Renaissance Faires, anyone?

Errowyn

Project QL Intern
Sep 4, 2008
California
Is anyone else a fellow Renaissance Faire lover? I love the faires myself and make my own costumes for them. I wore a costume I made for Saturday but it got soda spilled on it so I had to wash it. It wasn't dry by morning so I wore my costume I wore when I worked at the faire.

The digital camera's batteries died so I won't be able to upload pics until next weekend. Mom also wants to take a few pics of me in costume so hopefully I'll have them up by next Saturday/Sunday.

Anyone else attend the faires?

I don't attend them, but I do remember a time during the 7th Grade that relates to Renaissance Faires. Every year, our history teacher, in honor of the fact that we spent about 4/5 of the year studying Feudal Europe, would have a faire planned out in the field the whole day for the 7th Graders. It was a graded event, and the only real criteria was that we had to dress up for it. Most women looked the same (the same design as your profile picture, Errowyn), but men ranged from peasants to knights to nobles to monks.

That was a lot of fun, so much so that I even helped out with the events when I was in the Eighth Grade!:roflmao:

I enjoy them but I haven't had the chance to get to one in years. Been to the ones in MD. and PA. . Bummer, but the one for CO. supposedly takes place close to where I live each year but some thing always comes up. I've had a goal for a while to buy a drinking horn and they're the only place I know that sells them :\ .

Quite often at the faire that I go to you'll either see women nobles, pirates, or peasants. It depends on the weekend as some people do get into the themed weekends.

A few people reconized the Elizabeth Swann costume but I did get quite a few nice comments on it. That dress took forever to make.

Systemcat,

I've seen the drinking horns sold at various faires so they're around. Have you looked around online to see if you can find one?

The problem with the faire was that there was only one costume shop in town, and, being the place I got my outfit from, there was not much vareity. However, the dress that you made looked better than the dresses that were factory made in the costume shop. It looked like more time and effort was put into it.

There's about three or four costume shops at the faire I go to. One deals with strictly noble clothing, another is more fantasy, and the third is inbetween.

Don't get me wrong, I like some costume shops. However, many of them make quick copies of outfits which give you the general idea but may not be entirely correct. If the fabric is good you can modify one of the outfits. Most of mine I've made from scratch though.

I used immitation bridal satin for the dress. I learned my lesson there. The stuff loves to fray.

Errowyn said:
Quite often at the faire that I go to you'll either see women nobles, pirates, or peasants. It depends on the weekend as some people do get into the themed weekends.

A few people reconized the Elizabeth Swann costume but I did get quite a few nice comments on it. That dress took forever to make.

Systemcat,

I've seen the drinking horns sold at various faires so they're around. Have you looked around online to see if you can find one?

Never thought of looking online before, thanks for the idea.:D