View Single Post
Old 09-15-2013, 03:49 AM   #23
Lightning McQueenie
Junior Leaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Beckett Fan View Post
You are correct Dreams is the episode in which "Mind-merging" was first introduced as an effect on the memory but it has been suggested earlier such as in 8 1/2 Months and possibly in Private Dancer when Sam starts shakin' it on the dance floor and gets an expression that seems to ask "What the hell am I doing?" and then after telling the professional dance instructor that he doesn't dance.
Most of the time however it seems to occur when the situation is traumatic.

The question of whether he can lucidly tap into a leapee's memory/mindset is a fascinating one. We know hypnosis is one way, as you said.
In particular it would have been fascinating to explore if hypnosis could have solved the dilemma in Raped. To quote the magic 8 ball: "all signs point to yes". We actually see it almost fatally succeed in Dreams when the psychiatrist tried to get Sam to put a bullet into his own head. He had completely fallen into the mindset of 9 year old Jack Stone.
I must say however that the testimony scene in Raped is amazing. Dreams is a few leaps after so hypnosis wasn't yet introduced. Then there is the flaw with this angle that Sam would probably lose his connection with Al so there would be no one to say to password. Though perhaps the leap process would clear it mind of it.
But to lucidly conjure something from the leapee's mind whether it be a language or a memory is more in Medium/Psychic territory. For example if Tamlyn were a leap she may be able to. If it's even possible for Sam to have that kind of an ability he would probably have to train his mind to open up to plains beyond earth and sense.

The Oswald episode while extremely well written and amazingly performed by Scott made little sense to me other than being one of the leaps involving a public figure which was forced upon them by the network. Why would he have leaped throughout different periods of a guy's life who couldn't even have accomplished the task of saving Jackie Kennedy(which is proven when he leaps from Oswald into a secret service agent)?
There wasn't even really an explanation as to why the mind merging was at it's most powerful here. Or was there? It's not a favorite so I've only seen it the once.
Towards the beginning of the episode they stated that Oswald wasn't in his right mind, and his loose-neurons were affecting Sam because they were crossing with his own. To try to remedy this, they put Oswald in the accelerator and tried to leap Sam's neurons back to him, but that backfired and ended up sending even more of Oswald to Sam.

From what I gather, his leaps into Oswald weren't actually to put right a wrong (although we're expected to believe that Oswald didn't kill the guy who insulted him in the bar because of Sam), they were merely to gain information to try to solve the conspiracy. I think it's Gooshie who tells Al if he can't get through to Sam, just watch what happens, because then they can at least document it. It wasn't until Sam leapt into the Secret Service Agent that he was put in a position where he could save John and Jackie (though ultimately only Jackie).

Some more interesting trivia about LHO - we see in that episode that at the Project they have fixed the handlink that Al killed in the Great Spontini, because we see Gooshie using it

Also, it appears that the LHO episode breaks the QL-Universe rules, because when Sam leaps out of Oswald to the Secret Service Agent, Al stays where he is and watches the assassination. We know from Genesis that Sam's leaping takes time, and we also find out in Mirror Image that when Sam leaps, Al just ends up back in the Imaging Chamber (or rather, the hologram around him in the Imaging Chamber fades and it looks like he's in the Imaging Chamber). So Al should not have been able to watch it. Although, I suppose since all that Sam did was travel in space, as it doesn't appear that any time passes between him switching from Oswald to the Secret Service Agent, that the leap could have been considered instantaneous as it happened in real time (i.e. no time skipping), and so maybe Al could have kept the connection that way...

As for the question if Sam could be put under hypnosis to gain the leapee's memories, he clearly could, but you're right about losing the connection with Al. So it would actually have to be someone in Sam's time hypnotising and unhypnotising him. But that would mean he'd have to either be with someone who knew he was really Sam, or convince someone he's not really the leapee. This is why I would think Sam would prefer to be able to train himself to see into the leapee's mind. It would probably take a great deal of concentration and meditation, and probably the closing off of his own mind and emotions. With Sam such an emotional and passionate person though, I'd say this would be quite difficult for him, especially if in a situation where he is under a lot of pressure (as he probably would be if he needs some knowledge of the leapee anyway).