1212 Time Travelers' Aid Society

What is your opinion of this story?

• 5 ? This is an excellent episode! One of my personal favorites!

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • 4 ? This episode was great! I will definitely tell others about it.

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • 3 ? This episode was good. It was worth reading.

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • 2 ? This episode was like the neutral zone ? I am indifferent.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 1 ? Bellisario would be rolling in his grave if he had one.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
D

Dman176

Time Travelers' Aid Society
September 15, 2004

Quincy, Massachusetts & Napa Valley, California

Sam must help a fellow time traveler return to his own time and save his friends at Project Quantum Leap.

Written by: Douglas Laird

Thanks,
TVS Team

Last edited:
Our rating system this season consists of six raters and three back-up raters! We took the average of six raters and came up with an average for that episode. Based on ratings of 10 being the highest and 1 being the lowest, the average of this episode was: 9.5

Please be aware that some reviews may contain spoilers! Some of the comments given were:

Seeker said:
I?ve said it before, and I?ll say it again - when I saw Doug Laird?s name as the author of this story, I expected the best, and yet again he has not disappointed. In fact, he?s not just delivered to us a beautifully crafted story, but he?s done so in spades!

The characters are real to the point that I think I?d recognize them if I were to pass them on the street, especially Teddy. The storyline is well thought out and crafted, and the scenes meld and flow together with seamless ease right up to the cliffhanger ending. I just hope my fingernails can survive to keep me hanging onto the edge of that cliff until the conclusion next week!

Doug, whatever it is that you do when you take an idea and begin to work your magic on it?keep doing it! Time Travelers? Aid Society is absolutely one of your best. Kudos!

RATING: 10

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Morris J. Finkle said:
Wow, when Doug comes up with a cool concept, he comes up with a cool concept! I like how we've kept getting glimpses into possible futures over the past couple of seasons. Although Sam didn't actually leap into the future again, the idea of a time traveler from the future asking Sam for help is a very interesting one. I won't spoil everything, but there are a few surprises. I can definitely visualize this story as a television episode if the original series had continued. And on top of that, this episode was MUCH longer than the ones that Doug usually writes... one of the longest VS stories ever written, period, it seems... and this is only the first part!

Excellent job, Doug! Can't wait to see how Sam will fix all of this next week!

RATING: 9.0

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Sporty said:
Doug, you outdid yourself, this is great! I like all the things that go on in this story. I am glad you are doing the next "episode" as well. With some of the same characters. You are a great writer! Keep up the great work!

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Allie Cat said:
Absolutely marvelous! What a great story! It was obviously thought out in detail and the characters are very believable. I really can't wait to read the conclusion of this one.

Doug, I commend you! Another feather in your cap.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Vince Beckett said:
This is a great read. It starts out looking like an average stand alone story, but it really picks up toward the end. I can't wait to see what happens next. It's interesting when Sam interacts with the PQL in the time that he leaps into.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Xanadu said:
Okay... Poe he is! He has crafted a story that has everything... and it's not fair. Doug, it really isn't. You have outdone yourself with this and you have me on pins and needles trying to figure out where you are going from here.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Now, it's your opportunity to rate this particular story. Let the author(s) know how you rate this story. If you'd like to give feedback, please go ahead and leave a reply!

Thanks!
The Virtual Seasons Team

Last edited by a moderator:
Doug, At first, when I realized how long these stories are, I thought it would take like 6 weeks to get through it, but MJ mentioned to me that it was a quick read and it was. Was she ever right. Now, after reading the first part, all I can say is WOW.

This is easilly one of the best Virtual Seasons stories I have ever read, if not the best. I really like your Charecter of Stephie. I think she will be a good addition to PQL if she does infact go there.

The whole story was excellent. I am anxiously awaiting the next part. I can't wait to see how Sam fixes this little problem. I can think up a very easy fix, but I'm sure you have something a 100 times better up your sleeve. I can't wait till I get to see what it is.

Hey, Doug. Great story! Can't wait for part 2! BTW, you had Al mention the 20 year old security system. Is this an indication of a future story written by li'l ol' me? :D

Kat

What an interesting story! I got a bit bogged down by the jargon and vast amounts of "technobabble" but the story surrounding those bits was inventive.

Spoiler Alert! (highlight to read)
Poor Al and Beth--how many times have they been killed now??? LOL Interesting touch to do it "off screen" and yet "on" that way. Nicely done.

Wow, what a great story, Doug! The concept of a future time traveller was a really neat introduction to the story... I hardly expected things to turn out as they did. Poor Al and Beth... my gosh... that scene was done so well; I was saying "no!" out loud to myself!

When Al said, "Sam, you do have a degree in psychology," it made me think back to the original series... didn't Sam say once that he didn't have a degree in psychology? I know he said that for law, but I thought psychology was mentioned as well. Maybe Al was lying to make him feel more confidence, or perhaps the timeline changed (which is VERY possible ;)).

Anyway, I can't wait to read the conclusion. Well done!

... Mike. ^_^
(post #36)

Last edited:
MikeKraken said:
When Al said, "Sam, you do have a degree in psychology," it made me think back to the original series... didn't Sam say once that he didn't have a degree in psychology? I know he said that for law, but I thought psychology was mentioned as well. Maybe Al was lying to make him feel more confidence, or perhaps the timeline changed (which is VERY possible ;)).
Yeah, I also noticed that when I edited it, Mike. I figured it could also be dismissed much the same way you suggested. Besides which, I think Al mentioned that Sam did not have a degree in psychiatry, which is not the same as psychology. Psychiatrists are licensed to prescribe medication for psychological disorders whereas psychologists are not?but you probably knew that, Mike. ;) I'm mainly pointing it out because a lot of people don't realize that there's a difference between the two.

But, I'm sort of leaning toward what you said, that perhaps it's a "blip" in the timeline (especially given what will be happening later this season...) ;)

Anyway, I'll comment more on this episode when I finally catch up on the rest of the season. I do like to read every episode?even my own and the ones I edit?as a non-objective reader, and technically, I still have not read "Killin' More Time" yet (and I co-wrote it!). That's how busy I've been these past few months.

Damon

Great Story

The story had very interesting plot twists. It was certainly a great leap in and the story continued to get better and better.

Well this story goes to show why Doug won "Most Improved Writer" in the fandom awards last year (plug, time for them again!)

Doug's early works had me complaining that his great plot ideas were let down by being too superficial, not enough depth and development to do them justice....

No-one could say the same of this 49 page epic!!!!
Which is not to say I am measuring in quantity, the quality of the writing has improved out of all recognition.

A very interesting concept, well handled.
Well done Doug.

Dman176 said:
Yeah, I also noticed that when I edited it, Mike. I figured it could also be dismissed much the same way you suggested. Besides which, I think Al mentioned that Sam did not have a degree in psychiatry, which is not the same as psychology. Psychiatrists are licensed to prescribe medication for psychological disorders whereas psychologists are not?but you probably knew that, Mike. ;) I'm mainly pointing it out because a lot of people don't realize that there's a difference between the two.

You are right, Damon. I just watched "Star-Crossed" this evening and Al said that Sam didn't have a degree in psychiatry. He also said that Sam has six degrees. However, I watched "Shock Theater" on Thursday night and Al said that Sam had seven degrees.

And yes, I know the difference between psychology and psychiatry. :b

... Mike. ^_^
(post #65)