Al's Place Quantum Leap Online Community

Al's Place Quantum Leap Online Community (http://quantumleap-alsplace.com/forum/index.php)
-   Quantum Leap: Season Two (http://quantumleap-alsplace.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   213 Another Mother (http://quantumleap-alsplace.com/forum/showthread.php?t=587)

alsplacebartender 02-18-2003 12:30 PM

213 Another Mother
 
Another Mother
September 30, 1981


Scottsdale, Arizona


As a mother of a teenager, a pre-teen, and a toddler, Sam must prevent the kidnapping and disappearance of her son while at the same time managing all the duties of a Mom! To complicate matters, the toddler, Teresa, can see Al and knows that Sam is not her mother.

This episode has a novel sequel and is Al's Place Bartender's favorite episode!


Written by: Deborah Pratt
Directed by: Joseph L. Scanlan


Rate and comment on this episode!

alsplacebartender 02-28-2003 06:21 PM

This is my favorite episode in the entire series!

jmstone65 03-01-2003 01:15 AM

:D I really did like this episode it is one of my favorites.I really
like how Al sang Teresa a sleep.

mstalanon 03-06-2003 01:13 AM

Sam finding out just how hard it is to be a working mom!! Man, with all the problems I've personally had lately, it has a whole new truth to it as well!! heheheh

I thought the abduction scene was well done. And of course, it's pure cannon for it brings in Sam's martial arts background... I just wish they would have thought of it in the first season when he was the "Boxer"...

Matt

Vince Beckett 10-05-2005 10:26 PM

This was very good. This is where you learn about Sam's knowledge of martial arts and you also find out that children under the age of 5 can see Sam and Al. Great sequel in the virtual seasons.

Amywhirlybird 08-23-2006 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmstone65
:D I really did like this episode it is one of my favorites.I really
like how Al sang Teresa a sleep.

Excellent episode, my favourite one with Al in, loved it when he sings to Teresa (later found out is the producers daughter called Troian!) no wonder Dean Stockwell likes the girl, shows through his acting - totally believable. love the song :D :dreaming 8) :hurray:

veggie 09-09-2006 09:24 PM

Quote:

I really did like this episode it is one of my favorites.I really
like how Al sang Teresa a sleep.
Me too - it's so cute, but what I like most about that scene is how it's almost exactly like the scene from Anchors Aweigh, when Dean was the little kid and Frank Sinatra was the one singing him to sleep. I just thought it was nice to see it come full circle.

Namaste 09-16-2006 04:41 PM

I absolutely love this episode. My favorite scenes are with Al and Teresa, they are just so precious. Al's off-key singing of 'Inchworm' is probably one of the absolute best moments in the show. It's hard to believe that the girl who played Teresa is now a grown up. That episode is most definitely a gem.

Janna Galaxy 10-10-2006 12:53 PM

My fave bit is

Teresa "What's 'Surcular Intercourse?'" (she was trying to say sexual)
Al "It's a game grown ups play"

That always cracks me up!!!! lol!!!

cookiemom6067 05-18-2007 01:17 PM

I adore this episode, not least because the kids are approximately similar ages to my own three kids. As a former Girl Scout leader, I love the line when Kevin looks at the knocked out bad guys and says, "Mom! HOW?" and Sam says, "Girl Scouts."

As the mom of a teenage son, I LOVED LOVED LOVED Sam's speech about virginity. "It doesn't matter if you're male or female. And there's no special time it has to happen. But there does have to be a special reason - when you love someone so much that making love with them is the most natural way of expressing it." Perfection.

Zhair 05-19-2007 09:32 AM

Another great episode. The kids had a lot of fun dialogue and made the most of it. Just a good story all around.

isz 07-07-2007 01:31 PM

The first episode of QL with Ziggy interduction in the series...to bad it took them 22 episode to come with it.
Anywway... Sam as a mom was quite entertaining,and i really liked Troian Bellisario role as Teresa,but...I found the story itself a bit below good. Not something unforgetable(Not even close,actuelly) like "The Color of Truth","Man of la mancha", "Good night dear heart","last dance before an execution", "MIA","Mirror Image" and a few more.

bluedana 07-09-2007 10:17 AM

As my kids get older, I like this one more and more. My favorite bit is Teresa's delivery of the line: "That'snotMommythat'saman." Just the way she says it cracks me up. And the dialogue among the three kids is very believable.

It's a little painful to watch the practical joke scene, because the son is so humiliated. I guess it's done well, since I want to reach through the screen and slap all of his "friends."

Quote:

Me too - it's so cute, but what I like most about that scene is how it's almost exactly like the scene from Anchors Aweigh, when Dean was the little kid and Frank Sinatra was the one singing him to sleep. I just thought it was nice to see it come full circle.
That's the first time I've heard this. I'll have to watch that movie someday, if only for that scene! Thanks for the info.

Sam Beckett Fan 07-09-2007 06:19 PM

I love how she says:
"thats not my mommy thats a man, and so's the guy in the yukky shirt"
Al: hey this is my favorite shirt this is cutting edge stuff!
Teresa: It's yukky!

and Al looks at her like "Hey!"
I am laughing just typing this.

I also love when Al is in the back of the van with a tied up Kevin and one of the dudes crawls back there and towards Kevin and Al responds with:
"You lay one hand on this kid you slimeball and I'll Kill yah, I don't know how, but I'll kill yah."

Snish 07-09-2007 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluedana
That's the first time I've heard this. I'll have to watch that movie someday, if only for that scene! Thanks for the info.

It's a looooong movie... but little Dean steals the show. It was his first film, at age 8. It also includes the classic scene of Gene Kelly dancing with animated Jerry Mouse, which was state-of-the-art special effects for the time.

Anyway, Another Mother is one of my favorites. Just a lot of fun, yucky shirt and all.

Indiana Leaper 02-06-2008 02:22 PM

Brillant one this...Al is the man here and he shows it..Al made a promise to the little girl he would come back..I don't think he ever did though!...As mentioned here Al came back in the virtual seasons..does anyone know what series and espisode that was...I would love to read it...

alsplacebartender 02-06-2008 08:17 PM

He comes back in one of the novels - Angel's Unaware. Check it out on the website under Novels & Books.

Lightning McQueenie 02-08-2008 06:27 PM

This is a good episode, I particularly like how Sam and Al take on the "Mum and Dad" roles, squabbling like an old married couple haha. And it makes you realise just how good a dad Al would have been if he'd had the chance. But as someone said, I only voted good because this episode is somewhat forgettable as opposed to some others.

Al R. 08-21-2008 02:20 PM

this episode made me laugh, be on edge and even jump for joy when sam beat upthe bad dudes, a good quote was:

Kid: If i have a Mum like that I'd still be a virgin
Al: you still are a virgin pimple face and you're gonna stay one until 6 years time

Sam's Crow 08-24-2008 10:12 PM

I loved this episode, I loved the whole talk on teenagers and them losing their virginity and stuff like that.

CynthialovesQuantumLeap 09-11-2008 07:35 PM

I also love this episode and the begining with Tersea is so precious. She is a gem. I love the way that Sam spoke to the young man about losing his virginity and sex. It was senere and filled with wisdom.
Sam really cared. I also felt Al's compassion for the young boy as those two kidnappers took him. He had a look of don't hurt his boy or your're gone. It was the way any parent or person who loves children would feel if someone was trying to hurt their own.
This one is up there with another gem of an episode. bravo.


Quote:

Originally Posted by Indiana Leaper
Brillant one this...Al is the man here and he shows it..Al made a promise to the little girl he would come back..I don't think he ever did though!...As mentioned here Al came back in the virtual seasons..does anyone know what series and espisode that was...I would love to read it...


Sam's Crow 09-14-2008 04:25 PM

Whether Teresa would be able to see Sam and Al would depend on how old she is when they return.

Bexter 09-15-2008 06:05 AM

You know I really loved this ep, but didn't really see the similarities between me and her until now, separated, 3 kids, 2 oldies and the 'what the hell was I thinking' baby. There is just so much on my plate right now, I was talking to the lady in the movie library today and she said (and I'm getting sick of hearing it) I dont' know how you do it, well today I didn't know how I did it and I just bawled!! She let me take out a DVD for free! Awwwww!!

sonea 06-25-2009 08:48 PM

I thought that this episode was great. There were many great scenes. I LOVED the last scene with Sam and Kevin at the breakfast table. I thought it was most inspiring. I also loved Teresa; she is such a sweetheart. And Al's affection for Teresa was just so touching. Overall a wonderful show.

Lightning McQueenie 07-04-2010 04:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Al R. (Post 44289)
this episode made me laugh, be on edge and even jump for joy when sam beat upthe bad dudes, a good quote was:

Kid: If i have a Mum like that I'd still be a virgin
Al: you still are a virgin pimple face and you're gonna stay one until 6 years time

I've always wondered how Ziggy could possibly know this. After all, she only gets information that's recorded in databases. Did this kid take out a newspaper article or something when he finally did lose his virginity? Hahaha

leaper1 07-05-2010 03:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lightning McQueenie (Post 57768)
I've always wondered how Ziggy could possibly know this. After all, she only gets information that's recorded in databases. Did this kid take out a newspaper article or something when he finally did lose his virginity? Hahaha

Good point.
Maybe he got a dose of something [ahem] and it was therefore on his medical records!

Lightning McQueenie 05-25-2011 11:46 PM

I just realised something - there is a reason why they decided to have the generic introduction at the beginning of each episode from this episode on, rather than having Sam reprise the previous episode.

It's clear that the shows were written so that they could (almost) be watched in any order, and it was clear that in the first run, they wanted to show repeats every now and then. Two weeks prior, they had shown a repeat of Kamikazi Kid, and so had to reprise Kamikazi Kid instead of the episode that should have been shown. So they decided to have a generic introduction from that point on, so that they could be shown in any order.

Sam Beckett Fan 08-24-2013 03:30 AM

Having watched a lot of SVU, in my recent viewings of this episode I have come to realize that the kidnappers make no sense.

One thing that seems to be supported by Kevin's (bloodied) clothes being found separate from his vanished body and the one man's advance on Sam, is that they are sexual predators.
They're victimology however is all over the place.
In an earlier scene they are shown scouting a couple of kids, a bother and a sister who look to be in the 8-10 age range getting off a school bus and being picked up by their mother.
How could they have gone from that to targeting a 15 year old boy and then making an attempt on a middle aged mother?

While SVU doesn't make me an expert it has more often than not portrayed sexual predators as having specific preferences. Prepubescent girls, prepubescent boys, teenage girls, teenage boys, adult women with handicaps, a certain color hair, a certain race etc.

These guys were under developed and poorly written but it's television after all and I love this episode for Teresa and the series for it's many other well done aspects so it doesn't matter much to me.

iMonrey 08-26-2013 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sam Beckett Fan (Post 60003)
Having watched a lot of SVU, in my recent viewings of this episode I have come to realize that the kidnappers make no sense.

One thing that seems to be supported by Kevin's (bloodied) clothes being found separate from his vanished body and the one man's advance on Sam, is that they are sexual predators.
They're victimology however is all over the place.
In an earlier scene they are shown scouting a couple of kids, a bother and a sister who look to be in the 8-10 age range getting off a school bus and being picked up by their mother.
How could they have gone from that to targeting a 15 year old boy and then making an attempt on a middle aged mother?

While SVU doesn't make me an expert it has more often than not portrayed sexual predators as having specific preferences. Prepubescent girls, prepubescent boys, teenage girls, teenage boys, adult women with handicaps, a certain color hair, a certain race etc.

These guys were under developed and poorly written but it's television after all and I love this episode for Teresa and the series for it's many other well done aspects so it doesn't matter much to me.

I agree about the kidnappers. Overall this episode felt too rushed. The kidnappers were a plot point that didn't make a whole lot of sense. Worst of all, after Sam knocks them out, he and Kevin just get into their car and drive away! Did they call the police? Talk about your loose threads.

The other thing I noticed is that this seems to be the only episode where Sam "senses" he's about to leap, giving Al ample time to say a proper goodbye to Teresa. I can't think of any other episode where Sam has that much advance warning he's about to leap out. Usually it takes him completely by surprise.

Donofrio_QLTD 08-29-2013 03:17 AM

A mixed bag of an episode, in my opinion. Well-developed characters here and there... but also sometimes very cliched and, again, one-dimensional. Some very light-hearted moments (like for kids), some very touching, dramatic and serious, and some other were suspenseful. The actors who played the perverts are very believable and those moments were well played out. Teresa was lovable but sometimes a bit distracting, except for her last scene, which was so touching (wow!, I think Troian Bellisario is about my same age now!!).

Liked the character of Jackie, but the bullies were all cartoons and cliched. Didn't like the sister (Susan) at all, and while Kevin was a very good character, the actor who played him looked a bit too old to be playing a teenager, in my opinion. He was supposed to be a 16 year old, I think, and he looked like 22, 23.

I thought the mentioning of that other show by Donald P. Bellisario, Magnum P.I., was unnecessary and a bit over-the-top. The topics in themselves: the teenage years, the bullying, the social pressure, the urge/pressure of losing your virginity, the fact of being different in a middle full of jerks, the sort of life on middle-class neighborhoods like those, the fact of being a single mother with more than 2 kids against the whole world, all those topics were great, and, while Deborah Pratt didn't handle them in a perfect way, perhaps with only a little scratch at their reality, I think she managed to get her point across and it actually worked for me. The first episode with the "Ziggy" voice-over introduction (even if it was a man here - great thing they immediately switched it after this ep.). This intro wasn't as great as Sam's voice-over at the beginning of each teaser, in my opinion, but, as time goes by, you get used to it and it actually isn't that bad.

By the way, that neighborhood were they lived looked a lot like the one that was used in the music video for the song "Subdivisions" by the rock-prog band "Rush" (a favorite of mine).

My rating: Average.

Edit: I forgot to mention that I also loved the way Sam "senses" the correct time when he has to leap out.

Sam Beckett Fan 09-30-2013 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iMonrey
Worst of all, after Sam knocks them out, he and Kevin just get into their car and drive away! Did they call the police? Talk about your loose threads.

This has entered my mind as well, there was never closure with the kidnappers.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donofrio_QLTD
while Kevin was a very good character, the actor who played him looked a bit too old to be playing a teenager, in my opinion. He was supposed to be a 16 year old, I think, and he looked like 22, 23.

Come to think of it, you are right. He does look like he could be in his early 20's.

Quote:

Originally Posted by IMonrey
The other thing I noticed is that this seems to be the only episode where Sam "senses" he's about to leap, giving Al ample time to say a proper goodbye to Teresa. I can't think of any other episode where Sam has that much advance warning he's about to leap out. Usually it takes him completely by surprise.

There have been at least two other instances.
1.) Thou Shalt Not. It felt as though Sam stayed behind on purpose to ensure the father showed affection to the daughter and even like he leaped at will, he knew exactly when.
"Now Sam?"
"Now."
2.) Southern Comforts. Sam informs Al that there will be no peeping of the "working girl" because it's time to leap. A minute prior, he even gets that same kind of expression as in this episode.

samnal 09-30-2013 06:28 PM

Another Mother
 
I love this episode because we get to see this *wonderful* side of Al, how gentle he was, and what a good daddy he could be. Little Teresa was so sweet, and Sam was a good mother, did a GREAT job. I do like the fact he can sense that he will leap, like that little feeling I get when a hot flash is about to hit!:dreaming

Lightning McQueenie 10-01-2013 01:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sam Beckett Fan (Post 60501)
This has entered my mind as well, Kevin and Sam did leave the scene pretty casually and it's never told if the kidnappers were turned in.

I think the way they played it out was fine, if you're in a traumatic situation, the first thing you'd want to do is get out of it...

Quote:

Another thing that bugs me every time I watch is the scene where the perv rips Sam's blouse open. Why the hell is he not wearing a bra!?
Sam is a man, he doesn't need one...

Quote:

There have been at least two other instances.
1.) Thou Shalt Not. It felt as though Sam stayed behind on purpose to ensure the father showed affection to the daughter and even like he leaped at will, he knew exactly when.
"Now Sam?"
"Now."
2.) Southern Comforts. Sam informs Al that there will be no peeping of the "working girl" because it's time to leap. A minute prior, he even gets that same kind of expression as in this episode.
Also "What Price Gloria" he tells GFTW (really himself) that he's ready to leap...

Sam Beckett Fan 10-01-2013 02:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lightning McQueenie
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sam Beckett Fan
Another thing that bugs me every time I watch is the scene where the perv rips Sam's blouse open. Why the hell is he not wearing a bra!?

Sam is a man, he doesn't need one...

I beg to differ, he wasn't according to the surroundings he was in at the time. He was Mrs. Bruckner, a woman and a mother. In The Wrong Stuff Al even reminds Sam that the main rule is that he has to "At least pretend to be who you leap into" and through that white blouse it would be noticeable that Mrs. Bruckner wasn't wearing a bra which wouldn't be proper. It comes off as slutty.

blue enigma 10-01-2013 09:42 PM

I love Al and Teresa together, and Sam is also so wonderful with kids and he's great with the three kids in this episode. Also, knowing the outcome it cracks me up when the guy pulls the knife on Sam and Al says, "Careful, Sam, he's got a knife, it could be sharp." ROFL. Duh, Al.

Lightning McQueenie 10-02-2013 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sam Beckett Fan (Post 60513)
I beg to differ, he wasn't according to the surroundings he was in at the time. He was Mrs. Bruckner, a woman and a mother. In The Wrong Stuff Al even reminds Sam that the main rule is that he has to "At least pretend to be who you leap into" and through that white blouse it would be noticeable that Mrs. Bruckner wasn't wearing a bra which wouldn't be proper. It comes off as slutty.

Unfortunately beggars can't be choosers SBF :P haha

Mrs Bruckner was an overworked mother, and Sam had to take on all her duties. Do you really think that with all the things going through his head that the mother would normally have to sort through, combined with trying to save the son, something as trivial as a bra would cross his mind?

Sam Beckett Fan 10-02-2013 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blue enigma
Also, knowing the outcome it cracks me up when the guy pulls the knife on Sam and Al says, "Careful, Sam, he's got a knife, it could be sharp." ROFL. Duh, Al.

Haha right! Every time that line makes me think "No. Yah think Al!?" XD

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lightning McQueenie (Post 60539)
Unfortunately beggars can't be choosers SBF :P haha

Mrs Bruckner was an overworked mother, and Sam had to take on all her duties. Do you really think that with all the things going through his head that the mother would normally have to sort through, combined with trying to save the son, something as trivial as a bra would cross his mind?

Of course, there I go over thinking again. XD

Lightning McQueenie 05-09-2015 02:39 AM

For all the leapers and Quantum Mums out there, the Quantum Leap Podcast have released a Mothers Day special - an audio commentary for the episode "Another Mother".

We had some very special guests. We were lucky enough to be joined the mother of Quantum Leap herself, Deborah Pratt, who wrote this episode. She had some great stories to tell about the making of "Another Mother" and answered some questions that had been burning in our minds for ages.

The other special guest is someone very close to my heart. I was on my best behaviour because we were joined by none other than my mother - Mamma McQueenie <3

Happy Mothers Day to all the Quantum Mums out there! :D


https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.n...7aa3ded400c4f8https://scontent-lax.xx.fbcdn.net/hp...71&oe=55DD4260
https://scontent-lax.xx.fbcdn.net/hp...4e&oe=55E094AF
https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.n...7d2980a9a235a9

Mrs. Mallard 05-10-2015 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lightning McQueenie (Post 60539)
Mrs Bruckner was an overworked mother, and Sam had to take on all her duties. Do you really think that with all the things going through his head that the mother would normally have to sort through, combined with trying to save the son, something as trivial as a bra would cross his mind?

I hadn't even noticed the missing bra, but what crossed my mind after reading this discussion is... how does Sam put on a bra anyway? He can't see what he's doing, unless he looks into a mirror, right? So, how does he, well, get everything into position? Or can he see/feel his aura? I'm confused... :-)

Vicky

Lightning McQueenie 05-11-2015 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mrs. Mallard (Post 61682)
I hadn't even noticed the missing bra, but what crossed my mind after reading this discussion is... how does Sam put on a bra anyway? He can't see what he's doing, unless he looks into a mirror, right? So, how does he, well, get everything into position? Or can he see/feel his aura? I'm confused... :-)

Vicky

I'm sure since he knows where his nipples are he can guess where the breasts would be. And like you said, he can look in a mirror.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:08 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2000 - 2016 Al's Place Quantum Leap Fan Site | 4.8.15.16.23.42