101 The Pilot Episode <AKA Genesis>

The Pilot Episode <AKA Genesis>

• Total voters
This from my daughter:

One of my favourite lines in the show is when Al says to Sam, "your best shot is freezing the brain until all electrical activity has ceased." And Sam's response was, "that's called death."

I have to admit that when I first watched QL on TV I didn't really like the Al character. I don't know what I was thinking. Seeing these episodes again, I just love him. Sam and Al were perfect together.

One thing though, I don't understand how Sam was able to answer all those questions on the memory questionnaire considering he had such a swiss-cheesed memory. He couldn't remember his own last name yet he remembered mini skirts. Streaking? Sam? Sam says the answers are all true and we know that Sam always tells the truth.

Scott and Dean are perfect for their roles. This episode-equally perfect. :bow

That's one of my favorite lines too.
I have to admit when I first watched I thought of Al as little more than a device to give Sam information - a foil. That is why I found him so hard to write as a character. I soon came to appreciate how much more he is!
As far as the test goes, my thought was that Al helped him do it and used his own experiences, enjoying messing with Sam's head. I can picture Al streaking through the convent orphanage, scandalizing the nuns!

If Sam is in control of his own destiny, how did he fight the return leap being he had amnesia? If you remember the first part of the episode was Sam trying to figure out who why he is in someone elses body. He did not know about time travel and leaping until Al later explained it to him?

It was greatly written as we saw the premise of the show as Sam was learning it! Would like to know why Al was forbidden to tell Sam about many things including his own name. Al broke a rule later to tell him that got him temporarily fired in a later episode. This was never revealed.

Updated scene from Genesis

(TO FIT THE MODERN ERA & TECHNOLOGY) (More like a couple lines than a scene)

Wierd Ernie[reading from Tom Stratton's(Sam's) personal trivial pursuit questionaire]:
"When feeling lonely I rent a DVD and listen to my iPod. THIS IS GIBBERISH!"

Doc Berger:
"Very creative gibberish. Capt. Stratton answered every question as if he'd been born in '76 and lived in the future."

~Steve B.

I also think that the answers to the memory quiz were much more Al-like than Sam-like...

Pilot episodes are always like that. Let's use Everybody Loves Raymond as an example. In the pilot, Ray and Debra's twins have the same names as Ray and Anna Romano's twins(assuming their twins in reality) Matthew & Gregory. In the rest of the series their names are Michael & Geoffry. The name of the girl remained Alexandra(Allie).

It's best to pretend Sam's answers are different for continuity's sake.

~Steve B.

Not that I would ever admit to having watched Golden Girls ;) , but if you ever watch the Pilot you will be shocked. Most of the character traits are switched around. Betty White's character was not the ditz but in fact rather mean if I recall.

That's one of my favorite lines too.
I have to admit when I first watched I thought of Al as little more than a device to give Sam information - a foil. That is why I found him so hard to write as a character. I soon came to appreciate how much more he is!
As far as the test goes, my thought was that Al helped him do it and used his own experiences, enjoying messing with Sam's head. I can picture Al streaking through the convent orphanage, scandalizing the nuns!

Wow! Al Calavicci is so important aside from being a man that has been there done everything.Yeah, he's the sidekick and comic relief but he's a pivitol character Sams only contact with PQL, home, and a person with whom Sam can confer. Aside from all of that I think Al character is wise, kind, and very important. He(Al) can be silly but their situations were often ridiculous. Where would Sam be without his pal Al?

You can see it in his eyes on a rewatch...it hurts, though he won't admit it. He can't tell Sam anything (why? I'm not sure on that one), and you can just see that it's killing him.

I would expect that it's because the "official" intended purpose of the project was to VIEW the past, not to change it. Too much information of the future would mean too much temptation to change it.

Of course, as we now know, Sam had always intended to put right what once went wrong, and with GTFW's interference "trapping" Sam in time to fulfil his life's work, caused the official rules to be chucked out.

I never got that vibe - Al's too flippant and flamboyant to be a father role model IMO. (I still don't seen him as a military officer, lol)

Now we know better - Sam had a great father and he misses him terribly.

I never mistook Al as being Sam's father either, but because he's so much older and more experienced than Sam the dynamic of Al as mentor, guide and maybe a little bit father figure is there by default. But to me it's only a very small part of what is a rich, multi-faceted friendship and comes from Sam not Al, or at least that's my interpretation. Then again a lot of times Sam came across as the parental one to me because Al is so often just a big old kid.

Although not a favorite episode I consider this one of the best pilot episodes of any television series.

Last edited:
Good pilot movie. Donald P. Bellisario is written all over it. You really get the picture that things about the air force, air force bases, pilots, tests, and everything that has to do with big planes and military-like stuff is what rocks his world and gets him going, or at least used to. It's of course the episode that sets the series. Not on its entirety, but to some extent.

I agree with the person who said that every scene is a classic, but I was not too crazy about some of the constant scenes with the airplanes and Peg. They kinda dragged a bit, in my opinion.

The second story was a nice touch. I was in tears the first time I saw the scene where he calls his father, but, for some weird reason, this whole part with the baseball game is very relaxing. It has this effect on me.

My rating: Average.

Since paradoxes don't seem to be a problem for time travel in the QL universe, why not just write a letter to himself and have it dated for the date Sam steps into the chamber and tell himself not to step into the chamber.

Since paradoxes don't seem to be a problem for time travel in the QL universe, why not just write a letter to himself and have it dated for the date Sam steps into the chamber and tell himself not to step into the chamber.

I would say he wanted to step into the chamber and didn't want to stop himself.

And of course no show. :)

Really good ep as a pilot because it gave you a good explanation as to what happens. I hate series that give you little hints here and there as to the reason things are going on, it get really boring really quickly. Just give it to us straight up. I got really antsy about him having to fly the plane not realising of course that Al would step in to help (which I loved by the way) I also really felt for him when he was so confused and didn't know what was going on (mainly because I always feel like that and I aint even leaping around in time). Loved the kiss when the wife touches her lips like you can tell she's starting to beleive he's someone else and not her husband.

Wasn't too fussed about how he then leaped into the ball player, I know that they probably put that one in there so they could do the ringing his dad scene but I wished they'd ended it when he saved the baby. I couldn't see the point of the little extra bit at the end.

Most of all I instantly fell in love with Al, his personaility and his mannerisms and just the fact that he's there. Wish I had a buddy who'd just materialise in front of me (and no one else could see them) who'd tell me what to do when I'm confused or just give moral support. *sigh*

Actually, the second leap was entirely necessary. Remember that this is the pilot episode of the show, so it needs to set everything up. If it had just been the air force leap, then casual viewers will likely think it's a show about being on an air force base, not an anthology about a time traveller.

Just rewatched this for the first time in ages. I liked the X-2 scene when Al is showing Sam how to fly the plane, and telling him what to call to Edwards. Then Sam hears the fuel start to boil. He asks Al if he could hear it, and Al, still totally into flying this plane, responds, "Mach 2.6. Yes." Then he says dead serious, "It's the fuel, Sam. The heat is boiling the fuel. Shut 'em down, Sam, shut 'em down!"

My question is, why didn't Sam immediately shut down the rockets when the fire warning light came on, and Al told him to? Was it because the needle wasn't quite to Mach 3, and he knew he needed to hit 3 to Leap?

Still, I loved seeing Al in Pilot Mode. This episode, and my stint in the jet sims at Aviation Challenge (the Air Force side of Space Camp in Huntsville, AL), gave me a much greater appreciation of pilots everywhere - especially military jet pilots.

Last edited:
I watched Genesis again last night, and something actually really grated me. Obviously this is from having seen the whole series before, but it was really annoying me that Al constantly had a hangover. We find out in Play Ball that Al is a recovering alcoholic and gave it up thanks to Sam's intervention. While I guess it is possible that (a) Al only ever drinks occasionally on special occasions now (like the time travel project proving a "success"), or (b) he was so depressed about Sam becoming stuck in the past that he had a relapse. But it really did annoy me.

The one that started it all. Genesis is the most perfect opening episode to a series anyone could ever ask for. A pilot episode to me is make or break. You need to hook the viewers. It's not so much about the quality of the episode itself (although the story of Tom Stratton is a good one), it's the way it draws the viewer in that makes it a perfect pilot episode.

The best thing about the first scene, with Al speeding down a long highway (a mildly futuristic setting being strongly hinted at), is that we don't actually know what's going on at Project Quantum Leap that's making him so worried. Then we see a guy surrounded by a blue flame, a speeding car...cue title screen. The next thing we know we're tagging along with Sam, who somehow is in the past and inexplicably inhabiting another man's life. Now, because Sam has total amnesia, we're in the exact same boat as him. It's only after Al's explanation at the lake that we finally understand what's going on. This is the genius of Genesis. If everything was laid out before the leap the magic of the episode would be lost. Now of course, when I first watched this episode I'd already seen several episodes of the show, but I can only imagine what it was like for people when this first aired.

The first, proper scene with Sam and Al together at the jukebox is one of the best in the series for me. It's just so mysterious still at this point. It's a quiet, sedate scene that leaves the viewer at their most confused point. And then, the slow realisation that everything is happening for a reason, that Something...or Someone is orchestrating things to set right what once went wrong. Piece by piece, the premise of the show is laid out before us. It is nearly a flawless episode. I have only two small gripes.

Firstly, to be perfectly honest, Tom and Peg's story alone would not warrant such high praise. But due to the fact that this is in many ways only a backdrop to the main mystery of just what exactly is going on, makes this an easy fault to overlook. The other problem I have is the second leap. Again, the baseball story with Fox plays an important part in establishing a few important things. First, it shows that that Sam has A LOT more rights to wrong, and that leaping into another person's life will not be a one time thing. It also serves to help Sam finally be able to contact his father (one of the most touching scenes in the entire series). Overall, though, this mini leap does feel a little tacked on.

Funniest moment by far has to be Sam calling Al by his full name, Albert. It just is funny to me and odd because he never calls him this again in another episode. His cry of "ALBERT", as the X-2 descends away from the plane is laugh out loud funny.

My rating. Excellent. A great start to a truly timeless, magical series.