B**giemen episode and Season 2.

BlueSovereign

Project QL Intern
Oct 30, 2005
UK
I watched this episode for the first time today. I must say, it made me shiver when the devil appeared and told Sam how he dare put right what he made wrong. When Sam woke up after falling back at the start of the episode and told Al and co I thought it had been a dream when he was unconcious, but clearly it wasn't because he saved that old guy from falling. I really enjoyed it and I can't wait to get Season 3 on DVD in December. I understand that this episode is the first in the "evil leaper" episodes - which I have yet to see. A friend told me that in one of them the handlink malfunctions and Al has to give it a long good bashing which I was told to watch out for amusement. It is funny though that I missed all these episodes in original airing and had to let my friends tell me about them when I had seen all the others. Weird, eh ?

I got UK Season 2 today and have watched the first disk already. Its interesting to see the series building up again with the little tidbits of information about the characters of the show being introduced in selected episodes. I think this set will keep me busy until the next set is released, that or until the new year.

Boogie...

Glad you enjoyed "The Boogiem*n". Did the twist-in-the-end surprised you?

This maybe can be considered as the first Evil Leaper episode, yeah... If you haven't seen them, oh, you'll love 'em when you do. They're until 5th season, but it's worth the waiting.

Censored

Samantha_Beckett said:
I've been wondering this for a while as I have been around this site why "B**giman" is "censored". Why the asterisks?

Samantha Beckett

It is rather like the actors superstition about not naming "the Scottish Play" (M*cbeth). It is considered unlucky to mention the title of this episode.
Rumor has it that all sorts of weird things happened when they filmed it, and when it airs, there are more than average power cuts etc.
Spooky, coincidental, or just hype for ratings? Who knows? But most folks don't like to tempt fate.

That was a pretty freaky episode that one. I remember it gave me the willies as a kid. I never saw Dean Stockwell in the same light again after that one!

Sauron said:
Glad you enjoyed "The Boogiem*n". Did the twist-in-the-end surprised you?

This maybe can be considered as the first Evil Leaper episode, yeah... If you haven't seen them, oh, you'll love 'em when you do. They're until 5th season, but it's worth the waiting.

The twist really did suprise me, scared me really with the way the devil took Al's form and he had that spooked out and nasty look in his face and eyes. Dean played that part well because the whole character came across as really nasty and frightening. If I had seen this episode in first airing when I still in school, I think it would have played on my mind for ages. I liked the way Sam managed to save the guy fixing the window though. To me this was indicating that maybe this was his second leap into the episode back into the start because I want to dismiss the episode as a dream and think of it more as a first leap that did not work out right. I think this now because I have had a chance to sleep on it and I usually get ideas like this the day after.

Looks like I have quite some time to wait until Season 5 to see the rest of the "Evil leaper" episodes, but I know I am going to enjoy seeing all the others again since I'm halfway through disk 2 of Season 2 now.

BlueSovereign said:
The twist really did suprise me, scared me really with the way the devil took Al's form and he had that spooked out and nasty look in his face and eyes. Dean played that part well because the whole character came across as really nasty and frightening. If I had seen this episode in first airing when I still in school, I think it would have played on my mind for ages. I liked the way Sam managed to save the guy fixing the window though. To me this was indicating that maybe this was his second leap into the episode back into the start because I want to dismiss the episode as a dream and think of it more as a first leap that did not work out right. I think this now because I have had a chance to sleep on it and I usually get ideas like this the day after.

Looks like I have quite some time to wait until Season 5 to see the rest of the "Evil leaper" episodes, but I know I am going to enjoy seeing all the others again since I'm halfway through disk 2 of Season 2 now.

Well, if you get the Sci-fi channel, they are playing the 5th season and the "Return of the Evil Leaper" eps are coming withing a few days. You can catch them now! :D

Samantha Beckett

Samantha_Beckett said:
Well, if you get the Sci-fi channel, they are playing the 5th season and the "Return of the Evil Leaper" eps are coming withing a few days. You can catch them now! :D

Samantha Beckett

God, I wish I did have the Sci-fi channel. I don't have Sky so I can't receive it I'm afraid. I have Freeview though and I am keeping my eye open on the extra channels for repeats but something tells me to wait until I get the last Season on DVD. Thanks anyway !

BlueSovereign said:
God, I wish I did have the Sci-fi channel. I don't have Sky so I can't receive it I'm afraid. I have Freeview though and I am keeping my eye open on the extra channels for repeats but something tells me to wait until I get the last Season on DVD. Thanks anyway !

:):) You must live in Europe or something because I have no idea what you are talking about with Sky and Freeview. Sorry about not having Sci-fi tho, I would hate not having that. Do you have any sort of station that plays QL on re-runs, or are you just watching them on ur DVDs?

Samantha Beckett

Samantha_Beckett said:
:):) You must live in Europe or something because I have no idea what you are talking about with Sky and Freeview. Sorry about not having Sci-fi tho, I would hate not having that. Do you have any sort of station that plays QL on re-runs, or are you just watching them on ur DVDs?

Samantha Beckett

That's true, I do live in Europe - the UK really. Sky is a digital satellite TV company that offers different paid for subscription packages that include the sci-fi channel. Although I have had the service in the past, it is expensive and there are just too many channels to watch - and they are good channels too.

We also have the standard 5 TV channels that everyone can watch that are included in our TV license and Quantum Leap (as well as many other sci-fi shows) were shown on BBC2 over the years in various runs and re-runs. These shows aren't repeated anymore unfortunately.

Freeview is a service whereby (like Sky) you buy a digital box that sits on-top of your TV to give you extra channels and unlike Sky, these are free. Although not as good in terms of content, Freeview extended the range of channels you can receive and although there are themed channels available, there is no sc-fi themed channel out yet so I miss out. They are adding new channels every now and then, so I will keep my fingers crossed.

To answer the last part of your question, I am aquiring the QL DVD's because I loved the show such much when it was being shown on BBC2. I used to tape every episode until I ran out of blank tapes and I could not afford any more. Way back then I sort of promised myself that I would buy the series if they ever released them on a disk format since VHS tapes could be chewed up etc and I had a feeling that they would be replaced with something else . Lucky for me and everyone else, they have >D.

BlueSovereign said:
I watched this episode for the first time today. I must say, it made me shiver when the devil appeared and told Sam how he dare put right what he made wrong. When Sam woke up after falling back at the start of the episode and told Al and co I thought it had been a dream when he was unconcious, but clearly it wasn't because he saved that old guy from falling. I really enjoyed it and I can't wait to get Season 3 on DVD in December. I understand that this episode is the first in the "evil leaper" episodes - which I have yet to see.

I've also just seen this episode for the first time. However, to me it is quite clear that the episode is largely a dream. Remember that the real Al also doesn't remember anything (and as a hologram from the future he can't be influenced very much). The fact that he saved the old man has to do with a feeling of deja vu (from the dream).

The real "Evil Leapers" episodes in Season 5 have nothing to do with this episode.

Grimlock said:
The real "Evil Leapers" episodes in Season 5 have nothing to do with this episode.

I can see that now but back when I watched it I thought that red light that appeared when the devil took Al's form was an evil leap effect, but it had no stream effects so it clearly was not a leap just a transformation which I just checked by watching it again. I am interested to see the "Evil leaper" episodes though but I may have a long wait until I do.

unfortunatly, i missed the fun, i knew it was the devil the whole time becasue another, long distance friend told my best friend and her sister about it and then since ithe secret was out anyway she let me see the episode guide for it here on Al's place, marking this as my first discovery of Al's place. so yeah, i missed all the fun, becasue i knew the ending but not in purpose mind you.

i also heard about the weird mishapps when filming and aring this episode, and my best friend and i were so creeped out that we watched it for the first time on her computer as to not risk having her DVD player scewed up by the curse, hehe.

SamBeckettfann said:
i also heard about the weird mishapps when filming and aring this episode, and my best friend and i were so creeped out that we watched it for the first time on her computer as to not risk having her DVD player scewed up by the curse, hehe.

I was concerned about watching it on my PC and out of the two I would prefer to have risked the DVD player than my PC since its playing up a little these days. I guess some would be feeling concerned when playing their 3rd season DVD's that contains this episode.

My sister first saw this episode when she was only about 3 years old - she hadn't even started primary school. It was so funny - she picked up on all the signs that Al wasn't himself and was scared sh*tless at the ending.

naggindragon said:
My sister first saw this episode when she was only about 3 years old - she hadn't even started primary school. It was so funny - she picked up on all the signs that Al wasn't himself and was scared sh*tless at the ending.

The first time I watched it was at night time and that weird sound that was playing when the devil appeared added to the scareness for me. The way he was staring like that was just freaky.

BlueSovereign said:
The first time I watched it was at night time and that weird sound that was playing when the devil appeared added to the scareness for me. The way he was staring like that was just freaky.

Yeah, the first time I saw it was pretty recently when it was on Sci-fi at 1am. Plus, it was around Halloween anyway so I was already kinda hyped up on that, so the freak out from me was like tripled. Thats such a great ep.

Samantha Beckett

Samantha_Beckett said:
Yeah, the first time I saw it was pretty recently when it was on Sci-fi at 1am. Plus, it was around Halloween anyway so I was already kinda hyped up on that, so the freak out from me was like tripled. Thats such a great ep.

Samantha Beckett

man now i feel left out, cuz like i said a friend ruined it for me and my best friend, Claire, my Nathen was the one, he told Kristen's little sister about it from reading it here, and then she told Kristen, who told me, this was a little before season three aired on DVD, so she and i missed out on all the great fun.

ot thank my friend Nathen:moon
thanks a lot.:p lol.

Grimlock said:
I've also just seen this episode for the first time. However, to me it is quite clear that the episode is largely a dream. Remember that the real Al also doesn't remember anything (and as a hologram from the future he can't be influenced very much). The fact that he saved the old man has to do with a feeling of deja vu (from the dream).

Hello everyone - this is my first post. This seems like a most pleasant messageboard. I have had my love of QL stoked by the recent DVD releases. Currently on Season Three (and though I can remember bits of lots of episodes it's great seeing them all again and in the proper order etc!)

My mrs and I watched the Halloween one last night (I remembered there was a twist but not re Al). Loved it. A few thoughts:

1. Throughout this episode the DVD pause button would not work (but it does on other episodes on the disc) :hair

2. Both me and my other half are ill and off work today. (coincidence - surely not!)

3. I invite further thoughts as to whether this was a "dream" or not from the point that Sam falls down to when he "wakes up" at the end of the episode. I am not sure.. It seems that the Al that appears through the imaging chamber door at the point that sam is confronting the devil is not the "real Al", as the Al at the end does not have any memory of there being two of him. So who was this Al who tells Sam to "hang on". perhaps GFTW protecting him from the clutches of the devil??

It seems odd that it just be a dream - as it was too real and the events that allowed him to save Tully too exact. An alternate leap of some sort controlled by the devil? if so then although this is not technically an evil leaper episode it is at least the first indication that there is a force out there which wants to stop Sam (and eventually controls the evil leaper project?)

Grateful for any thoughts. Pleased to meet you all.:)

Welcome to the board.

I have never had anything strange happen while watching the episode in question. And my thoughts are that everything Sam experienced, really happened.

Maybe the reason Al didn't remember is that The Devil Al didn't want any evidence. So he made it so Al maybe ever Ziggy didn't remember anything.

Pangster said:
An alternate leap of some sort controlled by the devil? if so then although this is not technically an evil leaper episode it is at least the first indication that there is a force out there which wants to stop Sam (and eventually controls the evil leaper project?)

My belief is that what happened to Sam was an alternate leap (I had that thought too) that actually happened, but for some reason was re-set to the start of the leap for the second time without Al remembering anything. Its a great idea though as to why Sam is correcting people's lives in the first place because the devil is screwing them up in the first place.

As for the devil controlling that alternative leap, I could buy that as an explanation as to why it happened in the first place. Maybe it was GFTW that reset the leap because something really bad screwed it up the first time.

I don't believe that it was a dream but a look into the opposite force to the one that is leaping Sam around. One that is obviously angry at Sam for correcting them wrongs.

As for the evil leaper project being controlled by the force we saw in this episode I think is prehaps a prequel to them evil leaper eps even though there are no references made to this B*ogimen episodes later on as to why the Evil Leaper project is there in the first place. Why would a bunch of humans want to put things wrong for others ?

No, something really bad pulled the evil leaper project together to screw up Sam's leaps in my opinion. But others may feel different, I would be interesting to hear their take on these things.

Thanks for the welcomes and thoughts. I pretty much agree with your thoughts BlueSov. On reflection I think the Al that appeared at the end of the original leap (not devil Al) was actually Al - but as you say the leap was somehow reset, wiping Al's memory of the encounter.

Pangster said:
Thanks for the welcomes and thoughts. I pretty much agree with your thoughts BlueSov. On reflection I think the Al that appeared at the end of the original leap (not devil Al) was actually Al - but as you say the leap was somehow reset, wiping Al's memory of the encounter.

Oh I forgot and erm welcome to the board !

Its a great place here BTW.

I also think that after the reset when Sam saved that guy from falling he knew that he had to do that because he failed the first time, Al did not manage to inform Sam of what he was supposed to do and yet the first time round gave him that insight. I never thought it was a dream because of this as things were playing out the same way up until he saved the guy.

On a side note, maybe there is good reason why some people experience deja-vu in their lifetimes. I have experienced it a handful of times and the feeling is a strong sensation that you have either been to a certain place before or been through events before even though you haven't and its your first time.

I used to think about the oscillating universe theory and its cycle of creation-destruction-creation ala Big Bang-Big Crunch-Big Bang scenario of an infinate cycle of existence. That maybe each time the universe is recreated we go through the same events again and again or more likely that we go through some of the events again and that is why we have deja-vu because some of this if not all of this has happened before and its our minds remembering the events from the previous time around as they are happening this time. Maybe each time around everything works out slightly differently not just in nature but maybe people make different choices as they have strong feelings of what is the right choice this time because last time the choice he or she made was wrong.

I think you could see this differently as seeing the timeline of the universe and its events on a tape that loops back to the beginning of time when the end of time is reached. At the beginning of time the universe is created, plays through for billions of years and then when the universe ends (in whatever way i.e. big-crunch, big-rip, big-freeze) time begins again and then the tape is played from the start.

To fit this into Quantum Leap its like each time the universe plays out Sam will leap into Tom Stratton and change history thus creating an alternative timeline that rides alogside the original each time around and that whatever happens to Sam when he "dies" he will die in an alternative timeline because he's changed history. On the other hand the next time around, things may happen differently, maybe Tom Stratton won't die and Sam may not leap or leap into another life to change for the better. Maybe the funding for the project gets cut or Sam never meets Al. All the things that could happen differently probably does so in alternative timelines and I guess its our choices and those of others that drives us down one road or the other. Maybe we are making history as we are going along and things are happening because its all being decided by people and not some ride that we are all passive towards. Food for thought ?

Regarding the Leap "reset" I thought that was a nice tie-in to a theological concept. As many of you know, I firmly believe that God is Leaping Sam around. the B-Man episode as well as "It's a Wonderful Leap" both reinforce this for me.

Also, as God and the devil are not equals, while the devil has free rein to muck around and try to cause problems, God is stronger, and thus can "reset" the Leap.

It's also interesting considering in MIA Sam said he doesn't believe in the devil.

And....for Claire....whom I know is also familiar with this song, this Veggie Tales song from "Where Is God When I'm Scared?" strikes sooo applicable to discussion of the B-man ep (all references to the B-man are edited for spelling for the superstitious <g>):

"God is Bigger"

Bob: You were lying in your bed
You were feeling kind of sleepy
But you couldn't close your eyes because the room was getting creepy.
Larry: Were those eyeballs in the closet?
Was that Godzilla in the hall?

Bob: There was something big and hairy casting shadows on the wall.
Now your heart is beating like a drum
Your skin is getting clammy.
There's a hundred tiny monsters jumping right into your jammies!

Bob: What are going to do?
Junior: I'm going to call the police!
Bob: No! You don't need to do anything!
Junior: What? Why?
Bob: Because ...

Bob: God is bigger than the boogey man
He's bigger than Godzilla, or the monsters on TV
Oh, God is bigger than the boogey man
And He's watching out for you and me.

Junior: So, when I'm lying in my bed
And the furniture starts creeping
I'll just laugh and say, "Hey, cut that out!"
And get back to my sleeping
'Cause I know that God's the biggest
And He's watching all the while.
So, when I get scared I'll think of Him
And close my eyes and smile!

All: God is bigger than the boogey man

Monster #1: So, are you frightened?
Junior: No, not really.
Monster #2: Are you worried?
Junior: Not a bit.
I know what ever's gonna happen,
That God can handle it.

Frankencelery: I'm sorry that I scared you when you saw me on TV.

Junior: Well that's okay,
'Cuz now I know that God is taking care of me!

Junior: One more time!

Monster #1: Watchin' ...
Monster #2: Watchin' ...
Monster #3: Watchin' ...
Junior: Out for you and me! Yeah

BobLarryJunior.jpg

(couldn't resist)

Samantha_Beckett said:
Haha Jennie! *starts humming "Oh Where is my Hairbrush?"*

Samantha Beckett

"Shocked and slightly embarrassed by the sight of Larry in a towel...." <wg>

"OhwhereohwhereohwhereohwhereohwhereohwhereohWHEEEEEERRRRRREEE...is my hairbrush?"

McDuck said:
Regarding the Leap "reset" I thought that was a nice tie-in to a theological concept. As many of you know, I firmly believe that God is Leaping Sam around. the B-Man episode as well as "It's a Wonderful Leap" both reinforce this for me.

Also, as God and the devil are not equals, while the devil has free rein to muck around and try to cause problems, God is stronger, and thus can "reset" the Leap.

The leap "reset" idea came to me the other day and I also believe that it is God leaping Sam around too. I know in "Mirror Image" that the bartender tells Sam that he controls the leaps, its just that he's not conciously aware of it. Maybe God is giving his sub-concious a hand in leaping maybe. For some reason I find it hard to believe that Sam is doing the leaping all on his own - he is human afterall. The only other explanation is that maybe he is an Angel incarnated into a human perhaps ? But that is even harder to believe than Sam leaping himself around unless of course the leaping had something to do with the fact that he is a genius, maybe his mind works out where to leap to but I still think he'd need a hand from the big guy upstairs :).

Al's Handlink said:
Welcome to the board.

I have never had anything strange happen while watching the episode in question. And my thoughts are that everything Sam experienced, really happened.

Maybe the reason Al didn't remember is that The Devil Al didn't want any evidence. So he made it so Al maybe ever Ziggy didn't remember anything.

Sorry, but i don't buy it. You have to remember that Al is NOT THERE (he is in the future). I can buy the fact that there might be a devil controlling the time and place that Sam had leapt into, but the far and distant future? Uhhmmm..no!

My version would be that the mind of Sam and the person he leapt into became mixed with eachother (because of the fall) and Sam had HIS dream and fantasies.

Besides, it's never explained why he only had to save Tulley the second time around (if you presume that the whole episode was about what originally DID happen in the original history........seeing how Sam failed the first time round). Otherwise, Al would have also mentioned the other deaths.

Grimlock said:
Sorry, but i don't buy it. You have to remember that Al is NOT THERE (he is in the future). I can buy the fact that there might be a devil controlling the time and place that Sam had leapt into, but the far and distant future? Uhhmmm..no!

My version would be that the mind of Sam and the person he leapt into became mixed with eachother (because of the fall) and Sam had HIS dream and fantasies.

Besides, it's never explained why he only had to save Tulley the second time around (if you presume that the whole episode was about what originally DID happen in the original history........seeing how Sam failed the first time round). Otherwise, Al would have also mentioned the other deaths.

Well, going off your reasoning (which I think differently about), here's an idea/theory to bounce off you. If it was the leapee's dream and/or fantasy, why would the leapee have a dream about Tulley dying in reality? Was it a premonition or something? Plus, Sam's failing of saving Tulley could have spurned all the other deaths, so it would be logical that if Sam saved Tulley, all the others would be spared. That's why Sam was there....to save them all my saving Tulley. (Also, Al didn't have a change to tell Sam about the other deaths because Sam tore out of the room before he could)

Okay, so devil's advocate time.

I personally believe the whole "God is leaping him, the leap was reset" thing. That being the case, Sam was shown what would go down (in a more dramatic, apocalyptic way). So when Al said "save Tulley--", Sam knew immediately where he was and what to do since he already "saw" it happen. That's my thinking...

Samantha Beckett