Quantum Leap Dreams

Samantha_Beckett said:
No fair! I want your dream!! Lucky!

I flew a couple dreams in my dreams. I was able to fly all around my house, but if I flew outside my front or back doors, I plummeted to the ground and then woke up.

Samantha Beckett

yes and i had another dream a couple nights ago where i slept with Sam, with my head laying on his bare chest and his ams tight around me, (sigh), and he had to get up early for something so he urged me awake by kissing my forehead and said "hey sleeping beauty" and i woke up and kissed him good morning on the lips. hehe. the rest of that dream was just weird.

and when i flew in another dream at the end i flew over this black lady in her car and i tried to land so she would not see me flying but i could not land becasue i wouold come back up like a bungee cord, and then she saw me as i fkew off trying ti go really high and i heard he rbehind me going
"oh my god! that girl, she's flying!"

as for the dream you are talking about Samantha, the rest of it was sad, becasue we were walking together and sat on these sofas, him across from me and we talked about my dad becasue in real life he died in october, and i started crying really hard and he said "come here" and held his arms out for me, and i rn to them, and he let me cry in his embrace.

Dear SBF;
Please accept my condolences on the loss of your father. Mine passed in 1997, and my mother joined him in April of this year.
What would you say if I told you that your father had come to visit you in a way that you would be comfortable with? Unless you are really open-minded, and can accept that there is more, those who have left the physical realm often come back in a form more readily accepted. Many, many people are able to "connect" with the afterlife when they sleep, through their dream worlds. He knows how sad you are, and how much of a void his passing has torn in your heart. He just wants you to know that he's not really "gone", only in a physical sense.
I have only been involved with the science of the afterlife for about 18 months, although my father did come to me almost a year after he passed. He told me that he knew I was scared, because I was working in Mexico, but that if I did what I normally do, then everything would turn out OK.
A week before my mom passed, she dreamt of her father, and her husband. She became at peace with her imminent passing, and I had nothing, no dreams, no warnings, nothing. I felt useless, my "gift" had gone dead. But, the night before we buried her, I had a wondrous pair of dreams which enabled me to get through that awful day.
I watched as eight angels, all people who I never knew in this life, led her through a doorway to meet Dad. Mom looked a lot better, and younger, than when she passed. It was as if she'd just returned from a makeover. One of the angels held Mom's arm, and just before they entered the doorway, Mom turned to me, smiled, and waved. The angel holding her arm looked at me and smiled at me.
The angel would return in early May, as I struggled with depression.
I dreamt I was in a garden, sitting on a cement bench. I was crying. She came to me, and asked me why I was crying. I said that I missed my parents, and asked if I could see them. She said no, that I had to learn to live without them now, and that we would all be a family again someday. I said that I missed them so much, and continued crying. She knelt before me, and asked me to give her my hands. She said "Look at me. You can't do this to yourself." Then, she looked me in the eyes, and told me something which I will remember for as long as I live:
"Your finest hour is still before you."
I was able to pull myself out of the gravity well of the depression, and go on with that knowledge.
You can do it too.

Another QL dream...

SamBeckettfann said:
i actually did fly once, but it was just random, it was cool though.:)
thanks.

I remember I could fly once too, but the time was too short.

I also remember I could pass through the wall in a nightmare few years ago: For some reason I was being chased by some ugly creatures, and I reached a closed street. At first it was too hard to cross the bricks, but then I remembered it was just a dream, and somehow I got through them, and the creatures lost me, but once I was in the other side of the wall, I found myself falling, like if I was doing it from a plain in the sky, so it didn't help me on any. Lucky I woke up.

Now, about the QL dreams, I had another the other night, last saturday, by the way. I was watching QL again, like in all my QL dreams, but this time the episode was more focused on Al. I could see him in a big room (like a courtroom or something), and he passed through the people when he was walking, and everything he does as a hologram (functions), except opening the IC door..., but he was scared. So scared. He was afraid of something, but I never knew what it was exactly. The episode also seemed so dark, and the music was so frightening, like in a mystery/horror movie type. Sam was there also, but not with Al, he was alone in another dark place, and from one time to another, Al was leaving the room's door, walking in reverse order, and kind of screaming, and when he was crossing the mark's door, a red/yellow glow appeared from outside, like if it was going to absorbe him or something, then I couldn't see anything more, except the credits and slow shoots of the big room (now empty, without anyone) because the episode was beginning, I suppose, and when I got to the writing credits, it said "Teleplay by: Stephen King. Story by: Stephen King & Donald P. Bellisario", and the directing credits "Directed by: Donald P. Bellisario." Then my alarm clock sounded and I had to wake up.

The episode in my dream had kind of the atmosphere of the episode "Dreams". It was more like a nightmare, but I guess I dreamed about that because I always wanted Stephen King to write a QL episode, and Donald to direct it.

i just remembered another QL dream i had a while ago, although the QL part did not come in till later.

My aunt i and i were secret agents assigned to solve a murder case. (ooh oooh, and i flew in this dream too at the end) from what i currently remember, we had these two guys as the suspects and were required to search thier house for evidence. i snuck in by following this group of kids that were playing a crawling game of some kind, they were crawling on the ground in a line and required to give this one kid a bunch of leaves as like a payment to get in, so i grabbed a branch of them, and handed them over after this one kid was turned away for not having any. so i start to search the house, (after i manage to slink past the two guys) and searched each room while my aunt had the other side of the house. at one point we got drinks i remember that. but anyway, i found nothing and i tell my aunt this and she says "Did you check that room yet?" pointing to a room behind me, and i answer that i did not and proceeded to. well luck had it, i found a gun in the room, and i seemed to reconize it, so i pick it up with a piece of cloth and leave the room to show my aunt. at first i rember i could not find her, and i was going to pass this staircase to check this one room, but the two guys came into the room, and this is where the QL part comes in, Sam and Al both cameo in this one little bit. Sam is hidden with me behind the staircase as like my partner,shushing me while i am panicking with the gun, cause i think i am going to get caught with and and be blamed for the murder, and Al is standing out in the open and said "Hide the gun, you gatta hide the gun so they don't know you have it!". so i hid it between Sam's legs, and once the two guys were out of sight i krept out and found my aunt in this closet place and when i showed her the gun she gasped, and then the scene changed and the two guys were arrested and i was praised as the hero, and then i flew out of the buliding over this big pool because i got to fly as like a special agent power. and this guy at the pool was like "whoa did you see that!" and thats all i remember before i woke up.

hey i had this QL dream just last night that was interesting and i wanted to share it.

there was this old woman, and she was sitting at a table in some shop or resturant, or something, and the only thing i really remember was talking to the old woman and then the scene changed and this dude appeared with a gun and attacked the old woman, and she got covered in blood, she wasn't hurt but somehow she was still covered in blood. i think i remember calling Sam's name for help and then somehow the old woman got hold of the gun and pointed it at Sam. i was standing right in front of Sam, i dont know if i was talking to him or protecting him but he then lifted me up away from the gunpoint to protect me just as the old woman fired the gun and Sam took the bullet somehow in his back, or at least thats what i remember, and he fell to the ground uncontious and i embraced him sobbing:
"Sam, no...Sam!" and then Al appeared and when he saw Sam he breathed
"Oh god not agian!" you know, thinking about Leap Of Faith, and as he saw me contiune to sob, and i am guessing that he really believed, especially after Leap of Faith that God would never take Sam in such a manner, because he told me.
"Don't worry he's not dead, i know he's not, just call 911".
So i said that i would and then the old woman was sobbing beside me and she took me in a hug and sobbed:
"I'm So sorry!"
then the scenes jumped becasue all of sudden Sam was ok and the old woman was back at her table still covered in blood, and we talked some i think and then she just sorta died, you know like of old age, she just died and Sam muttered "oh (S-word)" and i think he crossed himself, and we were sad and i think Al said something about that was supposed to happen kinda like Josoph in Freedom. And then we leaped.

i just liked it for the Leap of Faith de ja vous feeling with Al, and i think i felt it too.

SamBeckettfann said:
hey i had this QL dream just last night that was interesting and i wanted to share it.

there was this old woman, and she was sitting at a table in some shop or resturant, or something, and the only thing i really remember was talking to the old woman and then the scene changed and this dude appeared with a gun and attacked the old woman, and she got covered in blood, she wasn't hurt but somehow she was still covered in blood. i think i remember calling Sam's name for help and then somehow the old woman got hold of the gun and pointed it at Sam. i was standing right in front of Sam, i dont know if i was talking to him or protecting him but he then lifted me up away from the gunpoint to protect me just as the old woman fired the gun and Sam took the bullet somehow in his back, or at least thats what i remember, and he fell to the ground uncontious and i embraced him sobbing:
"Sam, no...Sam!" and then Al appeared and when he saw Sam he breathed
"Oh god not agian!" you know, thinking about Leap Of Faith, and as he saw me contiune to sob, and i am guessing that he really believed, especially after Leap of Faith that God would never take Sam in such a manner, because he told me.
"Don't worry he's not dead, i know he's not, just call 911".
So i said that i would and then the old woman was sobbing beside me and she took me in a hug and sobbed:
"I'm So sorry!"
then the scenes jumped becasue all of sudden Sam was ok and the old woman was back at her table still covered in blood, and we talked some i think and then she just sorta died, you know like of old age, she just died and Sam muttered "oh (S-word)" and i think he crossed himself, and we were sad and i think Al said something about that was supposed to happen kinda like Josoph in Freedom. And then we leaped.

i just liked it for the Leap of Faith de ja vous feeling with Al, and i think i felt it too.

:hair:hair:hair Holy crap! I would've woken up crying hysterically if I had that dream!:hair:hair:hair

Samantha Beckett

Oh! Nifty! A dream thread. I like hearing about others' dreams; they can prove quite interesting. Amusing, at the very least. I hadn't had QL dreams for a long time, until this Christmas I got seasons 1-3 on DVD and basically had a QL binge before classes resumed. I had one dream where Al was the Leaper and Sam the Observer again, but I can't remember the details, only that Al was having problems with a gust of wind and Sam was suspended over a pit of lava. And I had another one not too long ago, after re-watching "Jimmy," in which Sam was once again Jimmy (in an episode known as the third one in the Jimmy trilogy) and Sam/Jimmy was living on his own with a mentally handicapped woman he loved. I don't know what Sam was there to do, but he was having problems doing it, because he was psycho-synergizing with Jimmy. Unfortunately, my alarm went off before I could see where this dream was going.

LadyKayoss said:
And I had another one not too long ago, after re-watching "Jimmy," in which Sam was once again Jimmy (in an episode known as the third one in the Jimmy trilogy) and Sam/Jimmy was living on his own with a mentally handicapped woman he loved. I don't know what Sam was there to do, but he was having problems doing it, because he was psycho-synergizing with Jimmy. Unfortunately, my alarm went off before I could see where this dream was going.

That sounds like it would make a good fan fic.

LadyKayoss said:
Oh! Nifty! A dream thread. I like hearing about others' dreams; they can prove quite interesting. Amusing, at the very least.

Then we have something in common, I like hearing about others' dreams too. Its the main reason why I started this topic really and I think QL dreams can be amusing when they want to. Its been many months since I've had a QL dream though, hopefully I will have one soon enough. I wish I could dream about experiencing the actual leap into a person, correcting something and leaping out again. Something I'd like to experience from the leaper's perspective. I have often wondered why they never shot footage of what its like from Sam's perspective, 1st person, on a leap in and out - I would have liked to have seen that. Maybe if the QLBLF ever gets made, they can show us this.

BlueSovereign said:
I have often wondered why they never shot footage of what its like from Sam's perspective, 1st person, on a leap in and out - I would have liked to have seen that. Maybe if the QLBLF ever gets made, they can show us this.

I know it's not exactly what you're talking about, but its been said that the "flying through the clouds" shots in Genesis are supposed to emualate what Sam goes thru while leaping. But I agree, it would be cool to see what its like from Sam's prespective. I just imagine its like falling asleep at night. You don't realize that you've done it until you wake up the next morning...it seems instantaneous.

Samantha Beckett

Samantha Beckett said:
I know it's not exactly what you're talking about, but its been said that the "flying through the clouds" shots in Genesis are supposed to emualate what Sam goes thru while leaping. But I agree, it would be cool to see what its like from Sam's prespective. I just imagine its like falling asleep at night. You don't realize that you've done it until you wake up the next morning...it seems instantaneous.

Samantha Beckett

Yes I remember that shot in Genesis and when I first watched the show I took that as what the first leap was like from Sam's POV. However, if this is taken as what happens whenever Sam leaps after the first then I can accept that. But it would be cool to see something like Sam's vision filling up with blue-white electrical energy and then something like him being pulled upwards and ito the sky. Then he is pulled through time and he may see something like a tunnel with lightning or something - speculative. After that he decends through the sky and into the next host. Blue-white electrical energy filling up his vision and tada ! Sam has leaped. The tunnel maybe instantanious for Sam, but to an outsider the transition may take anywhere from a few days to weeks depending on the leap. Just an idea there, if anyone else has any other's then please tell us - I'd like to hear 'em.

you know what i would like to see is Sam in the in between leap stages, that are sometimes described in the novels, where the voice of supposedly God or fate or time or whatever askinf Sam if hes ready to leap yet. that would be interesting to actually see on screen.

in fact i had a dream not to long ago about the episode 8 1/2 months. that Sam COULD'NT leap until he had the baby, like i think what happened is that there was the real scene where the doctor said his line
"i see a head of curls trying to come out little lady, push!"
and Sam pushed and then leaped, but strangely enough he leaped right back becasue he had to have the baby and i remember the second time he had to push he wiggled around uncomfortably. lol poor Sam.

and then it changed and i was the one having the baby and Sam was there holding my hand and saying "its going to be ok".
and then i saw the baby, it was a girl, and i held her, and Sam said something and she began to cry, not becasue of Sam of course but you get it.

hehe it was a cute dream, but probably my best one conerning Ql and not just Scott was about the leap back, and it occured before i even saw it. now its been so long since this tread has had life that i forget if i already posted this dream or not so if i did i am sorry. what happened was that i was in it, i was Sam's younger sister in place of katie (Yay) and i was suppose to be some kind of assistant observer alsong with Al, only now it was with Sam. now i had no idea that thier thoughts were going to be switched before i saw it so my idea that just so happened to appear in this dream was that Al would try to impress the young WWII man's girlfriend in the Al sort of way. so i was in the chamber by myself, i have no idea what Sam was doing, and i was watching Al actually doing a BAD job with this girl. he had been trying to give her a small boquet of flowers, and i don't know exactlly what had happened but they ended up on the floor, petels everywhere, and i moaned "Al, for goodness sake, you're making such a mess" or somehting along the lines as i actually bent down with a dustpan and was able to sweep the petels up despite that i was years away. then i opened the imaging chamber door and Al was able to simply step through back to the present world. before that however i remember Sam sorting out stuff that he had brought back from his leaps, things he had been given, and i distinctly remember Danna's gold braclet thing from her charm. i had said something to him but i forget what, i think it was about leaping agian. but skipping back ahead, once Al was back in the present world, i was happy and said "hey Sam, you're both bakc and ok, so i won't lose you agian Sam" but for some strange reason probably connecting to mirror image Sam wanted to go back out there despite there being no reason to. almost like he felt that he was not done. i got sad and ran off crying behind a couch, and eiather Sam or AL said something that i can not recall, and Sam followed me behind the couch which was quite narrow so he had to squeeze, ah and i remember he said "hey, it's me" and he touched my back but i did not acknowledge him. i turned away and he said "What, now you don't wanna talk to me" this made me turn to him, and i said a line about leaping bakc to the past was more important than me, and by this time he had gotten me out form the couch and he said "look at me, nothing is more important than you" the scene had not time to finish however becasue i awoke, but i found it interesting that depsite that Al was home leaving no appearnt reason for Sam to leap agian, he still wanted to.

elliemae said:
That sounds like it would make a good fan fic.

LOL... it could, but I'm drawing a blank on what I'd do with it. The dream didn't give me much, plot-wise.

I do actually get a lot of fan fiction ideas from dreams.

ok, so i had this interesting dream last night. this library was giving away free books, and i looked on one of the shelves and there was a small group of QL books, and i grabbed them. but then i was like
"Ah shoot, but this is a dream, so i am not really getting them". but i kept them anyway, and i was all disappointed lol. then i started talking to Sam, but he had my dad's voice and constantly cracked this lame jokes like my dad used to do, and i said "why do you seem so familiar, you're not Sam" and he said something about his heart i think, but using a Sam word, and i knew it was my dad i guess, in a way.
but i thought it was funny for the books cuz i was all disappiotned becasue it was a dream lol.

I had a QL dream a few nights ago that was really a nightmare. Sam saved my life tho, which was cool. Have yall ever had a dream that kinda starts in the middle? Like backstory has happened, but u dont experience it but remember it? Well, I was in the grociery hiding from these 2 psychopathic housewives. I had escaped from them, but they found me. They cornered me into an aisle with their shopping carts, and threw me up against the shelves. I asked, "Are you going to kill me?" and one of them pulls out this giant Alaskan Ulu knife and said, "no, something far worse. i'm going to but off all your skin!" So I struggle to get free and I finally do, and I run away down several aisles. I see Sam in one, I run to him and scream help. He puts me in a corner of the aisle and knocks out the psychos chasing me. I then run to him, shaking and crying, and then i woke up. It genuinely freaked me out!

Samantha Beckett

yay i am so happy, i had another dream last night, although it was kinda weird. i was Sam and DOnna's daughter, Chelsea(like the one my best friend and i have Donna pregnant with in our personal story). and it was sweet becasue i was attached to Sam, a lot, and he spend a lot of time holding me and telling me how much he loved me. i got lost at one point, like in town, but i did not call "mommy, daddy" i called "daddy, daddy" and then Sam showed up, and he had a beard, so that was kinda gross, but i did not respond to it in the dream. and Donna was with him so i ran to her first and hugged her but i was anxious to get to my daddy, cuz i really loved my daddy. there was another scene though where the daughter was sent to bed meaning i had ot have been someone else becasue i was still up and looking out a big window out at a beautiful lit city at night. oh and Sam was a celebrity as if he were Scott, almost, but he had to have been Sam becasue he was married to DOnna. although it was a dream so *shrug*.

but it was sweet. i wish i could have a dream like yours though Claire.

Samantha Beckett said:
Why? It scared the living crap out of me, lol. :lol

Samantha Beckett

yeah but i liked the Sam part, where he saved you and then hugged you when you were crying.
well ok he hugged me when i cried for my dad in the one dream when he kissed me and it was even better becasue it was Scott.
but i wanna dream where Sam saves me from something that would be cool and hopefully it would give me some good leap ideas.:angel

This is so cool, this is my second QL dream in a week. I'm getting sick, and whenver I am sick or getting that way, I always have fitful nights of sleep with very vivid dreams. The eventual QL dream was the end result of several little dreams that spawned others. Dream progresssion: I had a horse that had to be put down even though he wasnt sick or hurt and I was so angry and deressed...i'm harassed by Malfoy from Harry Potter about having my horse killed, who I then punch in anger (in my church's sanctuary no less)...i'm now in a Harry Potter video game...which then leads to...

I'm in the setting of the video game (its like a temple-like place with tunnels, plants, and rocks everywhere), and it's like a search part. Sam has come back from leaping and he went on an expedition to like Africa or Nepal or somewhere that has temples like that, lol. It's me, Al, and a few others, and I think I was one of Al's daughters. Sam was lost in the jungle and we were looking for him. Al was real paranoid for some reason, like he doesnt trust our guide. Our group got separated, and I was on my own when I find Sam, who's hurt. We go over to a tunnel opening but Sam falls to the ground and I call for Al (but I yell "Dean" for some reason LOL) who is across the temple. The rest is kind of vague...Al and the others run over and pick Sam up...then it goes to some sort of interview set in the temple with Al who says "we're escatic that we found him, we are now just worried about his health"...then I wake up. It was the best QL dream I've had. I hate getting sick, but if it gives me dreams like that...haha.

Samantha Beckett

I haven't had any noteworthy dreams lately, so I'll just comment on common themes. I can fly, but I have to give myself a boost. I interlace my fingers to give myself a foot-hold, step in, and pull myself into flight. I can see color, smell things, and taste things. I can use all five of my senses in dreams. I can read in dreams; I have read articles and books in dreams and awoken to remember what I have read. My most common dream theme is tornadoes. I am a storm spotter, and although I have never seen a tornado in person, I have dreamed about them plenty. I have felt the wind, the air pressure drop in my ears, the tiny bits of debris hitting my skin relentlessly. I have heard the rumble and hiss and scream of the wind in the funnel. I have looked up to see the inside of the funnel, with the debris swirling around a sort of eye in the middle. It is almost clear in the center, with dirt and dust in the vortex causing almost constant lightning to dance around the edges. I have felt the electricity in the air around the funnel. I have seen them from a distance, as well. Every time I see a tornado in a dream, I yell to myself or whoever's there, "I've always seen tornadoes in dreams, but never in real life. This is the first time." One day I will see one in person, and when I do, I'll find out if my dreams are accurate.

Al The Observer said:
I haven't had any noteworthy dreams lately, so I'll just comment on common themes. I can fly, but I have to give myself a boost. I interlace my fingers to give myself a foot-hold, step in, and pull myself into flight. I can see color, smell things, and taste things. I can use all five of my senses in dreams. I can read in dreams; I have read articles and books in dreams and awoken to remember what I have read. My most common dream theme is tornadoes. I am a storm spotter, and although I have never seen a tornado in person, I have dreamed about them plenty. I have felt the wind, the air pressure drop in my ears, the tiny bits of debris hitting my skin relentlessly. I have heard the rumble and hiss and scream of the wind in the funnel. I have looked up to see the inside of the funnel, with the debris swirling around a sort of eye in the middle. It is almost clear in the center, with dirt and dust in the vortex causing almost constant lightning to dance around the edges. I have felt the electricity in the air around the funnel. I have seen them from a distance, as well. Every time I see a tornado in a dream, I yell to myself or whoever's there, "I've always seen tornadoes in dreams, but never in real life. This is the first time." One day I will see one in person, and when I do, I'll find out if my dreams are accurate.
oh i can taste things too, and man is it ever so real! it makes me hungry when i wake up lol.
i can also see in color and smell things, and i can even swim in my dreams, whereas in real life i am still learning. in one of my dreams i was actually a brave daredevil too, i have a lot of cool dreams where i am brave.

oh and i forgot, there was this one Kiss with History dream i actually had once a while ago. Sam was this paino player who was very famous. he looked like an Elton John type of paino player, but he was not Elton John, he was some guy that used the nickname "Hot Chocolate" or something with the word "Chocolate" in it. now i don't remember too much except that these two kids hung out with him most of the time. they were about twelve, thirteen maybe. and i later found out that they were a kid Sonny and Cher. hehe.

I forgot about swimming. I learned to swim before I learned to walk, but the interesting thing about swimming in my dreams is I can breathe underwater. Or more precisely, breathe the water.

Al The Observer said:
I forgot about swimming. I learned to swim before I learned to walk, but the interesting thing about swimming in my dreams is I can breathe underwater. Or more precisely, breathe the water.

so can i.
and you are lucky you learned to swim so young, i wish i had.

My mother has always been afraid of deep water; she didn't learn to swim until later in life, so she made sure my brother and I learned very early on. For that, I will always be thankful.

my mom STILL can't swim, she's not much for the water. she tried having intrusters tech me but i was a coward as a kid.
i remember this one dream i had thoough where i was deep under the water and ws holding my breathe but then i said to myself "wait, i can breathe under here" i am ot sure if i was aware it was a dream or not, i might have been, but i slowly let my breath go and it was ok. hehe.

Last edited:
I don't remember my mother teaching me, but I remember her teaching my brother. She waited until he was old enough to hold his head up, and started out by walking around in waist deep water carrying him so he'd get used to it. Eventually, he learned to kick and flap and that later turned into swimming. I assume this is how I learned. My preference is to swim where I cannot touch the bottom with my head above water. Lakes and deep pools are great. Rivers are fun, too. You go under and then come back up somewhere else (downstream).

I love swimming in rivers! I swam in the Cahaba River last school year in my environmental science class, and I'm just waiting for my first born to have like a third eye or something, LOL!

Samantha Beckett

I took an overnight canoe trip down the Cahaba about ten years ago. In the water, there were bubbles that didn't pop! If we poked them, they would shatter. I elected not to swim that weekend.

I just had the cruelest dream the other night. I was watching TV, the Sci-Fi Channel, and they showed an advertisement for QL:BLF to air the following Wednesday. I was elated, and when I woke up, I began making plans to skip work that day so I could tape it, and I was happy enough that I was ready to jump out of bed and start the day bursting with energy (something I normally can't manage.) And then, it slowly began to sink in that I don't get the Sci-Fi Channel, and, therefore, there was no way I could have been watching said channel in my apartment. And I'd have heard about it online long before seeing an advertisement, anyway. I was very disappointed, to say the least...