View Single Post
Old 10-08-2002, 10:38 PM   #14
mstalanon
Assistant to Gooshie

Default Re: Round Robin 2 : Part Twelve

<!--EZCODE ITALIC START--> <!--EZCODE BOLD START--> "Admiral?"<!--EZCODE BOLD END--><!--EZCODE ITALIC END-->

Al jerked and looked around the woods. He heard the voice muffled and inside his head, yet it also seemed to echo from around the woods.

"Gooshie?" he said, worriedly.

Some sounds of the handlink being accessed also reverberated in Calavicci's head, making his teeth ache with the effort. He again glanced around, spinning in a full circle as he did so.

<!--EZCODE ITALIC START--> <!--EZCODE BOLD START--> "There, I think I've got it!"<!--EZCODE BOLD END--><!--EZCODE ITALIC END--> Gooshie said, his voice coming more into focus. He likewise shimmered into a visual existance before Al, appearing in his all-white labcoat. He looked around, pulled up a status display from Ziggy, and smiled. "Ahh, much better, wouldn't you say, Admiral?"

"Says you, Gooshie! I can think of lots of things I'd rather see than your smiling face." He grinned a bit and added, "However, I'm glad you could make it here... wherever... here is." Al moved around. "Where the hell am I supposed to go? Sam is here... as a guy that did... this... to me." He gestured to his torn blouse and held up his brasier.

Gooshie blushed and quickly punched in some buttons. "Al, do you know who you are?"

"Sure, I'm Admiral - - - Cal-Calivicci!"

"Very good Admiral. You're in the outskirts of Camdenton, Missouri, in the lake area of "The Lake of the Ozarks", home of Ha Ha Tonka, although that doesn't become a National Park until the late seventies. Bridal Cave and Bagnell Dam..."

"GOOSHIE!" Al interrupted loudly, swinging his arm through the new Observer's image, cause it to blur slightly. "Just tell me what I'm doing here!"

The head programmer blushed, and he looked down. "Sorry Admiral. This is new to me, too!"

"No it's not," Al interrupted. "You filled in for me once before... didn't you?"

"That is correct, A-Al. But as with then, Ziggy is having to quadruple the energy she's using to tune us in... kinda like smashing atoms, for she's literally forcing my neurons to be in sync with yours. It gives me a... slight headache. I'm just nervous."

"Sorry Gooshie. Just tell me where Sam is."

"I don't know."

"What?" The Admiral in Al came bursting out. "What do you mean?"

"When you Quantum Leaped, you overrode All of Ziggy's neural connections she had with Doctor Beckett. The effort of keeping track of two leapers, especially since you literally leaped into Sam... who had Leapt into Connie Blademore... This has introduced a whole new level of Quantum Physics that we've not programmed into her. She's lost him. You will better be able to keep track of Doctor Beckett than we will!"

Al harrumphed. "Okay, he was just here a minute ago. So if I find him, we should be okay. I mean, it's a wooded area in the largest state park in the whole state of Missouri. He can't get TOO far!"

"That is correct Admiral."

Al blew out air and rolled his eyes. "I'm being sarcastic, Gooshie."

The programmer looked lost for a moment, his eyes darting back and forth. He finally looked down at the handlink so he could concentrate on something.

"Sorry Gooshie, didn't mean to upset you. I forget you don't often understand jokes. I guess humor isn't something you do a lot, huh?"

The programmer tinked a second or two, slowly pulling up a status. He finally looked up at the admiral with a stern look to his expression, one uncommon on the man. "When you work with computers in a cavern two miles below the surface of the desert for the past five years, working tons of overtime, being on call twenty-four hours a day, and having a superior officer that suddenly Quantum Leaps, leaving you all alone except for his girlfriend and a Psychiatrist that loves to examine everything... do you think you'd have much of a sense of humor?"

Al blinked for a second, absorbing what the head programmer had said. "Um... Sorry?" he asked.

Gooshie shrugged Al's sentence away.

There was an uncomfortable moment of silence, and then Al broke it by clearing his throat. "Girlfriend? No I am married..."

Gooshie remained stern. "According to Doctor Beckett and your rules, <!--EZCODE ITALIC START--> 'the Leaper can not and will NOT be influenced by the Observer, specifically with knowledge from the future about personal information of any of the employees and contractors of Project: Quantum Leap.'<!--EZCODE ITALIC END--> In short, Admiral, you need to concentrate on the Leap, not on the Future you left.

"Now," Gooshie continued, undaunted. "Since I can not communicate with Doctor Beckett because of the severed neural connections, you will have to save young Bobby from the lonely death by drowning he'll undergo later tonight. Doctor Beckett has broken the ice, but he's still in danger. Ziggy states that it's a fifty-three percent chance he'll still overdose.

"The bright side of this is you did save Doctor Beckett from the awful future of bearing a child from the byproduct of rape by Brenton Wetherspoon."

"Yes Gooshie, but NOW I'm Connie, and Sam is Brent!" Al stated.

"Well then, I DON'T think you two are going to be having sex any time soon." Gooshie smiled, and then the look fell away from his face. "Are you?" he questioned.

Matt
www.knightshow.com