Own TV Pilot!!

jassian

Hopeful Maker of Art out of Daydream Dust
Oct 15, 2008
Germany
Just had to share:

My Master of Arts proposal went through.

I'm going to shoot my own pilot episode based on a tv show I created!

And I intend to sell it.
(Doesn't mean I'll succeed, but you gotta try right!!)

Of course QL was one of the big inspirations.

And I'm gonna be a 'certifiable' director.

:) :) :) :) :)

Wow! That's fantastic news.
We'll be keeping our fingers crossed for you.
Can I have your autograph now, before you start charging? :lol

That's wonderful news, Jassian! What's the name of the show (if you have one picked out, I know that good titles are hard to think of at times). Or, better yet, what genre?

Thanks guys! :)

It's all still under construction to be filmed next year.
I got the 'series bible' with is the rules of the world, characters, and so on and episode outlines. But as I still got time'll probably tweak and improve it to the very last minute. Still writing the script proper.

The working title is Zajen which is the name of one of the characters (Helen and Ohboy, you know him, this is all based on the short story you kindly test read for me!)

How can I talk about it without giving too much away... hmm.

Here's the Proposal:

It is my intention to produce a broadcast quality pilot episode based on a self-created television series. Another focus will lie in learning how to receive funding and getting in touch with the world of distribution. Balanced with making the best possible use of this opportunity to hone my skills it is my final goal to successfully sell it. I will make use of a mixture of professional cast and crew and students as required and financially possible.
A series bible already exists and adjustments will be made as needed to accommodate budget, time and other constraints. The script itself will be developed with professional or semi-professional assistance.

I wish to showcase the following skill set and experience: intensive training and a Bachelor of Arts in acting for screen and stage, my observations of established directors and acting coaches, experience as a Martial Arts instructor in several styles, a good grasp of basic psychology and easy access to specialized psychology related knowledge. I have a strong desire to create a high quality, touching piece of work with subtle undercurrents, causing people to think and re-evaluate their perception of their own limitations and opportunities combined with an element of adventure and escapism. My genre of choice to this end is a mixture of fantasy, science fiction and the supernatural.

I have a good understanding of the underlying technology and organisational needs and have a solid level of skill on most crew roles. It may be possible to secure a Steadicam before principal photography, which I would operate myself for a number of shots. I have a keen interest in all elements of directing, but my focus and main strength lies in working with actors. Rehearsals will be very intensive and involved, with the aim to create extremely truthful, nuanced and touching performances and a boot-camp phase to prepare the performers for their combat scenes.

The stories are very personal and character driven. And it's a bit of a trojan horse hiding a mission of let's call it perceptual re-education. It's basing on the premise that all souls are equal and perceptions of the world or one's own helplessness (looking at proper psychology with all this), thought's like, 'it's a man's world' or 'survival of the fitest' (Which wasn't Darwin's statement!!) are the real poison causing a lot of unnecessary suffering. I'm also gonna challenge the idea that the stronger and better trained fighter (although it is an advantage) will always win. But I'm not gonna hit people over the head with it either. It'll be subtly layered into the entertainment :)

The traits one of the main characters has in common with good old Sam is an 'invisible helper' and possibly, I'm not sure though, may change, the ability to foresee events.

Whatdya think? Given that I didn't really tell you very much, anyone interested in watching such a show?

Wowzer!

What channels are you looking at selling to?

9? 10? 7?

Overseas? Or would you try to start off in Australia - then try overseas?

You know - thats the way to go.

I saw a story about people who got their big break by selling an idea to tv stations - I'd one day like to do this!

People get an idea and put it to all the stations.

I don't have the video filming equipment at my disposal - so all I'd have is an idea to sell - and the hope I'd be involved in my idea's somehow!

Yeah you do have to try - try try again also and eventually you will get there if that makes sense :)

I wishh you the very very best of luck fellow actor - and I will be wishing you success all of the way :)

So best of luck :)

I actually wrote a paper on how to sell scripts in AU. Want a copy ? It's not too brilliant, but may have useful info.

I'll probably look at Australia first, writing it to Australian commercial break format. No idea where to try and sell it yet, will have to look into that. There's gonna be a lot of Australian landscape, and guess what ? That sells overseas, bigtime, bit of a merchandizing trick? Maybe. Well, I'm writing from the heart so I should give the producers a few hopes of it being marketable at the same time :)

If that's how you repay kindness, i'm gonna be super nice to you!!! :) nah, would be anyway. And I think we're pretty even.

I only wish ratings worked that way.8o

Check out this unrelated fan vid I made (CAREFUL, BIG SPOILER if you don't know BLEACH and intend to watch it, although I'm years behind myself :))
Doesn't have much to do with the show I'm making, but it may give you an impression about the moods and storytelling that affect me and inspire me. So it may give you a vague idea about what the spirit behind my work is, if you will. (and my mad editor skills.. eh ok I still need practice... :rolleyes;))

http://jassian.com/video/URYUU%20&%20PARK.wmv

Thanks very much for your support guys!!

I'll certainly do my very best to deliver. ;)
And moral support is a great help! That can't be emphazised too much :)

I needed to read it all calmly and with my dictionnairy to understand it all. :) Now I understand and I keep my fingers crossed for you, Jassian! Must be very exciting for you. You'll make it! :hurray:

:)
Ich hätt's Dir gerne übersetzt :)
(I would have gladly translated it) although I guess it's good practice :)

Ang: I may hold rehearsals in Melbourne, depending on where the majority of the cast comes from. I'll keep you up to date. If you can travel to the location (to be determined) I should be able to have at least a glorified extra part for ya.

be aware that the chances of selling it are kinda low, so it's mainly about creating something special to everyone :)

I currently have a lot of actors contacting me wanting to be on the show, talking to me like I'm some established producer.
("I'd like to be on your new project" - like I got an old one)

I think it was made clear, but I may have to point out beyond all doubt that I'm just a student, and that there's only going to be pay if I get funding and I have no clue if I will, but it's pretty brilliant. Scary though!! It's all becoming so real.. and I'm still writing the script.. Ahhhhh!:hair:hair:hair

I currently have a lot of actors contacting me wanting to be on the show, talking to me like I'm some established producer.
("I'd like to be on your new project" - like I got an old one)

I think it was made clear, but I may have to point out beyond all doubt that I'm just a student, and that there's only going to be pay if I get funding and I have no clue if I will, but it's pretty brilliant. Scary though!! It's all becoming so real.. and I'm still writing the script.. Ahhhhh!:hair:hair:hair

Sorry for posting twice in a row :(

But I have to say this.

Jass - I think alot of people ask to be on tv.

I think its part of the job?

yeah, I guess a lot of people would be interested. But the thing is i just can't promise anyone that this will ever be aired.

I'll put it on the internet in any case though!
:)

Anyway.

I got to finalize my script and could use critical test readers!

I like hearing if you enjoyed the script, but I need to know everthing that's WRONG with it! :)

Any takers? if so email me:
jassian_terri@yahoo.com

I assume that you still have my e-mail address. I can't promise that I'll read it right away, since I'm a bit busy, but if you'd like to send it, I can read it within a week or so. I'm always available.