View Single Post
Old 01-08-2019, 08:47 PM   #82
Lightning McQueenie
Junior Leaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue enigma View Post
Quantum Leap did a good job with representation. I'm saying your comment is a bad take. There are many different cultures and religions in the world, and that fact is the only reason needed to include people of those cultures and religions in stories. However, it so happens that there are cultural specifics included in this episode that do matter to the story line and push it forward, even if you are unaware of them.
Then you should explain them, because as far as I can tell, you could remove the entire Jewish factor in the episode and not have it change the story at all. The only thing I can think of that had any effect on his mission at all was that one of the wives came to him to confess her affair, which helped him figure out what Bert was doing. But it wasn't even Sam being Jewish which did this, it's the fact that he was in a position of power (the rabbi). Sam could have been in some other position of power, like a counsellor, and still do what was required.

I am not saying that Sam would not come across people of different cultures and faiths, I am saying for writing to be good, what you include should have some significance to the story. "Freedom" for example did this beautifully.