your dolby digital receiver/amp that you have "Small" speakers which will redirect bass frequencies to your subwoofer. Many people complained that the Dolby Digital Jurassic Park DVD had no "ooph" on their systems. Those people had medium or small speakers with no woofers.

Yea, in my dorm room I had a decent player with a subwoofer and 5 other speakers. It was an all in one thing with the dvd and receiver as the same unit.

When I moved home, I didn't hook it back up because the lil fan for the DVD player system stopped working and I'd rather not melt a disc or set the thing on fire!

But when I had it set up, watching movies was rather fun!

BTW, hey Lost Knight!!

-Scott