did anyone meet dean stockwell in Dallas at the weekend?

julieannboo

Project QL Intern
Jul 2, 2009
did anyone go to the convention in dallas over the weekend to meet dean stockwell?

Looking at the photos on flickr - just put in dean stockwell Dallas. He looks almost frail.

has anyone met him in the past few years? how is he?

wow ! he seem's to be exhausted because background noises !!!

I just have a question about the price of the autographs : why it's a paying autographs ? (20$ it's seems to be expensive isn't it ?) the actors are not remunerated for this conventions ???

my question it's because in France we have'nt got convention but free meeting with the artists (this are "marketing meetings" whith somethings to buy : tee-shirts, mugs, albums or dvd films etc.. very expensive) but the autographs with the actors are free ! but it' look likely the actors are paid by their producers ! I suppose !

I just have a question about the price of the autographs : why it's a paying autographs ? (20$ it's seems to be expensive isn't it ?) the actors are not remunerated for this conventions ???

Actors are usually paid to attend conventions. Fans usually have to pay for autographs too. $20 isn't considered expensive, although I think it is, and I would never pay it. Autographs just don't mean that much to me.

I guess the money helped Dean forget the "personal reasons" that prevented him from coming to the QL convention.

I feel this way if ever I got to meet Dean Stockwell autograph or not. It would be an honor just to meet him. Both Dean and Scott have brought so much joy to my mother's life when we would watch Quantum leap together. I would just say thank you so much and want to give Dean a hug.
As for the personal problems and why he could not come to the QL convention we will never know that is his personal business. My Dad when he was 74 like Dean is now he listened to his body if he did not feel well. Please Don't be cruel.

Hey, some people have to make money when other things aren't happening for them. Actors don't necessarily have steady income. So they depend on fans to pay 20 bucks for an autograph to get them through the drought.

The economy sucks right now, anyway.

Hey, some people have to make money when other things aren't happening for them. Actors don't necessarily have steady income. So they depend on fans to pay 20 bucks for an autograph to get them through the drought.

The economy sucks right now, anyway.

Yeah, or they won't be able to afford their luxuries anymore. Yup, that's a "drought," all right. Haha! I hope you were just kidding, LunarCrystal.

I guess the money helped Dean forget the "personal reasons" that prevented him from coming to the QL convention.

Please Don't be cruel.

I'm sorry, but, like it or not, Snish has a point there. It can happen to anyone, even to the best. I've seen that too many times. Now, that doesn't exactly mean that I have to be right about this, but, based on the way Dean gave his explanation as to why he couldn't go, I have to say that it's natural that someone doubts him, even if he was telling the truth. I'm not saying that Dean had to give a full explanation, especially if it was personal (understandable), but the point is that there are always going to be doubts no matter what, and, in situations like this, you'll never know who's right. You could be, but Snish could be, too, and there's another thing: we can't go on pretending we know a person just because someone close to us behaved that way. Truth is, we can't know a person. Sometimes, we hardly know ourselves.

We will never know why Dean was not at the Quantum Leap convention. Sometimes its best not to speculate about things that can never be known. Otherwise people tend to believe stuff that "sounds right" to them. Either negative or positive. Also sometimes its best not to scratch the surface too much, you may not like what you see.

Also sometimes its best not to scratch the surface too much, you may not like what you see.

That was one of the things I was trying to point out, that's why I said that, in situations like this, you'll never know who's right, so it's best to leave it alone. Sometimes we fall into blind speculation, no matter what side we choose. Anyway, there's nothing cruel to that, it's just natural. As for me, well, I think that sometimes there are things that need to be said and I can't keep quiet about them, after all I'm a part of this forum (a forum where everyone is always agreeing with each other - well, I'll disagree with many for a change, and not because that's my only purpose, but because that's my nature; it doesn't mean that I won't be able to find a lot of things to agree with, of course). I doubt someone will kick up any fuss for that, though.

Last edited:
Truly, I don't know why Dean didn't come to the QL con. So it's unfair of me to speculate. Perhaps my comment was unkind, but I don't think it's cruel. We may be sentimental about a TV show, but actors usually aren't. It's a job for them. So of course money is a motivator.

It's hard not to feel a little resentment when I spent nearly a thousand dollars to attend that convention, and he backed out at the last minute. And no clear explanation from him. That's entirely up to him, but the consequence is that a catty comment or two might slip out.

Thanks, everyone, for having a civil discussion about this.

Perhaps my comment was unkind, but I don't think it's cruel. We may be sentimental about a TV show, but actors usually aren't. It's a job for them. So of course money is a motivator.

Damn right!

Don't forget, though, that even though money is a factor (even actors want to eat :p, and they should or else they get all skinny) that doesn't stop them from caring about what they're doing.
And I recon they'd also enjoy some privacy about why they do what they do and have a life. Just like everyone else.

Right?

Truly, I don't know why Dean didn't come to the QL con. So it's unfair of me to speculate. Perhaps my comment was unkind, but I don't think it's cruel. We may be sentimental about a TV show, but actors usually aren't. It's a job for them. So of course money is a motivator.

It's hard not to feel a little resentment when I spent nearly a thousand dollars to attend that convention, and he backed out at the last minute. And no clear explanation from him. That's entirely up to him, but the consequence is that a catty comment or two might slip out.

Thanks, everyone, for having a civil discussion about this.

Don't forget, though, that even though money is a factor (even actors want to eat :p, and they should or else they get all skinny) that doesn't stop them from caring about what they're doing.
And I recon they'd also enjoy some privacy about why they do what they do and have a life. Just like everyone else.

Right?

Right!

And besides, someone out there may know the truth, but we have to accept that it may not be for us to know. Another civil conclusion, I think?

Right!

And besides, someone out there may know the truth, but we have to accept that it may not be for us to know. Another civil conclusion, I think?

Well, basically, we've been using circular reasoning to this point, so I guess we got to the conclusion a bit while ago.

Ah good, if we keep coming back to the same conclusion it's likely to be a good one methinks :)

I was at the Dallas Comic Con. The gentleman that posted his autograph from Dean.. I believe I was right behind you in line... I got the very last of his copy of that same picture. I think he had it labled #4.... I could be wrong...

Regarding Mr. Stockwell and him seeming "frail". I believe he just wasn't feeling well.. He also seemed a bit irritated with the general lack of knowlege about the show. Every now and again he would ask a fan a question.. very rarely did someone answer correctly. The Q and A session didn't go too well either (same scenario-- or someone would ask a question he as an actor would even know anything about. IE: What the writers and directors had planned for the next season that didn't happen). Also, in the Q & A the sound was so low on his mike that no one could really hear him up till they turned it up about 5 min till the end of his chat.
Aside from him seeming to not feel well and a touch of slight agitation, he was very personable and really pleasant. He allowed me to take his picture and very very kindly asked me to pose for one with him. His girlfriend took the pic with my camera. (I am very sorry for accidentally unplugging your laptop).

Here are some links to some pics I took while I was there.. I took all of these with the exception of the one I was in.

Dean Stockwell
http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa210/swright007/Dean_Stockwell2.jpg

Dean Stockwell and I
http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa210/swright007/Dean_Stockwell_Scott.jpg

My autograph from Mr. Stockwell
http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa210/swright007/Dean_Stockwell-1.jpg

Barry Bostwick
http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa210/swright007/Barry_Bostwick2.jpg

Rene Auberjonois
http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa210/swright007/Rene_Auberjonois2.jpg

Scott

Regarding Mr. Stockwell and him seeming "frail". I believe he just wasn't feeling well.. He also seemed a bit irritated with the general lack of knowlege about the show. Every now and again he would ask a fan a question.. very rarely did someone answer correctly. The Q and A session didn't go too well either (same scenario-- or someone would ask a question he as an actor would even know anything about. IE: What the writers and directors had planned for the next season that didn't happen). Also, in the Q & A the sound was so low on his mike that no one could really hear him up till they turned it up about 5 min till the end of his chat.
Aside from him seeming to not feel well and a touch of slight agitation, he was very personable and really pleasant. He allowed me to take his picture and very very kindly asked me to pose for one with him. His girlfriend took the pic with my camera. (I am very sorry for accidentally unplugging your laptop).
Just all the more sad that he could not make it to the QL convention. It was a great event, very low-pressure, tailored carefully to the actors' needs, all fans in attendance, folks would have been engaged and on the ball with good questions. Since we already got to ask production and writing questions to producers, writers, Deborah Pratt in particular, we could have focused on questions that would be enjoyable to Dean. Would have been a riot to see him and the surprise guest Liz Torres chit-chat. I bet they had a blast on the set.

My only theory besides him being under the weather or not wanting to bother with the flight, is that he maybe believed that a fan-organized event would be a fiasco. Turns out it was more fun and had more attention to detail than most "official" events. All of those minor details that would drive us crazy about a "pro" event were noticed and addressed.

looking at the footage of the dallas convention. he doesn't look too bothered about being there.
maybe he just sees the signings to make some extra money - which is fair enough.
when he is interviewed by one of the organisers who ask him if he is happy to be there - he says 'yes' but looks away from the camera.

some people enjoy conventions others just do it purely for the money.

I was at the Dallas Comic Con. The gentleman that posted his autograph from Dean.. I believe I was right behind you in line... I got the very last of his copy of that same picture. I think he had it labled #4.... I could be wrong...

Here are some links to some pics I took while I was there.. I took all of these with the exception of the one I was in.

Dean Stockwell
http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa210/swright007/Dean_Stockwell2.jpg

Dean Stockwell and I
http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa210/swright007/Dean_Stockwell_Scott.jpg

My autograph from Mr. Stockwell
http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa210/swright007/Dean_Stockwell-1.jpg

Barry Bostwick
http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa210/swright007/Barry_Bostwick2.jpg

Rene Auberjonois
http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa210/swright007/Rene_Auberjonois2.jpg

Scott

wow - kool you met dean stockwell!

i love the photo that you got signed. i don't think that they had that photo at the london autograph convention this year.

i think that he looks more 'frail' in still photos. on video - he seems okay.

i wonder if he will ever come to the uk again for a signing? his last signing in the UK was either 2004 or 2005 - which i missed.

I have something that needs to be said here.

A special source of mine has told me that Dean is fine. He's working on his artwork, and he's happy. He's looking forward to the release of the new Battlestar Galactica DVD movie "The Plan," in which he has the lead role.

Just thought I'd clear the air a bit. :)