QL on Top Sci-Fi List

Snish

Project QL Intern
Sep 10, 2006
Cocono's in the Poconos
Entertainment Weekly has compiled a list of the top sci-fi shows and movies over the past 25 years. See where Quantum Leap falls:

http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,20036782_20037403_20037541_4,00.html

One statement in the listing made me laugh out loud:

"The premise was uncomplicated"

WHAT?? I'd nominate QL for "Most Complicated Concept in TV Series History"!

I admit I haven't looked at the whole list--each entry is on a separate page, and either my computer is too slow or my attention span is too short, but I just can't sit here downloading each page. :)
I just thought folks might be interested.

That's a pretty good list. It's impressive that Quantum Leap is even on there at all when being grouped together with Back To the Future, E.T., The Terminator, etc. I'm surprised Lost is on there, because I would not expect that to be sci-fi, but I also never watched it, so...

at least they were kind to scott. usually they pan him. also, yes, i remember people did mention that ql did mainstream scifi, but then it was completely overtaken by the sitcom junk. until titus, i layed off tv for awhile. then, now i have my dirty jobs and i'm a happy girl!

Janna Galaxy said:
Sometimes, I've noticed that sci-fi and cult get kinda mixed up or confused as the same thing.

Yes, it seems to be hard to define what's sci-fi and what's not, or people are careless about it. If you try to make a separate category for fantasy, the lines between them blur. I think of QL as more fantasy than sci-fi because the "science" is so sketchy or unrealistic--but that goes for most any sci-fi TV show or movie. So the only thing I can think of to divide them is "sci-fi includes technology that we don't have." So QL is clearly sci-fi, and Buffy the Vampire Slayer is clearly not... except that Buffy had a plot line about cyborgs... uh oh... :)

So, anyway, how would you define science fiction as opposed to fantasy?

Nice to see

I'm glad QL got on the list...however, although I don't disagree with many of the choices...there are a few...AND the ranking leaves a GREAT DEAL to be desired. I guess someone had to rank them but #22 for QL? Come on. It was better than many on the list.

Snish said:
I think of QL as more fantasy than sci-fi because the "science" is so sketchy or unrealistic--but that goes for most any sci-fi TV show or movie. So the only thing I can think of to divide them is "sci-fi includes technology that we don't have." So QL is clearly sci-fi, and Buffy the Vampire Slayer is clearly not... except that Buffy had a plot line about cyborgs... uh oh... :)

Well, that's why the fiction in science fiction is there. :)

Snish said:
So, anyway, how would you define science fiction as opposed to fantasy?

I think you're on the right track, and I'd also say that the technology factor does play a big part in classifying science fiction. Fantasy, on the other hand, I would say falls more into the realm of fiction. Science fiction is more about technology or aliens, or things that don't quite exist in our world yet, whereas fantasy is actually something that people's minds are capable of, but doesn't actually happen. Man, that's tough to explain!