View Single Post
Old 01-07-2006, 08:03 AM   #38
spaceflight101
Waiting Room Visitor

Living as close to Cokeburg as I do, it's easy to get caught up in the show and go there to meditate. I've taken both of my sons out to Iowa so that we could play baseball at the Field of Dreams movie site. We may not have played catch with my late father, but my sons will remember me when I've gone on every time they see the movie. If I ever win the Powerball, I'll retire and open up "Al's Place" in Cokeburg. I'm a bit surprised that no one has done it yet. If you haven't seen 'em, there's a place on here where photos of Cokeburg and a bit of history I wrote are on display.
When my family and I were invited to former NASA Administrator Sean O'Keefe's farewell, one of the things they had was a video hosted by Scott, dressed as Captain Archer, seated in his Enterprise chair. It was well done.
I believe that the end of "Mirror Image" was written solely to allow the show to come back and continue from that point. I remember rumors of a movie, or at least the show being renewed due to a huge letter-writing campaign. But where would the show have gone? Granted, the faithful will watch it every week, but people will eventually tire of watching uninteresting subject matter. Shows like "Seinfeld" and "Everybody Loves Raymond" ended after the creative forces were spent, and felt that there was no new subjects to cover. Could you make the show more "edgy" by writing eps in the same style as "Battlestar Galactica"? Sure, but then you'd lose what made QL special. It was difficult for Scott to shed his QL persona in Enterprise, and play a ship's captain who had to make the tough decisions, instead of the Don Quixote character who believed he'd persevere no matter what obstacles he'd encounter.
All in all, "Mirror Image" remains one of my favorite TV shows ever. Everytime I watch it, I find something new to laugh at, or cry over. Sometimes it makes me look in the mirror and ask "Who am I?" and "Why am I here?"
Who really is that person staring back at me from the mirror, and can I live with the answer? Am I ready for the answer?
It's a question we all face sometime in our lives.