Movie and TV moments!

Oh, man, there are so many. If I list them all, I'll never finish, but I'll just mention one movie and one show. Some spoilers for those who haven't seen these titles, so, be careful.

In "The Green Mile", when Paul (Tom Hanks), Harry and Brutus Howell take John Coffey to Melinda Moores's house so he can heal her with his powers. Intense and beautiful at the same time. There's another moment before that one, when Del gets electrocuted in the chair. Man, intense stuff! Everytime I watch that scene, I can feel the electricity, too.

As for a show, well, it's hard to choose, but I'll go for "Law & Order: Criminal Intent", when Robert Goren (D'onofrio's character) discovers that he has a Nemesis (Olivia d'Abo).

I know I said just one movie and one show, but I have to mention another one:

In "Law & Order: Special Victims Unit", when Robin Williams's character (a baddie, and masterfully played by him through the entire episode) escapes from Elliot and Olivia, the detectives in that show. But first he tests Elliot about being just another sheep. Elliot shows his thoughts and feelings and Robin's character says "and you, Elliot Stabler, are not a sheep, you ARE a Human Being." A big WOW!

You'll have to see these things to know what I'm talking about, of course.

I watched Who's the Boss? on reruns for all nine seasons, and I think the ending was memorable. Even though it was not what most fans were expecting (if you, the reader, have watched the show, then you know what I am referring to), but it was still memorable closure in its own way.

Spoiler alert 'Stardust'

As I've mentioned in the music thread - the trial scene from 'Dangerous Beauty' stands out for me.
Powerful acting, superb script, masterfully directed.
Very moving, and funny yet sad at the same time. Clever.
You really have to know the premise of the film to get the most from it, but I think most people with an appreciation for the craft could see even in isolation that is an amazing piece of movie making.
The poetry duel from earlier in the film is brilliant too!

I also love the bit towards the end of 'Stardust' when the hero goes back to the girl [Victoria?] he thought he loved.
"Never mind," she tells him when he fails to give her the star she sent him for, "You know what I really want."
"Yes," he replies, "you want to grow up and get over yourself!"
Classic.
When I saw it the whole audience erupted in a huge cheer at that. I love it when movie moments get a reaction like that.

As for TV -
the one that does it every time for me, even though I've now seen it dozens of times, is when Sam gets shot in the confessional in "Leap of Faith" and Al prays for him.
First time I saw it, I'd just heard the series had been cancelled,and thought they were actually killing Sam off, so the gasp as he fell with his head bleeding was genuine shock and horror and "Noooo, you can't kill Sam!"
Then to have Al echo the sentiment, and say how unfair it is - very moving.
As I said, the drama was not quite so intense on further viewings, since I knew Sam lived, but still, that heartfelt prayer from Al brings a lump to my throat every time.

There are others, but I leave it at that for now.

Another movies moments i'll mention are
1.The last 10 minutes of "The Butterfly effect". One of the best ending in a Sci-Fi movie ever,i think(well at least from those i've seen),and one of the best Sci-Fi film i've seen,overall.
2. The final Voice Over by old Paul Edgecomb in "The Green Mile" ("...but somtimes the green mile seems so long...). Great final speech,great movie.

I gotta admitt I'm tearing every time i'm seeing the aboves.

The film ending that always has me in tears is "Beaches" and
Wind Beneath my Wings is one of my favorite songs, both the film version and the gospel version.

Another movies moments i'll mention are
1.The last 10 minutes of "The Butterfly effect". One of the best ending in a Sci-Fi movie ever,i think(well at least from those i've seen),and one of the best Sci-Fi film i've seen,overall.

Which ending out of the 3 they shot for that film?

There were more then 1? really?! Tell me the 3 possible ending they considerd and i'll tell you which one they choose to put in the movie,because it's more then possible that they shot all 3 before picking one.

There were more then 1? really?! Tell me the 3 possible ending they considerd and i'll tell you which one they choose to put in the movie,because it's more then possible that they shot all 3 before picking one.

I was wrong when I said 3. There are actually 4 different endings.

There's the happy one, where he tells Kayleigh: "if you ever come near me again...", etc. This is the theatrical ending, but was not intended to be the original.

Then there's the original, which is the one where he goes back and kills himself in his mother's womb, implying that he never even existed, and that's what saves Kayleigh. I think this is the one they included on the DVD (the director's cut), but not on the TV version. The TV version always uses the happy one.

The third one is basically the happy ending, but in the final scene, when he sees Kayleigh on the street as a grown-up, he follows her instead of going the way he was supposed to go (kind of an open ending; this is known as the "Stalker" ending).

And the last one is a modified version of the third. The happiest of them all: Kayleigh and Evan cross each other on the street, they both stop, they turn around, they both look at each other, and Kayleigh asks him: "do I know you?", then they introduce themselves and he ends up asking her out for a cup of coffee or something like that. She accepts, smiling, and fade out.

So which one did you see?

Interesting that the butterfly effect gets a gong here.

There were 4 different endings made for this film, which I don't think are all on dvd???

I definitely like a moment in the twilight zone. Episode "I of newton".

Spoiler alert here everyone - sorry :(

When the maths teacher tells the demon to get lost.

I was wrong when I said 3. There are actually 4 different endings.

There's the happy one, where he tells Kayleigh: "if you ever come near me again...", etc. This is the theatrical ending, but was not intended to be the original.

Then there's the original, which is the one where he goes back and kills himself in his mother's womb, implying that he never even existed, and that's what saves Kayleigh. I think this is the one they included on the DVD (the director's cut), but not on the TV version. The TV version always uses the happy one.

The third one is basically the happy ending, but in the final scene, when he sees Kayleigh on the street as a grown-up, he follows her instead of going the way he was supposed to go (kind of an open ending; this is known as the "Stalker" ending).

And the last one is a modified version of the third. The happiest of them all: Kayleigh and Evan cross each other on the street, they both stop, they turn around, they both look at each other, and Kayleigh asks him: "do I know you?", then they introduce themselves and he ends up asking her out for a cup of coffee or something like that. She accepts, smiling, and fade out.

So which one did you see?

Well in what i've seen....it was a mix.
Spoiler Alert! (highlight to read)
The "happy" ending as you put it + a little changed "modified third". it ended after Evan went back to the first time they met and told her to stay away from him,or he'll kill her. then we see evan burning down all of his journals in the present and then - 10(?) years later he walk down the street talking in the phone with his mom,when he and kayleigh crossing paths, he stops but not turning around,she walks a few more steps. stops and turns around ,but she only seeing Evan back(he didn't turned around yet) trying to figure out why did he looks so familier(or something),but after a couples of seconds he's not turning around she wave it away and move away,only then Evan turns around and look at her back walking away. after a few seconds he turns around and walks away,too.
End.

Interesting that the butterfly effect gets a gong here.

There were 4 different endings made for this film, which I don't think are all on dvd???

I definitely like a moment in the twilight zone. Episode "I of newton".

Spoiler alert here everyone - sorry :(

When the maths teacher tells the demon to get lost.

That has to be one of my favorite TV moments too! So cleverly done.

Well in what i've seen....it was a mix. Spoiler Alert! [...]

No, this is actually the theatrical ending I was talking about (the "happy" one), but I didn't want to describe it all. The last two endings (the "Stalker" and "do I know you?" endings) are derivations of this one.

Ohh...and you really call it a "happy ending"?

Compared to the one where he goes all the way back to his mother's womb and strangles himself with the umbilical cord... yeah. Maybe it's not as happy as we, the audience, have been used to, but when it comes to "The Butterfly Effect", yes, it's as close to happy as it can be, especially when you consider the fact that the director wanted to use that other much sadder ending for the theatrical version as well.

Compared to the one where he goes all the way back to his mother's womb and strangles himself with the umbilical cord... yeah. Maybe it's not as happy as we, the audience, have been used to, but when it comes to "The Butterfly Effect", yes, it's as close to happy as it can be, especially when you consider the fact that the director wanted to use that other much sadder ending for the theatrical version as well.

Compared to the "Baby ending" maybe it consider to be a "happy ending" ,but considered to the "Cup of coffee ending" it's not a "happy ending".
Anyway, i'm glad they used the end they used in the theatre,cause IMO the "Baby ending" would have been way to ridiculous and surreal,or as i would call it "the easy way out". I'm sure,that if they would have used the director(s) ending my opinion on this film would be completely different.

Oh gosh, so many choices!

There's quite a few in Quantum Leap for my own personal reasons. I've shared my experiences in what the what QL means to you thread.

Swamp Thing is another one from the '80's. Especially when Swamp Thing uses his powers to bring dead people and creatures back to life. It really struck me as an amazing and compassionate thing to do. Ironically enough that show scared the daylights out of me as a kid. Hey, I was only seven or eight when it came out!

Star Trek: TNG definately. I think the biggest thing would be the equality shown and how everyone works together and the positive vision of the future.

As for movies, hmmm....

Like Leaper1 the trial scene in Dangerous Beauty always stuck with me. It was amazingly done.

In James Cameron's Titanic when the ship sinks I was crying. Not so much for Jack and Rose as I knew they were fictional but for what was happening to everyone else. While half the other girls at my High School were going "Oh, Jack!" I was shrieking "Look at that engine! Look at how it moves!"

The twist in The Sixth Sense and The Others caught me completely by surprise. While I don't remember too much about the movies I remember the twist as if it were yesterday.

If I remember any others I'll be sure to post them.

Strange, odd isn't it, I have so many too, but when it comes to listing them I draw a blank. There are certainly a lot of beautiful moments in Star Trek TNG. The Episode Inner Light had me cry a few times. Another great one is the Episode the Visitor from Star Trek DS9 can't say too much don't want to spoil anything, but it was a masterpiece from all points of view.

One of my all time favorites is
the end of Back to the Future II
"I'm back from the future!" :)

The twist in The Sixth Sense and The Others caught me completely by surprise. While I don't remember too much about the movies I remember the twist as if it were yesterday.

The Others surprised me, but The Sixth Sense I saw it coming almost from the start.

So many to say...

Well, when I was little, I used to watch Sailor Moon religiously (never did actually grow out of it:p) and I could watch the whole entire episode 43 of the earlier series (English version, the Americans didn't only just translate it from Japanese but they sort of got rid of a few bits and messed around with the series) over and over again (especially the part where Sailor Jupiter spitefully says, "I'll never forgive for what you've done" and destroyed this evil moster which looks like a giant cat).

What else...?

Strange, odd isn't it, I have so many too, but when it comes to listing them I draw a blank. There are certainly a lot of beautiful moments in Star Trek TNG. The Episode Inner Light had me cry a few times. Another great one is the Episode the Visitor from Star Trek DS9 can't say too much don't want to spoil anything, but it was a masterpiece from all points of view.

Oh yeah, "The Visitor" is still my all-time favorite episode of any Star Trek series. It was the first episode of any television series that actually made me cry. (The beautiful musical score helped, too.)

I'd have to add the episode "Company Man" from the first season of Heroes as one that also moved me to tears at the end, as well as a few episodes of Lost (particularly any episodes involving Desmond and Penny, like "The Constant").

Damon