View Single Post
Old 01-09-2019, 08:50 AM   #85
blue enigma
Accelerator Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightning McQueenie View Post
The difference is that the Jewish community is a minority, and thus needs to be treated with sensitivity. Parading a minority's culture for no reason is culturally insensitive.
Including a minority culture in a story isn't parading the culture for no reason. As long as the writers aren't being disrespectful, badly stereotyping the culture, etc., there's nothing insensitive or wrong about it.

I'm Jewish and I find nothing about this episode to be 'parading the culture' for no reason. In my opinion, the writers did a very good job with the representation of the culture and the religion, and were very respectful. From comments I've read, many Jewish fans of the show seem to share this view and like this episode. Of course there may be other Jewish fans who have a completely different take on it, but I haven't seen comments to that effect on this site or elsewhere.

A story about Jewish people doesn't have to focus on Jewish-specific issues. This episode is about grieving and loss, which I think the writers handled really well, and of course the episode could've focused on a family of any culture or religion experiencing grieving and loss. The fact that they chose to write this universal experience about a Jewish family doesn't make that insignificant to the story. But the writers actually did do a good job incorporating things specific to Judaism to give more nuance and show how this particular family was dealing - or not dealing - with Danny's death, such as the timing (exactly a year has passed and it's time for the Unveiling, they haven't even gone to pick out a headstone for their son, and they're arguing about it).