QL Fanfilm Underway!

Kirok

Project QL Intern
Hey Gang,

Just wanted to pass along the decision that the fanfilm: "Quantum Leap: A Leap To Di For" is officially underway! In deciding what was to be on my production plate for 2008, I’ve got two projects to complete. My last feature (a non-fanfilm), and THIS FANFILM FOR US FANS! Although there is no way we can get Scott or Dean to participate, I can’t let that stop me from being the FIRST legitimate production team to professionally produce a thought provoking and exciting return to the visual medium.

Amateurs won’t shoot this I can guarantee you. Everything from lighting, sound, sets, to our CG work will professionally rendered and cared for to the finest degree. QL deserves nothing less!

Attached is a preliminary poster for the episode. I’m wrapping up a 35-second promotional video clip that will premiere THIS FRIDAY NIGHT at Indianapolis’ InConJunction Science Fiction & Fantasy convention! This way, I can gauge the audiences’ immediate reaction to seeing the first cinematic reincarnation of our beloved TV show! The 35 second promo clip will precede the showing of my last fanfilm, Star Trek Vs. Batman, which won FIRST PLACE in the fanfilm competition at Seattle’s RadCon Festival this past February.

This is just the announcement, and casting or pre-production duties have been set into motion just yet. (Its not even listed on my website as of yet!) Filming is to take place in early to mid 2008 at this point, depending on life, financing, and production issues. I can’t say too much about the story, but the video clip will explain the essential theme of Sam’s incredible leap… I’m still writing the screenplay. I can tell you this will be a standard episode length (45 minutes to an hour).

Remember that this is ultimately made by fans, FOR FANS! :) It’s for fans all over the world!

Thanks for your interest!

All the best,

Christopher Allen (Kirok) :)
RACSO Motion Pictures
Indianapolis, IN
www.racsofilms.com

ql-poster2.jpg

First of all may I say
Looking very professional indeed. Like many others here, I'm very excited at the prospect of a quality QL production.

On the downside, can I just say
It looks as if you are planning to have Sam involved in trying to save Princess Diana from her untimely death. Whilst this is an obvious wrong that ought to be righted in the QL universe, a lot of British people especially are still very sensitive about the whole subject of the media handling of all things Diana. I know from a lot of my friends (both QL fans and non QL fans) that there is a very strong feeling of 'let the poor woman rest'.
I just wanted you to be aware that your subject matter may alienate some of your potential fans.

leaper1 said:
On the downside, can I just say
It looks as if you are planning to have Sam involved in trying to save Princess Diana from her untimely death. Whilst this is an obvious wrong that ought to be righted in the QL universe, a lot of British people especially are still very sensitive about the whole subject of the media handling of all things Diana. I know from a lot of my friends (both QL fans and non QL fans) that there is a very strong feeling of 'let the poor woman rest'.
I just wanted you to be aware that your subject matter may alienate some of your potential fans.

Ah, but QL did that all the time, taking issues that people were sensitive about and making shows that the network was reluctant to air. If it's handled as well as the show handled these issues, this should be a good film. And it's new Quantum Leap!

This looks quite good! I have to agree with Lady Kayoss though that QL did hit lots of controversial issues and made some really good shows with them. I hope you can do the same while keeping the sensitivity of Diana's death in mind. If you need promotional fuel, I can get something about it on the website here. Just let me know!

I've seen plenty of British stuff that didn't seem to mind sensitivity when it came to us and like she said... controversy is Sam's middle name (Oswald, Raped, etc. Need I go further?). If you need any help, logos, a smiling face to be in it, whatever, you name it. I'd be happy to contribute to this in any way you can use me, Kirok. I'm very excited, I love the title of it and can't wait to see the promo!

I completely understand that sensitive issue, and am taking great care in making sure the story is told with care, love, and concern. Believe me, nothing will happen in this that will cause alarm or alienate audiences. But I really appreciate your words of wisdom (Leaper1 and AlsplaceBartender), and giving it a sincere voice. Rests assured that the story won’t rewrite history or cast anyone in any bad light whatsoever. But, some of the best stories deal with "what if?". That IS a possibility presented in this story.

Once I’m finished with the first draft of the story, I’ll be more than happy to share the script with anyone who wants to read it.

Thanks for all the support, everyone! :)

Take care,

~Kirok

I'm not wanting to prolong this a lot, and I appreciate your reassurances Kirok.

I'd just like to clarify my point in one area of the responses though.
I 100% agree that QL dealing with sensitive issues such as rape and racism was one of its strengths. I :hurray: the team for not bowing to pressure from the networks etc. or ducking the tough stuff.

That is quite different to the episodes which messed with real lives like Elvis and Marilyn and LHO, which I and a few other fans (just an opinion) didn't take to as much as the others.

I don't want to come across as the bad guy here, just expressing an opinion that may be a minority one, but is no less valid for that.

For what it's worth, British shows being insensitive to American feelings is equally wrong in my book - unfortunately they don't consult me! :p
I was just as uncomfortable with the idea of fictional works 'cashing in' on 911.

Rest assured I will not dismiss your work out of hand Kirok, and would welcome the opportunity to 'beta test' the script.

I can even confess that one of my stories has a pretty massive 'kiss with history' which impacts on the main plot, and deals with a real life tragedy, though it is not the central 'point' of the Leap. I sought permission from the lady involved (Jill Kinmont Boothe) to include her story, and offered her editorial rights as I was worried about causing any distress. Obviously you cannot do the same in this case.

Well said, Leaper1. :)

I appreciate your thoughts, and you have nothing to worry about… I know your concerns weren’t meant to come off as the bad guy. Like you, I’m a HUGE fan and want to do QL justice after 14 years. While the Diana character is the central core of the story, it will also allow the story to re-establish the characters since May of ’93.

I want to make the story something that non-QL fans will be drawn too as well. In 15 years of producing and directing films, one valuable lesson I’ve learned is nothing matters unless you have a good story. That is the entire foundation for this project.

So not to worry, my friend. I value the input. I also know how corny it was that the Elvis and Marilyn Monroe shows didn’t do much either, so I can appreciate the words of friendly counsel.

Back to editing for now! I'm almost done rendering the last section of the trailer in After Effects.

Take care,
CHRIS (or Kirok) ;)

*grins* It's not even in production yet and it's already generating controversy. It's starting to feel like a real QL episode already! I'm eager to see how it turns out; Sam's leaps into celebrities lives have been hit-or-miss so far. I'd like to see one that's well handled.

Is the promo clip going to be available to download? I'd like to see it.

And I just visited your website, and was very impressed with what I saw. I've seen many fanvideos, and while they are labors of love, the people who made them are usually amateurs who don't have much money. From what I've seen, you're very talented, and this could be very high quality indeed! You really should try to see if Scott or Dean have any interest in cameo roles, because it can't hurt. Heck, if you can get one of them, I'd even help with their paychecks, so long as I can be on set at the same time. :)

And Leaper1, thanks for playing devil's advocate. Sometimes, it's difficult to see what a sensitive subject something can be to those for whom the event is close to home. This should help me keep in mind that this was a real tragedy.

Kirok said:
Once I’m finished with the first draft of the story, I’ll be more than happy to share the script with anyone who wants to read it.

I'd love to read it. In the area of screenplays I'm a complete amateur, but I am a professional editor of book manuscripts. If you'd like a proofreader's eye or a beta reader, I'm pretty good at that.

I'm glad to hear you've already put a lot of thought into this.

Hi Folks,

Controversy? Nah! :D This is great stuff… lively, friendly discussions on story lines. I too am eager to see how it gets all fleshed out on the page… but for now, you’ll have to settle for the small "launch" trailer I am using for the project. I hope and pray its at least decent… check it out here. I’ll eventually post it up to YouTube, but wanted to share it with you all ASAP. Please let me know if the link is dead, or doesn’t work. I suggest using Quicktime or Real Player to play it since it’s a .MOV file. Final Cut Pro doesn’t offer me the option to convert over to WMV files.

Getting Scott or Dean for a cameo is an option, but they’re SAG players, which means they are quite pricey. A show I’m working on is getting B movie star Bruce Campbell for it, and SAG requires a $25K down payment just to TALK to the actor… I really appreciate the offer though, Emma. Very nice of you! And THANKS for the compliments on our website! Every project we’ve done is a step up in terms of quality and distinction.

SPOILER alert… San won’t be leaping into Diana…

Enjoy the trailer!

~Kirok

Kirok said:
Getting Scott or Dean for a cameo is an option, but they’re SAG players, which means they are quite pricey. A show I’m working on is getting B movie star Bruce Campbell for it, and SAG requires a $25K down payment just to TALK to the actor… I really appreciate the offer though, Emma. Very nice of you! And THANKS for the compliments on our website! Every project we’ve done is a step up in terms of quality and distinction.

~Kirok

$25K just to talk? I'm seriously in the wrong business... And here I'd've been willing to play "random person in background" for free. And, just out of curiosity, were you talking to Emma here, or me? You called her by name, but seemed to address my questions.

I look forward to seeing this film. I congratulate you and thank you for taking on this project. I know this is not an easy programme to emulate, as we are a picky bunch, but you seem to be a real fan and as a real fan, you will treat the programme with the dignity and respect it deserves.

As for the Diana aspect, I won't get involved in the rights and wrongs of it. I am not British, so I feel that it is not for me to answer. Instead I will say becareful, historical storylines are difficult to write and sometimes they project the views of the writer and some people can resent that. I know that Donald received a lot of flack for LHO and trying to hammer home to people his opinions.

That said and done, I look forward to seeing the finish product and I wish you all the best of luck with it.

Thank you, Ziggysego... I think that what is really cool is the Diana aspect to it. If anything, its intriguing and will (hopefully) make people want to see it... But no history will be re-written. Sure, some will not like it, but that's the risk any filmmaker runs. I remember on Star Trek Vs. Batman, I had a few fans who didn't like the humor of it, but most were just happy to see the 60's Batman make a return in some way or another.

I'm REALLY excited to see what the audiences reaction will be tonight when I preview the QL "re-launch" video at InConJunction here in about four hours... That will be the first chance to really gauge an immediate reaction to seeing QL's rebirth. :hurray: I can't wait!! I'll let you all know what happens.

Best,

~Kirok

It went GREAT last night!! Anybody who’s been to Cons knows how informal and relaxed everything is, but before we started STVB, I asked for a show of hands as to who was QL fans… more than half the audience members raised their hands with a definite gleam in their eyes… you could just see their minds trying to remember the show, and how great it was. It was certainly an unexpected surprise to see how the audience reacted just by me saying ‘Quantum Leap’.

So we started the preview, and when they saw the image of Diana, one lady said "Oh My God!" in emphatic surprise. Then the white leap flash appeared, then the title of QL appeared… I heard a "Wow"… a "no way" and "I can’t believe it!"

So, at least from what I could see and hear, it appeared to go over pretty well. Keep in mind it was just a teaser as there was no real footage to show… but you could tell there was a pulse in the room before we played STVB.

At the end, everyone was asking if I was planning on doing another fanfilm, and my answer was ‘Quantum Leap’. The business cards went a flyin’ because they definitely wanted to see it.

There is a tangible energy still out there, and I was THRILLED to have started the ball rolling.

~Kirok

Get used to that... if the actual film is half as good as this little production you've put together, you're going to have a winner on your hands that I'd bet even Lady Di would be proud of. Her and Sam were very similar people, you know... they both help others above and beyond their own needs and concerns. Controversy, my eye. This should be made. And I hope you do not mind, but I would like to link to it on my homepage. I want to help get the buzz out! :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray:

Kirok said:
It went GREAT last night!! Anybody who’s been to Cons knows how informal and relaxed everything is, but before we started STVB, I asked for a show of hands as to who was QL fans… more than half the audience members raised their hands with a definite gleam in their eyes… you could just see their minds trying to remember the show, and how great it was. It was certainly an unexpected surprise to see how the audience reacted just by me saying ‘Quantum Leap’.

So we started the preview, and when they saw the image of Diana, one lady said "Oh My God!" in emphatic surprise. Then the white leap flash appeared, then the title of QL appeared… I heard a "Wow"… a "no way" and "I can’t believe it!"

So, at least from what I could see and hear, it appeared to go over pretty well. Keep in mind it was just a teaser as there was no real footage to show… but you could tell there was a pulse in the room before we played STVB.

At the end, everyone was asking if I was planning on doing another fanfilm, and my answer was ‘Quantum Leap’. The business cards went a flyin’ because they definitely wanted to see it.

There is a tangible energy still out there, and I was THRILLED to have started the ball rolling.

~Kirok

So, tell me again, why hasn't A Bold Leap Forward been made? Obviously, there isn't a lack of interest in QL! It's gratifying to see that there are still so many people who remember and love the show. Now, if only the studios could see this...

And I'm glad that your trailer received such a warm reception.

I keep re-watching the trailer.
All I can say is WOW!
This Needs to be made, and as a fan you would keep closer to the original than say any so called 'name'.
Best wishes with the project (pun not intended).

:bow :bow :bow

Is it just me or did the Diana leap effect look even better than the effect in the actual show???

I agree with everyone who's posted. This is a MUST SEE!!!

I will have to make a similar offer replacing ziggysego's name with mine and Australia as the location...

I sincerely hope you are planning to have this showing at the 20th anniversary convention... If you wanted to make some money I'm sure people would buy a copy on DVD... if you can get around the copyright laws that is...

Wow, you guys just ROCK. All of your awesome replies are really incredible to see, and are inspiring. Momentum comes and goes through the life span of a project, so to see excitement this early is remarkable. THANKS!! :D

I was really pushing QL at the ‘Con here in Indianapolis yesterday. The conversation about QL was held over dinner, and (again), so many of our friends and guests were genuinely excited to hear about this project.
The studios WILL see this because I am going to use this as a ‘pilot’ to approach SciFi, or anyone who’s willing to listen or give QL a chance once more. We almost need a ‘Richard Hatch’ type pulling for QL as he did for BSG. His efforts were (no doubt) instrumental in getting BSG re-launched...

Writing continues between husband and horse duties, but I am pleased with what is happening. I felt that re-establishing the characters and events since Mirror Image is vital, and important in the overall story arc.
NagginDragon: You think the leap effect looked better than the show’s? Wow… thanks, but I didn’t really try to improve it.

Thanks to everyone!!

~Kirok

Kirok said:
We almost need a ‘Richard Hatch’ type pulling for QL as he did for BSG. His efforts were (no doubt) instrumental in getting BSG re-launched...

Well... be careful what you wish for! :) Remember that the new Battlestar is vastly different from the original, and fans of the original mostly hate the new show. I happen to like the new BSG, but if they did a "dark reimagining" of Quantum Leap, yikes!

But anyway, your point is that if someone who was involved with the original was pulling for a new show, it would be a big help. That's certainly true.

I have a question regarding something from the FAQ. You mentioned that you won't be selling this on DVD - obviously, since this is a fan production - but will it be made available on that format somehow? It's difficult for me to play things on my computer, and I'd much rather stick something in my DVD player and watch it on my TV. What if fans just pay to cover the cost of the DVD itself and the work to copy that film to DVD? Isn't that what most fanfilm makers do?

Okay, I know this question is premature, but I thought I'd just throw it out there now.