View Single Post
Old 09-14-2013, 12:57 AM   #10
Lightning McQueenie
Junior Leaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Beckett Fan View Post
It's Scott's belief that Donna was aware of what she married into, that she understands that Sam is fulfilling a great purpose and therefore not hurt by his actions. He also seemed to disagree with Sam's being unable to act freely with the memory of her. That he would know that she understood and this that he wasn't hurting her.
Watch the 2012 Wizard World comic con Quantum Leap panel on youtube where Scott explains this to a questioner.
(NOTE: turn up your volume, the sound system at this panel was poor).

As for why she did not marry her first fiancee, there are a few possible reasons which all come down to there being no love there. Such as the explanation that the novel Mirror's Edge offered of it being someone her mother had set her up with.

This is a pretty amazing theory and I believe some part of me in a way also saw the finale leap as some part of his subconscious. How it is possible for Sam to leap into his own subconscious is still a question at least for me. Unless he was in fact, as had just come to mind the other day, in between leaps. Continuing the Wizard of Oz comparison, Dorothy had turned out to have been unconscious/comatose and it can be assumed that in between leaps Sam is in a way comatose which would explain how from his perspective the transfer from one leap to the next is instantaneous.

My mind is now putting together a new theory to explain Stawpah. He's been stuck in a time loop as he several times over fails and retries the same task and of all those familiar to Sam in this environment, the lives he needs to save are those of the Frank and Jimmy look-alikes who'd been trapped in a mine and drowned. In the end it was Sam who did it. Later after his final departure it is then suggested that Stawpah is Al's uncle.
So what does everything about Stawpah seem to be centered around? Al right? Jimmy had meant the most to Al and in this case would represent his sister Trudy.
So my new theory is that Stawpah is Al's damaged soul which would account for his crippled appearance (don't forget that after The Leap Back he actually has some of Al's mind) or perhaps Sam's regret from turning his back on the opportunity to restore Al's first marriage. Or a little of both. We see in one scene Sam is even brought to tears thinking back on the attempt he could have made with Beth and then remedies it at the end.
That's an amazing theory about Stawpah... In fact, now I think about it, was Stawpah's actor ever credited? He looked an awful lot like Al/Dean Stockwell. Did Dean Stockwell play Stawpah as well? The idea that Stawpah is the piece of Al that Sam absorbed is a good one, and you're right, it makes sense that Frank and Jimmy/Tonchi and Pete/Trudy would stick out in this leap, as it is a family that Sam had helped twice, and you're right, really hits home for Al. I can't see any fault in this logic at all