Quantum Mistakes

Errors

I think all of these are the reason Bellasario said "don't look too closely."

Really, much as we'd REALLY like a show that NEVER messes up, I don't think that has ever happened. It's the fans that get picky about things and usually more after the fact then the first time they watched it.

The funny thing is...they have done research (mostly to look at how reliable 'eye witnesses' are) and have done some really amazing stuff. One film (that I've heard about but havn't seen myself) has a basketball game going on and they have some guy with a gorilla suit walking onto the court, wave, and then walk off. People they have shown this to NEVER (or at least almost never) see the gorilla until they are told the gorilla was there.

So...I guess it will always be like this on a show that people really like. We'll find EVERY LITTLE inconsistancy.

I'm not saying this as a negative or positive. I'm just pointing out the fact. Since the show evolved over several years and it is an artistic product, storyline things do sometimes change. Sometimes because of sloppiness and sometimes because they've just decided that something works better another way later.

Either way...have fun...can't wait to know what other mistakes are caught.

Oh, asearcher, I certainly don't mean to bash QL or any other show because of little nit-picky mistakes. It's all in fun. I like to see what goofs I can fan-wank (okay, Brits, that doesn't mean anything dirty, it just means to figure out a way to make it work in the canon universe), which ones I have to choose to ignore because otherwise they'll drive me nuts (like the courtroom scene in Raped), and which ones are just goofy. Because for every dialogue or logical misstep QL made, it got a hundred others right. From the music, to the tone, to the wardrobe, to the characterizations of people who lived in specific times and places - I am amazed that the writers and cast and crew mastered vastly different cultures week after week and were able to put together a different movie every week. And when you look at these episodes two decades later, they're still authentic and not dated.

So, as I said, for me at least, it's all in fun, and not meant to take anything away from a very terrific show.

No Problem

No problem, bluedana, or anyone else doing this. I've even dipped my toe in the conversation a time or two. I, too, like to fan-wank and figure out how two conflicting statements can be resolved or laugh at the things that happen (Like Nicole in Catch a Falling Star being in two places at the same time.)They are fun to do...and as I said in my previous post...pointing this out wasn't to be a negative or positive...just a statement of fact.:\

Some of the statements, though, throughout this thread SOMETIMES borders on something else. We all like the show. We all have opinions. We all see things and in fun point them out. But...for instance...when someone posts a piece that may have been said earlier...it doesn't mean that the second poster is "stepping on the previous poster's toes." It may be that they came in later and didn't read the previous post or that they forgot it had been posted, or perhaps has a slightly different take on what happened. Or, when someone brings up a different opinion about what something meant or didn't mean, getting into it deeply is (IMO) what Bellasario was warning about "Don't look too closely.":blackeye

I guess what I was trying to get across is...let's continue to just have fun and enjoy a show that was head and shoulders above most of the drivel that is put on the airwaves. Sure...the mistakes and errors and continuity issues are there. They are in just about ANY TV show that has lasted long enough to have them. But it was just a TV show (even though it touched many on levels that are rather unfathomable) and a very creative fiction. I'm just reminding everyone to keep that in mind when pointing out the flaws.:banghead

I was honest when I said, I look forward to seeing how many of the flaws get caught now. It's fun to remember the shows and gives me something to look for when I watch them again (as long as it doesn't become the focus of the viewing and I lose the enjoyment of the story.):eek

Who knows...maybe we can put together a vid of the funniest mistakes and errors...to show at LeapBack 2009. That might be fun.:lol

I am sorry, was it I who said something? I don't mean any harm I just love noticing these little things and talking them over to make sense of them, it gives my brain and hawk eye a good workout. If I said anything that was over the line I am sorry I don't mean to look too closely its just fun to examine these things. And I know that TV shows are imperfect there were little mistakes talked about from Full House on that forum I used to be at that eventaully treated me like crap. In Full House They several times contradicted their own facts throughout the eight seasons but we are not saying the writers or anybody are poor at their job or anything it's just in good fun. And its even more fun with QL because each episode is a new beginning and a different story and thus there are many things that could have been mis-shown or is written or whatever. Notice when I talked about the LHO and One Strobe Over the Line(the second one with his jacket not the one that Julia clarified for me) nit-picks notice that I made a joke about Sam at the end of those because I am having fun. so if you felt that I am taking this too seriously I apologize.

Last edited:
bluedana said:
I'm cracking up because in Double Identity, which is set on November 8-9, 1965, Sam says he was 10 years old in the fourth grade. None of his advanced degrees is in math, apparently, because he was born in August 1953, which would make him 12 (and presumably in sixth grade) in 1965.

That's a good catch. I believe Sam's birthdate wasn't yet made up by Bellisario at that point. Actually, I think it wasn't made up until some point in the second season as "Play It Again, Seymour" and "The Americanization Of Machiko" are technically outside of Sam's lifetime. (And I'm talking about the post-creative rationalization here, not the theory that Sam's leaping is in accordance with his life beginning at conception.)

I almost said that in my earlier post Chris but in fact it was remember Genesis when Burger and Earnest are reading Sam's anwers to their little memory quiz
"Date of birth: Augest 8, 1953...well that's a typo he means 1923."
When in fact it's not a typo but Sam remembering his own Birthdate.

As for the thing in Play it Again Seymore and Americanization of Machiko The only thing I can think of is the writers being Pro-life and counting Sam as a fetes as part of his lifetime.

My post wasn't meant as a criticism to anyone having fun. It was just a reminder that getting too "caught up" (like in not really fun anymore) in this nit picking could be a problem.

Have fun...find things...discuss them...laugh at them. None of that is a problem. I guess I'm just saying...watch the responses. Think through what you say cause some people may be more sensitive than others and other people reading can take away a sense of the person from a post and that sense that might not be true.

Nobody here, I truly believe, is trying to step on anyone elses toes. That's just not how it's done at Al's Place. This has to be one of the most wonderful sites on the web, bar none. Intelligent conversation, great insights, a truly fantastic group of people.

We all have opinions...and unless it's the creators of the characters talking, none of us REALLY KNOW what's fully going on. What we have are our perceptions. Yeah...sometimes there's "backup" for an opinion (and that's good to hear...the show was one of the most intelligent I've ever run across) but still...

That's all I was saying. Nobody was being "targeted." We're all here to have fun. :hurray:

Last edited:
Sam Beckett Fan said:
I almost said that in my earlier post Chris but in fact it was remember Genesis when Burger and Earnest are reading Sam's anwers to their little memory quiz
"Date of birth: Augest 8, 1953...well that's a typo he means 1923."
When in fact it's not a typo but Sam remembering his own Birthdate.

As for the thing in Play it Again Seymore and Americanization of Machiko The only thing I can think of is the writers being Pro-life and counting Sam as a fetes as part of his lifetime.

Ah, damn you're right. There goes that idea! :hmm

Aww Sorry to burst your bubble there Chris, it was a good suggestion and like I said I almost made it myself but remembered at the last second.

And thanx Helen, I understand what you are trying to say but since we all respect each other here and I have never witnessed an attack here in the whole two years I have been around. (There is one exception but I was the victum and all I did was make a comment in their thread about an illegal activity they wanted to do on their website and they attacked me like a pack of wolves fighting over a single scrap of meat. And thanx to the wonderful staff here they are long gone.) So that is likely not to happen.

I also understand that another thing you are trying to say is its not good to get into too much discussion over a single nit-pick as they don't matter, they are just for fun.

Last edited:
I noticed something watching Trilogy part one now. At the part in the funeral home when the doctor is talking to Sam/Clayton about possible causes of Bart Aider's death. He says that he had a heart failure but could not identify whether or not he had gotten the head wound before or after his death and when he says that he points to a gaint bruise across his temple. The camera pans on his hand pointing to the wound and if you look closely you will notice that Bart's eye twitches because obviously its a living breathing man lying there pretending to be a dead body.

QL Nut said:
In "The Leap Home" just before Sam looks at his younger self in the mirror, there is a wide shot where you can see Scott's reflection in the mirror. This scene is entirely cut out in syndication and only on the DVD.

As per my earlier quote, here's the actual capture:

QLBlunder.jpg

Doh! Guess nobody's perfect. :D

I found a little mistake in one scene of the episode little miracle:Dafter watching it last night.At first we saw that Blake could see al becouse of the same brainwaves something like that.But in one scene where Blake was sitting alone listening to christmas music and sam was taking to al,he suddenly turned his hand and he saw sam talk to thin air.And he made a commend on that.But later on he saw al again as he appeared to him as a ghost of christmas past.i guess that was kinda dumb:lol :lol

leaper said:
I found a little mistake in one scene of the episode little miracle:Dafter watching it last night.At first we saw that Blake could see al becouse of the same brainwaves something like that.But in one scene where Blake was sitting alone listening to christmas music and sam was taking to al,he suddenly turned his hand and he saw sam talk to thin air.And he made a commend on that.But later on he saw al again as he appeared to him as a ghost of christmas past.i guess that was kinda dumb:lol :lol

It has been a while since I saw this one, so I could be wrong but...
so far as I recall, Al was freaked out by Blake seeing him, so he had Ziggy 'fine tune' the signal to filter his image out of Blake's range.
Then when they came up with the 'Scrooge him' plot, Ziggy would have re-adjusted the signal back to the original frequency to ensure that Blake saw 'the ghost'.

Correct me if I'm wrong, guys. Wouldn't be the first time!

leaper1 said:
It has been a while since I saw this one, so I could be wrong but...
so far as I recall, Al was freaked out by Blake seeing him, so he had Ziggy 'fine tune' the signal to filter his image out of Blake's range.
Then when they came up with the 'Scrooge him' plot, Ziggy would have re-adjusted the signal back to the original frequency to ensure that Blake saw 'the ghost'.

Correct me if I'm wrong, guys. Wouldn't be the first time!

No you were right. Matter of fact I was just about to respond when your message came up.

In rebel without a clue, when sam is ran of the road on his bike and the others ride off, Al comes in and starts telling him about what sort of bike it is, and there stood in a layby on a cliff and Al's shirt and trousers are flapping like mad in the wind. Well if hes in the IC he would'nt be able to feel the wind! Or would he?:hmm