Katie and the Future

QuantumMatt

Project QL Intern
Jun 26, 2006
Manteca, CA
In the episode "The Leap Home", there was a scene in which Sam plays Lennon's song "Imagine" for his sister Katie. Katie is interested in hearing Sam play his favorite song and becomes scared as Sam plays it, fearing that he really does know the future. Here's the thing: after Sam leaps out and into Vietnam and after he saves Tom's life, my question is: what does Katie make of Sam's predictions? She might conclude that he was wrong about Tom dying but she will eventually discover that Sam is chillingly right about Lennon's song and then she will eventually meet Chuck.

Suppose that she doesn't marry Chuck and is surprised to discover that Sam is right about Lennon. What would she conclude from all of this, though? That Sam is a psychic? What might she conclude about her brother and these amazing insights into the future?

Matthew

There was another thread about this and it's a very interesting subject.
One thing my BFF and I conclude is that Tom's being alive could possibly prevent her from marrying Chuck or at least get away from him sooner than originally because he would give Chuck a peice of his mind and tell him to keep his paws off his sister. And Katie would probably wanna call on Tom more than anyone anyway because one of the novels seemed to suggest that Tom is her favorite brother who was always there for her. And yes the novels are not canon but it makes sense seeing as Sam was always busy with his scientific accomplishments and not to mention going to M.I.T at the time of Chuck.

Now about the song that is something I can't think of anything to say about which is rare. That's really a stumper, and very interesting to think about. She would of course get scared knowing that Sam was somehow dead on but I am not sure what she would do about it. I doubt she would go running to her parents because then the whole Sam knows the future scare would start again and they were worried enough the first time. So perhaps she gets creeped out but just keeps it to herself and thus nothing really happens.

Hey I was wrong, I did have something to say. :)

I like the think of the Butterfly Effect (not the movie, the effect). Sam singing this song might not seem like much at the time, but it could make profound changes to the future. It's sure to stick in Katie's mind... so when she hears the song for real surely she must put 2 and 2 together...

So I think Sam would have succeeded in changing his sister's life for the better.

naggindragon said:
I like the think of the Butterfly Effect (not the movie, the effect). Sam singing this song might not seem like much at the time, but it could make profound changes to the future. It's sure to stick in Katie's mind... so when she hears the song for real surely she must put 2 and 2 together...

So I think Sam would have succeeded in changing his sister's life for the better.

Shoot I didn't think of it that way, thats totally true. Cuz if Sam is right about the song she kind of can't any longer question him being right about Chuck.

naggindragon said:

Except, it's when she's crying, after Sam's sung "Imagine", that Al checks the handlink and tells Sam that nothing's changed - she still marries Chuck. If hearing Sam sing Imagine in "1969" had an effect on her future, then when Al checked the handlink, that information would have been there since it seems that Al's able to impart information on changes in history pretty much immediately after the action that would cause the change.

If there was anything that would have a possible impact on Katie's future it would most likely be Tom not being killed in Vietnam but even that's doubtful. A graduate of the US Naval Academy must serve a minimum of 5 years after their commissioning. It seems that it hasn't been that long since Tom's commissioning in "The Leap Home".

For arguments sake, let's say that Tom was commissioned in early 1969. That means his obligation to the Navy would run through 1974. It's in the episode "Promised Land" the elderly couple does say that he's just gotten back from Vietnam but that would be in keeping with historical fact. His tour in 'Nam began in either late '69 or early '70 and a tour of duty in Vietnam was the period of a year. So when they talk of him coming home, it could be in the sense that he'd returned home from Vietnam and has been granted leave. The timing would actually worked out well if he'd been sent to Vietnam in late '69 and then at the end of his first tour re-upped for a second tour. The date of "Promised Land" would be about the time frame that second tour would have ended.

He still, however, has about 3 years left in his obligation to the Navy. He also could have chosen to remain in the Navy when the five year period was up and, if that were the case, he wouldn't have had much more impact or presence in Katie's life than Sam did away at school.

Personally, I don't think there was any change in Katie's life just as there was, most probably, no change in John Beckett's life. Some things are just meant to be and this may be one of those cases.

Seems like there was an episode... can't recall which one... in which Sam remembers his names as Chuck or someone else. Could it be she married someone else and his memories were caught between the altering of time... remembering both? Man, I wish I could remember which episode I THINK I heard this in :banghead .

I believe it's in Genesis he says she's married to Jim (last name is eluding me) and lives in Hawaii and that's where his mother also lives. When he remembers that Katie was an abused wife (Camikazi Kid), he says that it was her first husband (so you can assume that Jim's the second husband). In the Leap Home the abusive husband's name is given as Chuck.

Oh yeah thanx for clearing that up Julia you are right. You seem to always have the best and most logical answer and I mean that as a compliment.

And Hologram, that was Genesis the first episode before he tried to change anything for his personal life including Donna, so Jim Bonnie would have to be her second husband.

Sam Beckett Fan said:
Oh yeah thanx for clearing that up Julia you are right. You seem to always have the best and most logical answer and I mean that as a compliment.

And Hologram, that was Genesis the first episode before he tried to change anything for his personal life including Donna, so Jim Bonnie would have to be her second husband.

Thank you. I always try to rely on logic and good research.

Thank you, too, for the name reminder...except it's Bonic, not Bonnie. Incidentally, the name Jim Bonic was also used in another Bellisario series, "Magnum P.I."

jmoniz said:
Thank you. I always try to rely on logic and good research.

Thank you, too, for the name reminder...except it's Bonic, not Bonnie. Incidentally, the name Jim Bonic was also used in another Bellisario series, "Magnum P.I."

Really, I could swear Sam said Bonnie? Oh well, I have not seen Genesis for a while.