Hotels for the con

McDuck said:
Since I was the one who made the Creation comment and my comment was "outed" I would just like to point out that the ticket price I was comparing this one with was a "gold level" ticket that DID include all these perks. However, you are all right as regards a general admission ticket and the cheapness and what was and was not included.

Ah. I never really looked into their 'ticket levels', so I didn't know one was all-inclusive. Still, I have the feeling a 'gold level' ticket would probably have left a gaping void in my bank account that would take years to re-fill!

And, back on the hotel subject, I'd just like to say I'm willing to share a room. I had initially said I'd bring a significant other, but apparently, I was being optimistic at the time. Are we going to have a way to really get to know other people, before the con? I've stayed in strange places with strangers before, but I'd prefer to have a way to 'meet' people beforehand.

LadyKayoss, when our website goes live (which should be soon as we now have the completed logo), we will have a message board just for the convention, which will have a dedicated thread for finding a roommate. If you find someone quite early, you'll have two years to e-mail and phone each other.

When I attended my first ever Quantum Leap convention ten years ago, I was matched with two other people, and I was able to write and phone them in the months leading up to the convention, which worked really well.

I use a power wheelchair for mobility. I always like having events at the hotel I'm in rather than having to travel around, but as long as things aren't more than a block away, it might be okay. Weather is an issue for me since I do travel by chair. I would also ask you to be extremely diligent in ensuring handicapped accessibility is not just lip service, but is actually a fact. You might call local rehabilitation hospitals in the LA area and ask them if they know the truth about the place. I can't tell you how often places have assured me they are handicapped accessible, but truly are not. Quite honestly, unless I can be assured of accessibility, I will not attend. I know that sounds like "If I can't play, then I'm taking my ball and going home," but accessibility makes or breaks a trip for me.

Tomwalford, as someone who once spent a year in a wheelchair, and attended a QL convention on crutches two weeks after major surgery, I know how important accessibility is. We're hoping to do an onsite inspection of our chosen venue in December, and this will be at the top of the list.

In the UK, we have a conference going organisation called Electrical Eggs, which provides support and advice for conventions in accomodating people with limited mobility. I don't know whether there is a similar organisation in the States, but that is something we can look into.

Tom, and anyone else in a similar position, would you mind making a list of what you would expect from the hotel and convention to make your experience as trouble free as possible?

asearcher said:
Folks...

What the committee here is saying is true. Yes, costs for things like this can be high. I was just at a Creation Con...the 40th ST in Vegas. I was only there for the last two days...but the reserved seating was $64 each day and I was 56 rows back on the 1st day and 46 rows back on the 2nd...see my little avatar? That's the view I had of Scott...with a telephoto lens.

****I have to echo everything Helen says here as well, because I've been going to cons for over 15 years. I like the idea of both, but prefer, the hosted hotel with the con, but, with somewhat reasonable hotels/motels nearby. But, even if the con rate for the hotel is around $150 a night, sharing is the best way and the funnest. Especially if you go and hang with the same group each time, then it becomes a norm to meet up just for a con. I hope to find a roomie, because it'll be the only way I can afford the con. And, it wouldn't be as lonely. Meeting up with other fans is the whole reason cons exist in the first place.

As for the more expensive ticket? I've been to the Creation shows as well. If the ticket includes autos with all, including Scott and Dean? Heck, yeah, I'd pay!!! Of course, nice to have a payment plan if that expensive...:rolleyes

But, either way, I look forward to going. I hope to attend the next BSG Con in Burbank in November. Anybody else planning on going?

HUGS
Judy

Last edited by a moderator:
Namaste said:
I trust you guys, and know that you're doing the best you can. Planning early is smart and I am totally blown away with how much information you're supplying us with. I have been to conventions that were much smaller than this one, and everything was pretty much done in secret, and then the poor organization left a number of us 'general members' in the dark. It was one of those deals where no one even bothered to ask the people what they wanted.

I think you guys (and gals) are doing a really fantastic job with all of this.

I do want to comment on something else. I know that a number of folks here have been to other cons where there have been charges upon charges. One of my friends attended a ST convention recently, and she said it was very pricey, so that bit I understand fully. Since this thread was strictly about the hotel issue, I tried to keep my thoughts and comments strictly on the 'saving money' on lodging issue. Whatever happens with pictures and autographs is not of huge concern for me right now. I don't really mind paying extra for the weekend, but I do think that considering the cost to fly to North America from Europe, we overseas people are undertaking a certain amount of cost on that alone.

Since this is not going to be considered a vacation that my husband and I are undertaking, I have to make sure that I can even afford to go. I can accept that it will not be cheap, but in all fairness, if I can save in some areas, then I would like to do so. Of course, that doesn't mean that I want to have a roach for a roommate.

I am good with anywhere....I am there regardless! :) Last Con I was at was in the early 90's..

I'm new to the site,so please excuse if I'm posting in the wrong place.

Has an "official" hotel been determined yet? I like to stay at the host hotel when possible,I have limited mobility and it's better for me if I'm nearer the action :help

Hi,
New to posting here. But even if there is a hotel to go with the convention site, the ticket is not tied to the hotel. There will probably be many hotels within a reasonable drive of the convention site so you could find one cheaper than the con hotel (as in the one nearest ot the con or the one the con is in depending on what the site ends up.

Rooming with people whom you have not met before can be a bit daunting but it has worked out well for me. At first I roomed with strangers that I paired up with at a convention site. Then I met people on line and ended up pairing with various ones for different events; even though we didn't know each other in person it worked out fine.
I am sure yo will be able to use web sites you have access to including the Con site to pair up with people. And after all you'll not be in the room all that much time with so much to do at the con or in LA.
Nancy

Thanks for the info bunnymit. I may have a roommate,my friend'sdaughter, I got her hooked on the show when she was a teenager:)
I'll keep checking to find out all the fine points.

The ticket is not tied to the hotel - put I believe we are talking about doing an event that only con-hotel key holders will have access to.

Staying in the con hotel has many benefits not limited to easy access to all events. It also helps us keep our commitment to the hotel of the number of rooms we are planning on getting them. The more that attend, the better the profit going to the Starlight Starbright Children's Foundation - which is our ultimate goal!

alsplacebartender said:
The ticket is not tied to the hotel - put I believe we are talking about doing an event that only con-hotel key holders will have access to.

Staying in the con hotel has many benefits not limited to easy access to all events. It also helps us keep our commitment to the hotel of the number of rooms we are planning on getting them. The more that attend, the better the profit going to the Starlight Starbright Children's Foundation - which is our ultimate goal!

Hello, Brian and Committee People... I'm not sure this is a great idea. I believe that all of us are committed to the idea of raising lots of money for the Starlight Foundation - I just don't think that excluding some attendees from part of the fun is the best way to go about it. While I understand that booking the conference venue *and* booking a certain number of rooms is going to get you a better deal with the hotel, I still hope you will reconsider. Unfortunately, for some folks, the ability to attend at all may be dependent on *not* staying there. Making the commitment to spend three wonderful days together - and cheerfully paying for the ticket that allows us to do so - should be enough to include all attendees in all events (except, obviously, those bits where some folks attend on one day or evening and others on another day). We're all looking forward to the auctions and such, and the opportunity to give what we can to a very worthy cause.

(Speaking for myself, I'm fairly sure I know where the Con is to be held, and while I would *love* to stay there, an offer from a Los Angeles - based friend to stay with her may make the difference between us being able to come from Australia to attend or not. I sure wouldn't like to come so far to visit and not be able to partake in all the fun...)

Respectfully,
Leanne

alsplacebartender said:

I think Brian is talking about a gold ticket-type event. But I think Leanne has a very good point. Buying a gold ticket shouldn't be tied to staying at the hotel, just as the basic ticket isn't tied to the hotel.

From what I've read here, it sounds like hundreds of people may come to this event. There shouldn't be any problem filling those hotel rooms. Right?

No, if we did this at all, it wouldn't be tied to any specific ticket. I think we are exploring doing a small event that only key holders will get into free - regular or gold tickets. Everyone else could pay extra to attend it if they desired.

Planning a convention is hard work - much harder than I expected. Bottom line is that if we don't get most of those rooms booked, there is no convention. I understand personal finances can be rough to manage. There are many things I'd like to have that I can't afford. But there are plenty of things I can if I just budget for them.

This is not something to worry about. Most events have this sort of thing, whether it's hidden in the small print or brought out front. Hotels want to sell rooms. We have to help them sell them to get a rate we can afford.

Sorry if this upset anyone! Definately not intended to. Thanks for the opinions!

alsplacebartender said:
Planning a convention is hard work - much harder than I expected. Bottom line is that if we don't get most of those rooms booked, there is no convention. I understand personal finances can be rough to manage. There are many things I'd like to have that I can't afford. But there are plenty of things I can if I just budget for them.

This is not something to worry about. Most events have this sort of thing, whether it's hidden in the small print or brought out front. Hotels want to sell rooms. We have to help them sell them to get a rate we can afford.

Sorry if this upset anyone! Definately not intended to. Thanks for the opinions!
Regarding the planning of this behemoth: all I can say is :bow... it's a huge task, and we are all in awe and extremely grateful. Budgets, yeah, tell me about it!! Upset? Moi? Not likely. Just chucking in my two cents'.... :D

just booked my room for the convention woohooo cant wait, lovely king bed :D have booked it at the same hotel so i dont have to walk far or get lost trying to get there saves money getitng a cab/bus too,lol

You got a room too!??

mand said:
just booked my room for the convention woohooo cant wait, lovely king bed :D have booked it at the same hotel so i dont have to walk far or get lost trying to get there saves money getitng a cab/bus too,lol

I am so jealous! I just hope I can afford a room and a ticket before they are all gone.... Convincing my hubby that I need this is really hard! LOL:disbelief

awww,

a friend of mine told me that most hotels int eh states want credit cards only is this true? i emailed the con hotel and asked if they onyl take credit cards or do they take cash and if they take maestro cards and i got this reply and its a bit confusing to me

We do ask for credit card as a form of payment and guarantee at the time of check in. We don’t accept Maestro cards, should you choose to your debit card the payment would be processed as a credit card. Be advised that there would be a hold put on your funds should you decide to use your debit card that may take anywhere from 72 hours to 2 weeks to release pending on your banking institution.

Regards

If you use a debit card, their processing company with "authorize" your card to make sure the funds are actually there. Their company can virtually hold the amount of your room stay and they are saying that could be up two two weeks.

So, for those two weeks, you would not be able to access that amount in your banking account when buying other stuff you buy with that card. So, if the cost is say $300, then for about two weeks, you'll not be able to access that $300.

Make sense? What is a maestro card?

yeah but means paying a monthly fee as thats what most ask for,
the hotel is £225 for 3 nights and i'm gonna stay 4 nights now so be dearer, my credit card i got only lets me have a limit upto £200 thats why i was wondering if they took cash, maybe i should ring the hotel direct they can tell me much better

Is there anyway you could change your debit card to a VISA? I know I've paid a hotel bill with my VISA Debit card before, so you shouldn't have a problem with that.

And yes, most hotels will take cash, but you generally have to log a credit or debit card with them at check in to cover room service, in room phone, etc.

i have my credit card on file as i'm register'd with holiday inn and am a priortiy rewards club member, and i rember when i stayed at the hoilday inn, in birmingham they just asked if i wanted to pay by the credit card on file or cash,

and with the visa do you mean like a visa eletron card?

If you're still worried about being stuck with only having cash, you could room with someone else, then pay them your half in cash (since I doubt many attendees will be able to accept credit cards on their own!)

di you get a confirmation mail?

mand said:

I reserved too, using their form but didn't get a confirmation mail.
I'm a bit worried cause I gave my credit card number.

Any thoughts?
anyone?