Australian Leapers

Bexter

Project QL Intern
Mar 13, 2007
Western Australia
www.myspace.com
Since there are so many of us I thought it might be good to start a thread where we can share any information that may be helpful to each other

in case any of you don't know, virgin are offering flights from Sydney to LA for under $1000 it may be worth while to fly to sydney on a cheap jetstar flight and then catch a plane for there. Under VAustralia, Virgins Australian international arm (which only started this week i think)

But of course the most important question of all is not how are we going to get there its...... who's going to bring the vegemite.:roflmao:

No Problem Marc, I'm already planning many and varied ways i can inflict vegemite (and promite) onto our fellow non-aussie leapers. The reactions are so 'funniest home video' worthy. So If I were you I'd be on alert!!

Back to aussie stuff: Another thing I'm planning to do is try and get some travellers cheques now into US currency as the exchange rate is so good, but not too many as it may get better, but not hugely better I don't think. I don't think our $ would end up being more that $1 against the US $1, but if someone thinks otherwise please say so!!

Marissa here from the suburbs of Sydney.

I have been saving for this event since 2006, and I was definately not going to go all the way to L.A. and not get Diamond seating. I am so excited - I got a front row seat!

Anyway, now I don't know whether to keep collecting frequent flyer points or to go with Virgin for $1000. I wonder if they feed you? One good thing is I don't have to add on the extra cost of getting to Sydney.

I can't wait to meet up with the other Aussies as well as Mike from Auckland.

Hi Marissa, apparently the $1000 deal was just a one off and they are going to be a bit more expensive than that, but keep collecting frequent flyers even if you do go virgin, you can probably use them for something else, maybe accomodation? I just figured out I can use my altitude rewards to fly to and from sydney, which means my only airfair expense is the trip to LA.

Sorry but it's a long way off to lock in an airfare deal right now. Rates change so often during various seasons I can't see anyone booking flights now. It could be drastically cheaper early next year and as a seasoned traveller <insert heroic music here>, I don't plan to even search for my airfare until January 2009. I booked tickest for my Germany show (April 18th) at the end of February and got a fantastic rate, despite the economy.

I wouldn't wait until two months before the con though--I missed out on the best flight connections and fares last year when I went to Taos, and I bought 3 months in advance. The better flights were already booked up. I'm afraid that with fuel costs the way they are, prices will only go up. But maybe the deals are better going to a major airport like LAX.

Actually I don't know what its like for eastern states people, but here in WA, due to not a great deal of choice, you book the minute you know what dates you want to travel as he who hesitates is lost.......... or stuck in Sydney without a connecting flight.

No Way! I just read your signature Bex. I watched most of the Idol Gives Back thing last night but I didn't know there was an elimination. How are the likes of Kristy-Lee Cook and Jason Castro still in???? They are the two most boring singers in the competition.

I really thought Michael Johns was going to be one of the top two with David Cook. Open the phones lines to Australia, I know there is only 20 million of us compared to 300+ million in the US but I am sure our votes would have helped.

Commiserations to Michael Johns our "Australian Idol".

Hi guys, one more mad Aussie has just signed up, from Geelong in Victoria.
So how many does that make? I made a lightning decision on Monday, having got wind of an almost half-price airfare. I've got 10 weeks to worry about where the rest is coming from, and hope that our lousy dollar rises from the pits. It's worth going to the ends of the earth to see Scotto...I met him at Star Trek's 40th. in 2006 and he's awesome (but we all knew that anyway):angel

Welcome Aussietrekker - there are quite a few from Victoria going to the convention, one from WA and one from NSW as far as I know.

Can't wait to meet all the other Aussies. Got the privilege to meet Bexter the other week, decided to go for a 9 day drive to Perth and back from Sydney and took the opportunity to visit with her. Thanks again Bexter, I had a great time.

Welcome Aussietrekker - there are quite a few from Victoria going to the convention, one from WA and one from NSW as far as I know.

Can't wait to meet all the other Aussies. Got the privilege to meet Bexter the other week, decided to go for a 9 day drive to Perth and back from Sydney and took the opportunity to visit with her. Thanks again Bexter, I had a great time.

That's all excellent news. It's good that you could buddy up with Bexter before you leave.

Aussies

Hey Guys,

My Girlf riend (Zoe) and I (Brad) are attending, we are from Melbourne.

We will be staying at the Beverley Garland Hotel the whole week as we are staying in the US for two months and travelling around the US.

We will be heading to a few theme parks and just relaxing by the pool before the Con, we have second row seats.

We have never been to a convention before, a little unsure what to expect but we are also deciding if we will dress up at the Saturday Night party.

We look forward to meeting you all, and having a blast. Cant believe it is so close now!

I just read there are installing a new spa and bar at the pool, which will be done before the convention.

Brad and Zoe

Hey Guys,

My Girlf riend (Zoe) and I (Brad) are attending, we are from Melbourne.

We will be staying at the Beverley Garland Hotel the whole week as we are staying in the US for two months and travelling around the US.

We will be heading to a few theme parks and just relaxing by the pool before the Con, we have second row seats.

We have never been to a convention before, a little unsure what to expect but we are also deciding if we will dress up at the Saturday Night party.

We look forward to meeting you all, and having a blast. Cant believe it is so close now!

I just read there are installing a new spa and bar at the pool, which will be done before the convention.

Brad and Zoe

Hey everyone!

Im from melbourne too - I scored the cheap flights with virgin which was fab!

I'll be arriving on the 25th and attending the bowling party - cant wait.

So how many aussies thus far??

LuvJOJO

Melbourne meetup before con

G'day Purple Rose, I'm just down the road from you in Geelong.
I just thought it might be an idea if all us Melbourne people met up for drinks or something, and make First Contact before we leave. Just send me a PM if anyone's interested.

Hi Marissa from the suburbs of Sydney and from what suburb are you from?
I'm Marcella from the suburb of Beverley Park (close to Brighton Le Sands,Sydney)
lovely to know there are a few other aussies going to the con too. Yup in a month I'm leaving for LA, flying VAustralia, having a week's hol with anor Leaper (from europe) and then off to the con. Would be fun to be bumping into other aussies at the con, our accent is so noticeable over in the States.
What row are you in Marissa? Im in center aisle row 9 :-(
but def better than not going, which I thought I wouldn't be. Its pretty sad that our $ isn't as good as what it was last year.
looking forward to meeting other aussie leapers

Last edited:
Yay I thought I was the only one from NSW going to the con which really surprised me. I live in Riverstone that is in the western suburbs on the yellow trainline between Blacktown and Windsor.

I leave 2 weeks today and I still haven't fully planned everything and I have this feeling I'm not going to. Looks like I am in for an adventure and a big surprise.

My seat is A21, and I am not giving it up for the world. Thankfully I purchased my ticket and other things when the aussie dollar was a bit healthier. I seem to always travel to the states when the $ is worth between 50 and 65 cents!

I just read the post from Brian that says there is 11 aussies attending the con. We all need to get together and do something aussie like have a BBQ while we are in LA.

Can't wait to meet you.