Thread: 222 M.I.A.
View Single Post
Old 11-15-2013, 05:55 PM   #83
blue enigma
Accelerator Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Beckett Fan View Post
I have already expressed my also disgruntled feelings about the hypocrisy of the statement "You know the rules Al, we can't change our own lives."
Though he vowed not to reveal Donna I believe Al still could have thrown the attempt in his face. Personally I would have liked to see that.

As I've already covered Al is partially at fault however for not being straightforward about his intentions. Something Sam has always been regarding his both personal and I believe the word 'occupational' is fitting enough. Had he explained to Sam straight away what he wanted to attempt perhaps Sam could have possibly accomplished both tasks as well as even had more sympathy towards the situation.

Again I am repeating myself but I'd also like to remind the participants here that Sam's protest hadn't only been about the rules. He also felt that Beth's run ins with Dirk were too coincidental, it seemed more to him like it was supposed to happen. Somewhat like when he found out that Tess never would have married Doc in How the Tess Was Won, that it was always meant to be the one who wrote her love letters.
The statement is still hypocritical though, regardless of whether Sam had other reasons to protest changing Al's life or whether he thought Beth and Dirk were meant to be. Whenever Sam wanted to change something for himself he said 'screw the rules' but here he turned around and threw those same rules in Al's face.

I'm not suggesting that Al wasn't in the wrong. In fact I said that Sam was right to call him out on the fact that he wasn't honest with him about who Beth was. Al let his own personal issues get in the way of accomplishing the mission and it could've cost at least one person their life. And I'm not convinced that Sam was supposed to fix Al and Beth, at least at this point. Sam was still being a hypocrite as soon as those words were out of his mouth.

Quote:
Let's be somewhat fairer here. The Sam who put her back into a life he had no idea if he'd ever return to was indeed selfish but the Sam that built the project while married to Donna just as the one who built it without her had no idea he would get stuck out there.
Well, we don't actually know the circumstances of Sam's first leap in the changed timeline where he was married to Donna. We do know from 'The Leap Back' that the retrieval program didn't work when Sam leaped -- whether they knew it didn't work before he leaped or discovered it afterward is impossible to say. We also know from 'Genesis' that at least in the first timeline Sam did leap prematurely, knowing the project wasn't ready yet. We don't know whether that was the case in the second timeline. And maybe he discussed the decision with Donna first. Maybe he didn't. Judging by the way he behaved to her in 'The Leap Back' once he'd decided to leap to save Al -- and again, this is in big part a flaw of too much being packed into just one episode -- it wouldn't surprise me if Sam just rushed headlong and didn't consult with her about it. In 'The Leap Back' when he was getting ready to leap again he didn't even say a word to her until she asked "Sam, what are you doing?" Granted he was rushing to save Al and time was limited, but still -- he really seemed like he was brushing her off [and again, I think this is an unfortunate effect of the rushedness of the episode].

Quote:
In addition the second abandonment was for Al's life. Far more justified than simply proving that the accelerator worked.
In my opinion it still goes back to Sam tampering with her life in the first place. Also, as far as we know at the end of the last episode that second abandonment is permanent and by Sam's choice.