View Single Post
Old 01-01-2018, 06:29 PM   #30
Dman176
Waiting Room Visitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MO View Post
Was "Genesis" split? It wasn't in the new DVD set, but I haven't gotten to "LHO" yet.
No, the pilot is intact, thankfully (even though it's printed on the disc as "Genesis Part 1 & 2"). Even the beginning is the same, it doesn't actually use the "Genesis" title (which was only added in reruns). The only minor thing I noticed was a slightly different edit right after Sam leaps into the baseball player. I think in the original DVD, it shows Sam looking toward the crowd and then immediately cuts to the ball-boy approaching him to grab the ball he caught. In the blu-ray, there's an additional pan shot of Sam looking around, a "commercial-break" fade-out, and then Sam looking toward the crowd (I think this was how the syndicated version is edited). It's such a minor detail, though, even for someone like me, so it's not really a big deal because nothing is cut out.

I got suspicious with LHO because both parts were printed on the blu-ray disc separately as "Lee Harvey Oswald Part 1" and "Lee Harvey Oswald Part 2," which is why I checked it. Anyway, so far we've gone through Season 1 and the first episode of Season 2. Everything looks good so far. I have to agree that most of the episodes look better than I've ever seen them, so I have no other complaints. The last episode of Season 1 still leaps in to "What Price Gloria" even though the next episode chronologically is "Honeymoon Express," but as I commented over a decade ago (holy crap, has it been that long?), it makes sense to me to keep that intact because the saga sell still hadn't been fleshed out completely until Season 2. Plus, the leaping visual-effects for Season 1 look very different compared to later seasons. In syndication, it looks very jarring when you see Sam leap out at the end of "Play It Again, Seymour" and then the leap-in to "Honeymoon Express" is such an abrupt visual change, if that makes any sense. As for the leap-endings into repeat episodes, I haven't gotten that far yet. I assume they'll probably still be "out-of-sequence" as they were on the original DVD sets.

Damon

~Sometimes "That's the way it is" is the best explanation.
Dman176 is offline   Reply With Quote