View Single Post
Old 06-09-2019, 08:03 PM   #65
chris-oates
Imaging Chamber Technician

Well, well, well. What can I say about The Boogiem*n...other than to say that it is a stone cold classic. Even people who don't seem to know much about the show always seem to have heard something about this Halloween episode. A definite top 10 episode for me for so many reasons.

First of all, I've always loved the religious aspect behind the show. The whole concept of GTFW guiding Sam through time is basically what gave the show life. If the whole time travelling shtick had just been a complete mistake and everything that happened did so at random...it wouldn't have given Sam or the viewers any sense of purpose. So if it's established that God exists...then it's no stretch of the imagination to believe that the Devil exists also. The whole standoff at the end of the episode is one of the best scenes in the entire series. Not only is the scary level off the charts but it also sets up another future storyline concerning some rather...shall we say mischievous leapers. Haha. I know the evil leaper storyline wasn't everyone's cup of tea, but I always liked the idea and believe it was the Devil's attempt at thwarting Sam once again.

The whole feel of the episode is just so deliciously off. We don't get even a moments rest right from the get go. It's just one thing after another, and makes it seem like the leap from hell (pun definitely intended). It's only towards the very end that the pieces seem to fall into place, and create a disturbing picture.

The finale and episode as a whole would not work without Dean Stockwell's magnificent performance here. Right from the start you can just sense that something is off with him. It's done subtly enough so that if you're watching it for the first time you probably wouldn't guess, but re-watching it the clues are all there. From the way he cocks his head to the tempo of his voice, Dean does a great job as Devil Al. And sure, the acting towards the end is hammy, but it had to be that way. He's playing the Devil for crying out loud!

I'm glad that Chris Ruppenthal has confirmed that the events of the episode did take place. I mean, it was already hinted that GTFW reset the leap but it's good to have it confirmed.

My rating. Excellent. A really spooky, classic episode.