1207 Holding On...Letting Go, Part I

What is your opinion of this story?

• 5 ? This was an excellent episode! One of my personal favorites!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4 ? This episode was great! I will definitely tell others about it.

Votes: 3 75.0%
  • 3 ? This episode was good. It was worth reading.

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • 2 ? This episode is like the neutral zone ? I am indifferent.

• 1 ? Bellisario would be rolling in his grave if he had one.

• Total voters
D

Dman176

Holding On...Letting Go, Part I
September 11, 1997

Walt Disney World Resort, Orlando, Florida

As college student Howie Lockwood on vacation with friends to Walt Disney World to attend the Nights of Joy, Sam must overcome interferences both internal and external as lack of information complicates his mission while memories of his own failures nip at his mind as he strives to prevent a fellow student from vanishing. Sam and Al also find healing from a series of 'successful failed Leaps' in an unexpected way. (Part I)

Written by: C. E. Krawiec & Jennifer L. Rowland

Thanks,
TVS Team

Last edited:
Our rating system this season consists of six raters and three back-up raters! We took the average of six raters and came up with an average for that episode. Based on ratings of 10 being the highest and 1 being the lowest, the average of this episode was: 8.92

Please be aware that some reviews may contain spoilers! Some of the comments given were:

Xanadu said:
This story was one that made you really relax. Sam's not in trouble. He's not in constant fear. He's just there. I couldn't help but giggle at some of those comments though. They were great. It was a wonderful job ladies!

RATING: 9.5

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Morris J. Finkle said:
It's great seeing Sam finally getting somewhat of a break from all of the recent goings-on in The Virtual Seasons. Walt Disney World... that's definitely a place I never would have really thought of placing Sam in. But it seems to work so far. Eleiece has already established herself as a solid writer, and I've become a fan of Jennifer's work since reading her stories from The Starbright Project and the "Stardust" series that was on the site this summer.

Nice how it links back to several of the more recent leaps as well. Looking forward to reading Part II. Great job, you two!

RATING: 9.0

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Sporty said:
I am glad to see that Sam is in a Leap where things aren't as dire, interesting about the memories of his failures. I am sure by the end of this Sam will be much better mentally, even Al. Great job!

RATING: 8.0

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Allie Cat said:
Wow! It's so wonderfully written! But then what else do you expect from Eleiece and Jennifer! I've been a big fan of both of their stories for a long time and it's nice to read a collaboration between them. Although I've never been to Walt Disney World, I have a friend who describe some of her experiences, especially the Tower of Terror. Her description and the description in this story makes me want to go there right now!

Yes, it's great to see Sam having a little fun for a change, especially since he's a "meganerd", as Al once put it. And Al definitely needs a vacation; he's got far too much on his mind.

Overall, a great story! Can't wait to read part 2!

RATING: 8.5

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Vince Beckett said:
It's a good way to begin this 4-part story. I look forward to seeing what happens next.

RATING: 9.5

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Gooshie said:
Thanks to the writers for finally giving Sam a taste of a break. He certainly has been put through some tough times over the past few leaps and it was nice to see him relax. Since this episode has a sequel, I guess we will see exactly why he has leaped into Walt Disney World.

Al, on the other hand, looks like he needs a vacation of his own. At least he can get along with the Visitor on this leap. Too bad Verbena went on vacation since she would probably enjoy seeing such an agreeable Visitor for once. ;) The interaction between Al and Howie was so well written, not to mention the rest of the episode. You two have written a wonderful episode and I'm sure the ones to follow will meet the same standards.

RATING: 9.0

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Now, it's your opportunity to rate this particular story. Let the author(s) know how you rate this story. If you'd like to give feedback, please go ahead and leave a reply!

Thanks!
The Virtual Seasons Team

Last edited:
Great job, Eleiece and Jennie! This episode was interesting, especially with the detailed conversations between Al and the visitor. I don't believe I've ever seen such conversation in the Waiting Room before. Would have liked to see more of Sam, but since this is a multi-part episode, I'm sure that is yet to come. And how nice for our favourite time traveller to finally get some semblence of a break!

Just a minor technicality I should mention is using the term "logarithm". Being a computer scientist and a mathematician, I'd like to point out that a logarithm is a mathematical function for use with exponents and are not difficult to calculate ("We're trying to calculate a logarithm...") if you took high-school math. :b I think you meant "algorithm"...

I enjoyed seeing a reference to the previous episode as well. Good job on the research of Korean names. Although I never met anybody with those names while I was there, they sound pretty authentic. <G> I have a feeling this isn't the last mention of Korea in this season... ;)

So, Jennie, I guess your trips to Disney World weren't for fun at all... you were going for research material! :b

My rating: 4 (a high one). Can't wait for part two!

... Mike. ^_^
(post #25)

Since this is a four part episode, it is hard to comment on what is in effect only a quarter of the story.

I concur with the comments made so far - high time Sam got some R & R, though knowing Jen and Eleiece I fear this may be the calm before the storm!

I like Howie, and enjoyed the Waiting Room scenes. (In answer to the comment that this is rare, can I point the rater with shameless plugosity to my story "Run for Their Lives" {www.fanfiction.net}where Al interacts at length with Leapee Mary McGillicudy.)

A sign that this must be a good story, as if there were ever any doubt, is that I am counting down the minutes until I can my eager hands and eyes on part 2!

Well done ladies.