Al's Place Quantum Leap Online Community

Al's Place Quantum Leap Online Community (http://quantumleap-alsplace.com/forum/index.php)
-   Quantum Leap General Discussion (http://quantumleap-alsplace.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Interesting Observations/Facts/Questions about Quantum Leap (http://quantumleap-alsplace.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6331)

Sam Beckett Fan 08-26-2014 07:45 PM

Wow, that's insane!
I love that photo by the way, it's adorable.

Lightning McQueenie 09-05-2014 12:26 AM

Something that I recently observed - in "Jimmy", Sam resuscitates Corey after he'd drowned. Since Corey was so close to death, he really should have seen Sam as Sam and also seen Al...

Scotophor 09-05-2014 02:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lightning McQueenie (Post 60207)
I noticed:

- Angelita and Stawpah are both dead and help out the living. When Angelita succeeds, we see her walk away from Sam and he forgets everything, while Stawpah simply leaps immediately. Imagine what we all would have thought if instead of Angelita walking off, she leapt...

If Angelita is an angel (as the show's makers would have us believe), then IMO you're mistaken to call her "dead". Contrary to what many movies, cartoons and television shows depict, angels are not spirits of dead people. According to the Judeo-Christian biblical view, angels are some of God's creatures, who just happen to be created in the spiritual realm rather than the earthly realm.

leaper1 09-05-2014 03:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scotophor (Post 61435)
If Angelita is an angel (as the show's makers would have us believe), then IMO you're mistaken to call her "dead". Contrary to what many movies, cartoons and television shows depict, angels are not spirits of dead people. According to the Judeo-Christian biblical view, angels are some of God's creatures, who just happen to be created in the spiritual realm rather than the earthly realm.

But Angelita specifically said she had been alive. She was a flapper and did the charleston, remember? She took a dive into the orchestra pit - auditioning for West Side Story if I remember rightly - and that is what killed her. She is Sam's 'guardian angel' sent to protect him. It was an assignment given her because she had 'too big an ego' and had to learn to care about others.

Sam Beckett Fan 09-05-2014 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scotophor (Post 61435)

That's only one view and Quantum Leap seems to focus largely on a Catholic take which seems from my research to have a divided faith in this area. Some believe that mortals when they pass do become angels. Though there are several verses in the bible that have come up in my findings that seem to say you are right, That humans are not equal to Angels. We become bodiless spirits when we pass but are still inferior.

This is irrelevant however as Angels in Hollywood fiction are almost always deceased mortals and Angela/Angelita being very indiscreet boasts to everyone she meets that she is an Angel. She's also revealed to have once been living/mortal in three ways:
1.) She tells Sam how she'd died while performing a theater audition.
2.) Ziggy was able to find a record of her, something that would be impossible with a being who wasn't born on earth and thus has no birth certificate. She'd had trouble finding it but that's because Angela's lifetime was long before Sam's (even slightly before Al's).
3.) Her explanation as to why she must return to earth to guide the living is exactly worded: "They said IN LIFE I was too vein, I had too big an ego."

It IS possible that said huge ego had caused her to use the wrong word but that is mere speculation.

Lightning McQueenie 10-20-2014 08:42 AM

It is a really nice touch that Adam Affonso, who played Young Sam in Genesis, was brought back to be Young Sam in the mirror image shots of the Leap Home part 1 :D

http://quantumleap-alsplace.com/img/...esis/1_169.jpg

http://img4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb2.../Young_Sam.jpg

http://www.eddysplace-online.de/imag...lypics/sam.jpg

TylerMeans 03-31-2015 06:53 PM

I was watching "The Leap Back" last week and I have this nagging question:
What happened to the guy that Al leaped into?
Was he in the imaging chamber all the time?
There is no mention of him throughout the episode. Sam was enjoying his reunion with his wife, while the rest of the team was trying to fugure out why Al leaped into this particular guy.

Then Sam leaps in, Al leaps back to the present day and we can all assume that when Sam did leap the guy returned to his time and place...

This never bothered me when I first saw the ep but it sure bugs me now....:rolleyes

blue enigma 03-31-2015 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TylerMeans (Post 61631)
There is no mention of him throughout the episode. Sam was enjoying his reunion with his wife, while the rest of the team was trying to fugure out why Al leaped into this particular guy.

Then Sam leaps in, Al leaps back to the present day and we can all assume that when Sam did leap the guy returned to his time and place...

This is an interesting point. We know from the pilot episode that someone -- be it Al or Verbena or another person -- talks to the leapee in the waiting room to get information. In this case though I don't know that the leapee could've given them any information that would've been helpful. I doubt he had any idea that the other guy planned to kill them.

Lightning McQueenie 04-01-2015 04:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TylerMeans (Post 61631)

This never bothered me when I first saw the ep but it sure bugs me now....:rolleyes

If the Imaging Chamber was sealed off because of fear of radioactive fallout, it makes sense that the Waiting Room was probably sealed off too. So Tom was probably stuck in the Waiting Room in solitary confinement, until Al sent the letter that told them how to override. They probably had to hurry to look after him after that. Good thing they did too, otherwise he might have died of thirst...

Lightning McQueenie 04-07-2015 12:10 AM

Has anyone noticed the multiple appearances of Calla Lilies throughout Quantum Leap? So Help Me God, Future Boy, MIA... Now we know why :D

https://scontent-lax.xx.fbcdn.net/hp...49&oe=55AF73D2

Deborah also told me that she got to keep the Calla Lilies that were in Beth's garden in MIA. She planted them in her own garden, and they are still growing there to this day :D

Lightning McQueenie 08-31-2015 04:08 AM

I had a thought - it's funny that when the show did homages to "A Christmas Carol" and "It's A Wonderful Life", they didn't do one for "Groundhog Day". They actually already have the means to do it, because Sam would just have to keep redoing the same leap over and over until he finally completes his mission :P

leaper1 08-31-2015 04:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lightning McQueenie (Post 61764)
I had a thought - it's funny that when the show did homages to "A Christmas Carol" and "It's A Wonderful Life", they didn't do one for "Groundhog Day". They actually already have the means to do it, because Sam would just have to keep redoing the same leap over and over until he finally completes his mission :P

Groundhog Day wasn't released until 1993 - the same year QL finished. It would have been a bit new for such an homage.
Though in a way, that's exactly what is going on in 'Mirror Image' - the events in the mine keep playing out for Stawpah until Sam leaps in to save Tonchi & Pete.

Lightning McQueenie 09-01-2015 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leaper1 (Post 61765)
Groundhog Day wasn't released until 1993 - the same year QL finished. It would have been a bit new for such an homage.
Though in a way, that's exactly what is going on in 'Mirror Image' - the events in the mine keep playing out for Stawpah until Sam leaps in to save Tonchi & Pete.

That's a good point about Mirror Image. It just seemed odd to me that if they wanted to do a holiday show, they have the perfect film to emulate :)

On another note - in "Leap of Faith", Tony actually beat the death penalty because there weren't any witnesses (Father Mac admits he pretended to have seen it), and so was only ever convicted of the attempted murder of Father Pistano (Sam), which actually DID have a witness.

Lightning McQueenie 12-11-2015 08:52 AM

This is an idea that someone came up with on the Podcast Facebook page:

They should have done a spinoff series about Angela.

What an AWESOME idea! It could be an anthology, just like Sam's story, with her "leaping" to different people to help them out, but this time as a guardian angel, rather than a time traveller.

SPEECHLESS!

leaper1 12-11-2015 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lightning McQueenie (Post 61850)
This is an idea that someone came up with on the Podcast Facebook page:

They should have done a spinoff series about Angela.

What an AWESOME idea! It could be an anthology, just like Sam's story, with her "leaping" to different people to help them out, but this time as a guardian angel, rather than a time traveller.

SPEECHLESS!

Brilliant idea! I'd watch that for sure. Maybe someone should do a fanfic series.

Lightning McQueenie 12-13-2015 05:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leaper1 (Post 61851)
Brilliant idea! I'd watch that for sure. Maybe someone should do a fanfic series.

You're the writer out of the two of us Helen :P

leaper1 12-13-2015 06:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lightning McQueenie (Post 61852)
You're the writer out of the two of us Helen :P

I'd love to say I'd take it on, but I have too many projects on the boil at the moment as it is.

Anyone else wanna step up?

Lightning McQueenie 12-23-2015 07:52 AM

I had a thought - rewatching "A Little Miracle" (possibly the best take on "A Christmas Carol" in all television btw :P ) it was a fluke that Michael Blake's brainwaves were on a similar enough frequency to be able to pick up Al, so Al retunes his frequency so that he is off Blake's radar, until he's needed to be the Ghost of Christmas Future.

Do you think that Al would be able to do this with anybody? If he was able to find their frequency of course. This could make things a lot easier on leaps if he had to pass on a message and Sam was indisposed...

leaper1 12-23-2015 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lightning McQueenie (Post 61861)
I had a thought - rewatching "A Little Miracle" (possibly the best take on "A Christmas Carol" in all television btw :P ) it was a fluke that Michael Blake's brainwaves were on a similar enough frequency to be able to pick up Al, so Al retunes his frequency so that he is off Blake's radar, until he's needed to be the Ghost of Christmas Future.

Do you think that Al would be able to do this with anybody? If he was able to find their frequency of course. This could make things a lot easier on leaps if he had to pass on a message and Sam was indisposed...

Now, now, that would make things TOO easy Hayden!

Lightning McQueenie 12-23-2015 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leaper1 (Post 61862)
Now, now, that would make things TOO easy Hayden!

That is true, maybe there's only a limited number of possible frequencies Al can take in order to be connected to Sam and make the holographic link in the first place. Compared with the number of possible frequencies there are, then the chances of it ever happening again is probably slim to nothing...

Lightning McQueenie 07-21-2016 08:49 AM

A thought crossed my mind - we know that Sam can impregnate a woman during his leaps.

Let's say for example during Alia's leap into Connie, that she took over her nightly wifely duties with Frank (if you know what I mean ;) ) and ended up pregnant. Would the baby leap with her when she does? Does this mean that when she does go into labour, it could be in an entirely different time and place than when it was conceived? Would the aura of the leapee appear pregnant at the same time? Or would it just appear that a baby appears out of nowhere? And let's not even try to get our heads around what would happen if she was in a man's aura when she goes into labour >_<

blue enigma 07-21-2016 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lightning McQueenie (Post 62143)
A thought crossed my mind - we know that Sam can impregnate a woman during his leaps.

Let's say for example during Alia's leap into Connie, that she took over her nightly wifely duties with Frank (if you know what I mean ;) ) and ended up pregnant. Would the baby leap with her when she does? Does this mean that when she does go into labour, it could be in an entirely different time and place than when it was conceived? Would the aura of the leapee appear pregnant at the same time? Or would it just appear that a baby appears out of nowhere? And let's not even try to get our heads around what would happen if she was in a man's aura when she goes into labour >_<

These are interesting questions and worth considering if we speculate that Sammy Jo leaped to find Sam (or took his place so he could have a rest). My own personal conclusion is that leaping and childbearing are incompatible, so a woman who is leaping couldn't become pregnant while leaping (or possibly at all -- wasn't the accelerator nuclear in design? I could be wrong about that, but if so the radiation could possibly impair the woman's ability to bear children).

As far as Alia, however, we can assume that Alia as Connie wasn't performing any of her wifely duties with Frank, including (or even especially) the nightly ones, in order to accomplish her goal to drive him away and wreck the family.

Lightning McQueenie 07-22-2016 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blue enigma (Post 62144)
These are interesting questions and worth considering if we speculate that Sammy Jo leaped to find Sam (or took his place so he could have a rest). My own personal conclusion is that leaping and childbearing are incompatible, so a woman who is leaping couldn't become pregnant while leaping (or possibly at all -- wasn't the accelerator nuclear in design? I could be wrong about that, but if so the radiation could possibly impair the woman's ability to bear children).

As far as Alia, however, we can assume that Alia as Connie wasn't performing any of her wifely duties with Frank, including (or even especially) the nightly ones, in order to accomplish her goal to drive him away and wreck the family.

Interesting idea, but I'd have to respectfully disagree. If Sam's swimmers weren't affected by the leaping, then why should we believe that a female's reproductive system would be affected?

As for Alia, you're right that Alia as Connie was probably neglecting Frank in the bedroom, but let's say, for the sake of argument, she had sex with another person (that would be one way to wreck the home after all), then it's theoretically possible she could become pregnant.

I'm also sure if Zoe was a permanent leaper she'd be bed hopping, but she may be above child-bearing age...

blue enigma 07-22-2016 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lightning McQueenie (Post 62147)
Interesting idea, but I'd have to respectfully disagree. If Sam's swimmers weren't affected by the leaping, then why should we believe that a female's reproductive system would be affected?

The logistics are different and it wouldn't work. If we have a female leaper lost in time and unable to go home the way Sam is how is she going to actually have the baby? Is it going to be the leapee's baby once she actually bears the child, even though the leaper is the one who is pregnant in body? Do we assume that G/T/F/W is going to give her maternity leave and let her go home to have the baby so she's not in someone else's aura (and so, you know, she can have a baby in relative safety)? What about prenatal care? And what happens to the child after she gives birth? Not to mention having to leap while pregnant which would be an extremely uncomfortable nine months, and that's assuming it's a straightforward pregnancy with no issues like preeclampsia, etc. Sam as a man could just dump his seed and go on his merry way. Alia or another female leaper wouldn't have that option.

Lightning McQueenie 07-23-2016 07:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blue enigma (Post 62149)
The logistics are different and it wouldn't work. If we have a female leaper lost in time and unable to go home the way Sam is how is she going to actually have the baby? Is it going to be the leapee's baby once she actually bears the child, even though the leaper is the one who is pregnant in body? Do we assume that G/T/F/W is going to give her maternity leave and let her go home to have the baby so she's not in someone else's aura (and so, you know, she can have a baby in relative safety)? What about prenatal care? And what happens to the child after she gives birth? Not to mention having to leap while pregnant which would be an extremely uncomfortable nine months, and that's assuming it's a straightforward pregnancy with no issues like preeclampsia, etc. Sam as a man could just dump his seed and go on his merry way. Alia or another female leaper wouldn't have that option.

And those sort of questions are the very reason why I love this show, there's so much to think about :D

Moviefan2k4 02-25-2017 10:35 PM

I still love Angelita's line to Al about heaven: "There's a dress code." :lol

Lightning McQueenie 12-08-2017 06:06 AM

Keep your eyes peeled for the Quantum Leap Podcast Christmas special, to be released in the near future, about the episode "A Little Miracle".

It's funny because during our discussion, we found that none of us could agree on who represented the Ghosts of Christmas Past and Present (Al obviously was the Ghost of Christmas future), so I was wondering what everyone's thoughts were?

My take is that Sam represents the Ghost of Christmas Past, as he is the one who found the box of photographs, and is the one who took Blake to the neighbourhood where he grew up; and that Captain Downey represented the Ghost of Christmas Present, as she was representative of everything that Blake wanted at that point in time.

However, a couple of alternatives were given - Albie thinking that Sam actually represented the Ghost of Christmas Present, and that the past was represented by the photos. Amanda agreed with Sam being the Ghost of the Present, but thought that the Ghost of the Past was represented by Blake's childhood friend.

What does everyone else think?

Lightning McQueenie 10-07-2018 10:08 PM

Something that could have been an interesting wrinkle would have been if the results of Sam's intervention into Donna's life had stayed ambiguous, it could have been that his host in Star Crossed could have been the man she fell in love with and was going to marry first, and Sam's intervention actually pushed her into his arms... What other interesting wrinkles can you think of that could have been?

tlw 10-11-2018 07:56 PM

Why I believe it's Sam's spirit that leaps, not his physical body

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lightning McQueenie (Post 60207)
Hi all, this is a thread where we can post miscellaneous Quantum Leap observations/facts/questions that pop into your head.

A few things I noticed:

- Angelita and Stawpah are both dead and help out the living. When Angelita succeeds, we see her walk away from Sam and he forgets everything, while Stawpah simply leaps immediately. Imagine what we all would have thought if instead of Angelita walking off, she leapt...

- We have seen in the Wrong Stuff that because Bobo is incapable of human speech, his aura prevents Sam from being able to be understood. Does this mean that if Sam leaps into someone who doesn't speak English, if he tried to speak in English, the aura would not be able to?

- Sam has leapt into women on numerous occasions. What would him peeing look like if someone walked in on him? Would it look like the leapee is aiming without anything to aim with? Or would it just look like the pee is coming out of nowhere? Perhaps Sam should just pee sitting down during these leaps :P

- We know that Sam is not dead, but his project enabled him to do what some dead people (angels) do, try to put right what once went wrong. Do you think when he eventually dies, he will continue to do what the angels do? Or do you think he'll finally decide to rest?

- We know that it is not really GFTW leaping Sam around (even though it has been known to intervene if it looks like Sam is going to fail), but rather Sam is leaping himself. Does this mean that his Swiss-cheesed brain is really himself subconsciously blocking out anything that could prevent him from doing his life's work? I think it is, considering we have seen numerous occasions when the Swiss-cheese effect can be at least partially overcome if the leaper has a specific task in mind when leaping (e.g. Sam leaping into Al and preventing his murder, Bingo leaping into himself in the past to prevent Chip from murdering Commander Ricker's wife, Zoe leaping to kill Alia). This would explain why even though he does start remembering portions of his life, he continually remains oblivious to his marriage to Donna, as remembering he is married could prevent him from doing the job, which Al so eloquently put "is a dirty job, but someone has to do it" ;)

Any thoughts on the points I have raised? Or does anyone have any other tidbits they'd like to contribute? :)

The first time he leaped into a woman, are we supposed to believe that no one is going to notice that the clothes, shoes, pantyhose don't fit. How is he supposed to fit his size 12 (or however big his feet were) into the young secretary's shoes.

tlw 10-11-2018 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sam Beckett Fan (Post 60217)
Having needed to step out earlier I was unable to include in my previous post, the Stawpah thing never made complete sense to me but nor does most of that episode. Though I find it can not be a coincidence that Stawpah is suggested to have been Al's uncle.

The difference I hypothesize between him and Angela is that perhaps Stawpah never left the earthly plain making him a wondering spirit as opposed to an angel. This is the only way I can make sense of their different exits.

It makes sense to me that Stawpah is a wandering spirit because he felt he had unfinished business because he couldn't help his fellow miners.