A couple of questions?

angvav

Temporary Account
First - If someone escpaped from the imaging chamber (e.g. killin' time), but never got caught, what sort of effects (if any) would it have on sam?

Second - Al can speak to sam. Can anyone else? For instance, a leapee? Must people BE on the same wavelength as sam?

:)

I can only answer your first question. I believe that if the person who Sam has leaped into is not in the Imaging Chamber, Sam cannot leap, and has to stay as that person until they are returned.

Sorry, but I don't know the answer to your second question.

angvav said:
Second - Al can speak to sam. Can anyone else? For instance, a leapee? Must people BE on the same wavelength as sam?

To speak to Sam, they have to be in the Imaging Chamber, and either have their own holographic program, as Gooshie did in "Killin' Time," or touch Al to be visible. For the rape victim to tell her story to Sam in "Raped," they had to do some kind of tinkering with Ziggy to make her audible as well as visible, but they were able to make it happen.

Canon would seem to suggest that nobody else can talk to Sam.

In "Star-Crossed" they could only monitor Al's side of the conversation.

In "Raped", Sam could see the leapee when Al held her hand, but it took some power hungry tweaking to enable him to hear her too.
There was one where Verbena was seen but not heard too - blanking on which ep it was at the moment.

I'm not sure if or where it is specifically mentioned but it seems to be accepted that Sam sees and hears Al because 'a neurological link' was established by incorporating brain cells from each of them when creating the 'parallel hybrid computer' - in other words Ziggy.
The implication is therefore that to be able to speak to Sam, such a link would have to be created with the new person.

However, the episode "Killin' Time" would seem to contradict this, as Gushie was able to go into the Imaging Chamber and speak to Sam.
The link was weak though, so I'm imagining that direct contact with the handlink was used to boost a weak signal. Erm, in Don type PCR let's say that Gushie has worked so closely with Ziggy over the years that some of his DNA had been absorbed by the matrix. How's that?

In leap back doesn't sam say that they can only communicate through the handlink to ziggy when their stuck, so surely they would need that to talk Sam.
But then Al doesnt always have it with him. Man im so confused:wacko

I could've sworn there was a scene in "Shock Treatment" where Al had a lady with him.

But Sam could not hear her. Only see her!

Thats what got me thinking about the topic!

I have to rush to my QL dvd's and watch it now! See if my memory is not swiss cheesed!

Off and away..............

angvav said:
I imagine that couldn't be done. Because you said "when creating ziggy".

Would I be right or wrong in saying that?

I'm certainly no expert. Others here probably know more about established canon.

I would imagine though that it wouldn't be possible for a number of reasons.
Firstly, yes, it is my understanding that the link was established when Ziggy was created. Thus it would not be the same just to add random material after the event.
Secondly, presumably both Al and Sam gave their consent to the proceedure. We are talking brain cells here, not like taking a needle full of blood from the arm. I don't see it would be worth the inevitable risks and time to do it for every leapee. There would have to be a very good reason to even attempt it.
It is fun to explore the possibilities though, isn't it?

I'm also wondering - some leapees 'synergised' with Sam. I'm thinking like when Sam got Will Kinman's stutter, or felt Larry Stanton's heart attack, or most dramatically found himself influenced by LHO. If such a synergising took place between the leapee and Sam, would that also perhaps allow a mental 'telepathy'? It is something I'm actually exploring for one of the stories I'm writing at the moment.

Sam and Al have their brainwaves linked via Ziggy. This can be considered to be a MONITORING of their brainwaves, to get them onto the same wavelength and frequency.

So as long as Ziggy could be tweaked to link up someone else's brainwaves to Sam's (or Al's), and have the brainwaves tweaked to be of a similar wavelength and frequency, Sam would be able to see someone else in the Imaging Chamber (ala Gooshie in Killin' Time) or someone from Sam's time would be able to see Al (ala Ebonezer in the Christmas episode). So to be able to hear Katie in Raped, they must have tweaked her brainwaves, because the only other way Sam could see the person is if Al is touching her, but this doesn't transmit audio.

Yes she can.

Alia is linked to Zoe's brainwaves. Zoe's became linked to Thames'.

Therefore Alia's were linked to Thames'.

Hence why Alia could see and hear Thames after Sam brought her
out of the hypnosis that was shielding her from Lothos.

My brainwaves hurt :(

leaper1 said:
I'm also wondering - some leapees 'synergised' with Sam. I'm thinking like when Sam got Will Kinman's stutter, or felt Larry Stanton's heart attack, or most dramatically found himself influenced by LHO. If such a synergising took place between the leapee and Sam, would that also perhaps allow a mental 'telepathy'? It is something I'm actually exploring for one of the stories I'm writing at the moment.

:p I actually wrote a scene for a sequel based on the residue a leapee leaves. It works both ways sometimes, like in "Lee Harvey Oswald". So this is about a woman who remembers having been Sam Beckett and still has part of his personality traits and memory, who tries to convince Al to restart Project Quantum Leap (long story why it isn't there anymore).

Back to the original question... I think someone with a strong residue from Sam could talk to him, if the 'link' is copied as well.
(assuming Sam-Sam link is compatible, or if you need a Sam-Al link for it to work)

angvav said:
First - If someone escpaped from the imaging chamber (e.g. killin' time), but never got caught, what sort of effects (if any) would it have on sam?

First, it's the waiting room that you meant. Secondly, physically, there is no reason why the leapee has to be in the waiting room for Sam to be able to leap except for the protocol put into Ziggy's proverbial brain that restricts Sam from leaping until after the leapee is found and brought back. Without that protocol, Sam could leap at any time while the second time traveller is missing and there would be no way to know where is the new traveller. It would be like looking for a "needle in a haystack".

Hope that helps! :)

:leap

Steve B.

RossBeckett said:
First, it's the waiting room that you meant. Secondly, physically, there is no reason why the leapee has to be in the waiting room for Sam to be able to leap except for the protocol put into Ziggy's proverbial brain that restricts Sam from leaping until after the leapee is found and brought back. Without that protocol, Sam could leap at any time while the second time traveller is missing and there would be no way to know where is the new traveller. It would be like looking for a "needle in a haystack".

Hope that helps! :)

:leap

Steve B.

It was explicitly stated by Al and Gooshie that Sam can't leap unless the leapee is in the Waiting Room, watch "Killin' Time". Ziggy also told Gooshie that Sam should be leaping, but he couldn't for that reason...

The only exception of course, was when Sam leapt into himself in "Mirror Image".