View Single Post
Old 06-20-2019, 05:19 PM   #65
chris-oates
Imaging Chamber Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightning McQueenie View Post

Al the bartended said explicitly that he's not God.

:P
Just watched this final episode again today. I won't be reviewing this one for a while (because I'm reviewing the episodes in order), but just wanted to clarify that Al the bartender never explicitly says much, let alone that he isn't God. He says "only God knows everything", in a rather wry manner. And then says something like, "You don't seriously think I'm God, do you?" That's not a denial. Let alone an outright one. He's just playing with Sam. He kinda does it throughout the whole episode in a good natured way. Having gained a greater understanding of the series throughout the years, there isn't many ways to begin examining this episode without first accepting that Al the bartender is GTFW. The only other way to look at it is to take a Wizard of Oz type look at it, and come to the conclusion that this leap only happens within Sam's mind. Personally, I've never bought this theory. It's not that it doesn't make sense. But it just doesn't feel right to me, and I don't think Don was aiming for that.

EDIT. Forgot to mention that I do have a gripe regarding the "it's all happening in Sam's head" theory. If that were the case, why do we see the scenes at the project? Is Sam dreaming up that as well, or is that part happening in reality?