Quantum Mistakes

Enterprise said:
Has anyone noticed that when Al is smoking his cigars, you can still see the smoke, even though it is not physically touching him? :x

My theory is that there is a kind of field of projection around Al as a nuerological hologram so you can see anything he touches back in the imaging chamber or anything in his immediate vicinity.

Also, in the episode 'Shock Theater', Al does touch Dr. Beeks(?) with his bare hand, so I think that Sam can only see what Al is physically touching.

Going out on a limb here, but...perhaps since Al is physically touching the cigar, the smoke is actually still part of/attached to the cigar, only it's in the process of disintegrating/detaching.

I've brought this topic up before myself, when I asked why we couldn't see the government committee when they grabbed Al in "Star-Crossed." I came to the conclusion that it would have to be skin-to-skin contact. But what about things like Al's shoes or when he wears gloves? His skin touches his socks, and his socks touch the shoes, but no direct contact. Well, I kind of figure that as long as Al is touching something that is touching an object (like when he's holding the handlink and wearing gloves), the brainwave signal still allows it to be visible. The committee, however, grabbed Al by his elbows, and therefore anything they were wearing that touched Al's robe was too thick to transmit through.

But other instances, especially in the early episodes, where Al goes up and down a few steps, are simply a mistake. (OK, to be fair, maybe Don didn't fully establish his rules yet, but Al still goes up a step in the church in "Last Dance Before An Execution," which was a lot later in the series.) Unless there happened to be steps in the Imaging Chamber exactly where the holographic steps were... I'm not sure why Don simply didn't have the Imaging Chamber have some kind of treadmill-type floor, so that Al could walk all he wanted without risking bumping into a wall. And other things like Al's shadow should not exist at all either; light and shadow can be cast on him, but he can't cast light or shadow on anything else. But hey, we're not supposed to think that deeply into it, right?

Don't mind me──I love explaining this stuff. :D

Last edited:
I have spotted another oops. In It's a Wonderful Leap, at the end, Angelita goes down the alley. Sam tells Lenny he'll be right back, and follows her. Al follows Sam, and brushes against Lenny, making his jacket move. It's subtle, but it's there. :eek:

my best friend and i have a theory about a curtian moment in an episode. In Double Idenity when Al is first feeding Sam the leap information in Don Gino's attic Sam asks at one point,
"So who is this Frankie guy?"
Al: "Oh he's a hitman"
Sam gets shocked by the answer and stands up quickly, as he does this his head smacks into some object hung above his head. My best friend and i laugh over this part sometimes because she seems to wanna think that this was actually a mistake made by Scott but Don and the other people of the crew thought it was funny and kept it in. just a thought. hehe.

ok in the episode where sam leaped as himshelf as a child back home and saw his folks shouldnt sam had even a little memory of the WAiTING ROOM, becouse he was actually there when he was little replaced by himshelf????
and i start to wander the theory that sam may already knew it and that gave him the idea to make the QL poject in the future without knowing what the waiting room was.Anyway that part was never explained

yeah i have consitered that as well, in fact i like to imagine a little moment where Sam cracks to al "so how am i doing in the waiting room?"
Al: what are you talking about you're not in the waiting room...oh right, i get it...haha ah, you're fine, you're quite fasinated with the technology.
Sam: "you didn't tell me that i made the project did you?"
Al: no of course not, i'm not stupid Sam.

haha.
i am sure maybe he does but it is just never mentioned.

I am watching Temptation eyes right now and at the beginning Ross asks Collins to tell them more about the girl (Janine) to which Collins replies, pointing to Sam
"He's the one playing phone tag with whoever strangled her", and Ross says
"Hey Dylan called you first thing when he got the tip, we were the first to report it!"

well that can't be true, Ross was the murder that had been tipping Dylan, and Tony Besh killed Janine, so how could Dylan have gotten a tip about Janine?

another mistake i found in the show which i like a lot but anyways ,i dont know if this was mentioned before but in the episode where sam leaped in to the body of a mother, the little girl could see sam who he really was, her daughter lol and al said that all little kids can see sam and al becouse they are little and innocent somethin like that and also in the episode the last dance of an execution where a liitle girl saw al in the chapel.But in the upcoming episodes the writers of the show might have forgoten this part they put in the show that all kids could see sam and al and in many episodes where sam was souranded by kids none of them could see sam . and so his friend al.Especially in the episode atomic family.Thats the other mistake in the show

Depends on the age of the kid in question.

Generally, it's children UNDER the age of 5...who can see Sam and Al.

ok and in the episode atomic family if you ve seen it,how old do you think that little girl was? 15???LOL

She certainly wasn't UNDER THE AGE OF 5. Closer to 7 or 8 if you ask me. :p

McDuck said:
She certainly wasn't UNDER THE AGE OF 5. Closer to 7 or 8 if you ask me. :p

That's probably more of a smart move than a QL Mistake, have you seen those shows were people work with kids? Just doesn't work... WHEN WILL THEY LEARN. Besides it would probably be better to have a 7 or 8 year old actress than a 5 year old, at least they'd know what 'stage direction' meant.... I think.

Remenber kids, TV+KIDS(or animals) just doesn't work....... and Santa isn't real. HAH .lol:roflmao:

I have noticed a couple of bloopers or slip-ups in an episode that I was watching over the weekend. The episode was called "The Leap Back" where Sam and Al switch places. I noticed two bloopers on the show that don't make much sense to me so I am inclined to treat them as technical errors.

1.) Sam is the hologram this time and doesn't know anything about the person Al has leaped into other than that the person is named Tom, it's 1945, and he's in the imaging chamber-and it's sealed closed. Al is dropped off at a house and as he opens the door, Sam is standing in the doorway. The questions that make me think this might be a blooper are a.) How does Sam know where the house would be at? b.) how was Sam able to elevate his position without the handlink? If Sam was a hologram, how would he be able to go up a small flight of stairs without the handlink to relocate himself in the I.C? Wouldn't Sam simply go through the stairs because the stairs to the house where Tom lived at would be a hologram to Sam like everything else?

2.) Al is knocked unconcious and will die unless Sam intervenes. Sam gets the insight to leap into Al. Sam, in the project control room, tells Gooshie to activate the accelerator and tells Tina to give him one of those white suits. It shows Sam in the accelerator and then you see Al leap out and Sam leap in, just in time to grab the arm of the would-be murderer and kick the door open, and knock the guy over the cliff. Yet, when Dr. Beeks and Tina retrive Al from the accelerator chamber, a very short moment before Donna attempts to retrieve Sam, notice that Al is not wearing a white suit but is dressed differently.

Anyone have an explanation here? LOL

Matthew

The main things I notice are editing goofs, particularly in the mirror shots.

What Price Gloria: during the office scene, when Sam is on the couch waiting for Buddy, the camera switches to a mirror shot of Gloria in the back ground. Just before the camera pans around to Buddy and the mirror, you can see Scott moving ready to get off of the couch to let the actress take his place for the mirror shot.

A Song for the Soul
When the girls are all lined up along the couch being lectured by the father, the camera moves for a mirror shot. You can see Scott ducking out of the way for the actress to replace him

Dreams
When Sam wakes up after his nightmare, he goes to the dresser to turn the lamp on. Once again, you can see Scott moving out of shot; he's crawling across the floor! It's a hard one to spot, so look closely.

Leap Home Part One
An audio glitch this time. As Al says 'Pattycake' during the final basketball game, there's a weird audio thing going on, sounds kinda like 'bloop'. Obscure, I know, but when you've watched the episodes a bazillion times, you tend to notice these things.

Leaping of the Shrew
A bit of looping work here. Scott had to loop over Sam saying 'You're saving yourself for your husband Nikos' - if you read his lips, he actually says 'You're saving yourself for your husband Sam'.

There are loads more little bloopers to see, I just can't think of them all right now!

QuantumMatt said:
1.) Sam is the hologram this time and doesn't know anything about the person Al has leaped into other than that the person is named Tom, it's 1945, and he's in the imaging chamber-and it's sealed closed. Al is dropped off at a house and as he opens the door, Sam is standing in the doorway. The questions that make me think this might be a blooper are a.) How does Sam know where the house would be at? b.) how was Sam able to elevate his position without the handlink? If Sam was a hologram, how would he be able to go up a small flight of stairs without the handlink to relocate himself in the I.C? Wouldn't Sam simply go through the stairs because the stairs to the house where Tom lived at would be a hologram to Sam like everything else?

Yeah, I've thought about that before, too. While technically it is a mistake, I get the impression that it was a conscious decision to have the scene make sense. Don Bellisario probably didn't think too deeply about it, or maybe just figured nobody would notice or care anyway. As for knowing where Tom lived, I had always assumed Sam kind of followed the truck back and snuck in the house before Al got out, so that he could scare him when he opened the door.

QuantumMatt said:
2.) Al is knocked unconcious and will die unless Sam intervenes. Sam gets the insight to leap into Al. Sam, in the project control room, tells Gooshie to activate the accelerator and tells Tina to give him one of those white suits. It shows Sam in the accelerator and then you see Al leap out and Sam leap in, just in time to grab the arm of the would-be murderer and kick the door open, and knock the guy over the cliff. Yet, when Dr. Beeks and Tina retrive Al from the accelerator chamber, a very short moment before Donna attempts to retrieve Sam, notice that Al is not wearing a white suit but is dressed differently.

Anyone have an explanation here? LOL

Matthew

This one's not a mistake. Al is simply wearing the clothes he had on in "Shock Theater" just before the leap-out. What actually happened was: Sam and Al simul-leaped; Sam Bederman's hospital clothes were duplicated as per the overload from the lightning bolt; the leapee's/Sam's fermi suit in the future basically disintigrated; and Tom Jarrett arrived in the Accelerator in Al's clothes (while Sam ended up in Al's spot in the Imaging Chamber). At the end of the episode, Sam gets his new fermi suit and bounces out Al in 1945. Al bounces out Tom (not into the past, but from the Accelerator to the Waiting Room) and arrives back in his own clothes, while Tom still remains in the future but is more or less bounced into Sam's new fermi suit. Everything goes back on track once Sam leaps out of 1945 and onto his next leap. Get it? :nut :lol

and another thing about the leap back episode.When sam woke up in the beggining of the episode, he was talking to al askin him what happened. But becouse al and sam simoleaped shouldnt sam see another man instead of al and figure out what happened?becouse all this time al doesnt see sam like we do but the man sam leaped to.So sam could ve seen the tom guy instead of al and ask him who are you and al tells him its me al, something happened and we simoleaped.Well that thing you cant say that it was actually a mistake becouse they just wanted to surprise the viewers just like they do in many shows.I was just wanted to mention it becouse i watched that episode many times and just thinking it

But becouse al and sam simoleaped shouldnt sam see another man instead of al and figure out what happened?becouse all this time al doesnt see sam like we do but the man sam leaped to.

By this time it's already been established that Al sees Sam as Sam. In "Miss Deep South" (which is prior to "The Leap Back"), when Sam has leaped into a beauty pageant contestant, Al says that Sam looks "like Scarlett O'Hara on steroids." So by then, Al sees Sam the way we do.

Just watched one strobe over the line - noticed that there's a bit in it where the lion is stood on a table and walks through Al - i thought to myself, cant animals see Al? you'd've thought the lion would have tried to walk round him... was jus a lil thing i noticed

--
Tess

bluedana said:
By this time it's already been established that Al sees Sam as Sam. In "Miss Deep South" (which is prior to "The Leap Back"), when Sam has leaped into a beauty pageant contestant, Al says that Sam looks "like Scarlett O'Hara on steroids." So by then, Al sees Sam the way we do.
ok but in the episode what price gloria al saw sam as SHE,and he had a crash on him lol he didnt see sam.And that proves that this little part in the show the leap back it was a little mistake.but i already said why i dont see this mistake as a mistake

leaper said:
ok but in the episode what price gloria al saw sam as SHE,and he had a crash on him lol he didnt see sam.And that proves that this little part in the show the leap back it was a little mistake.but i already said why i dont see this mistake as a mistake

I'm not sure what's so difficult to understand here. "What Price Gloria?" was early in the series where Al didn't see Sam for who he was yet. This fact changed during the course of the show (somewhere in-between the second and third seasons). As we all know, it was never actually explained; it was just something fans concluded to make sense of the storyline. What happened in "The Leap Back" is no more a mistake than any other fact that Don Bellisario changed during the course of the series (i.g. Ziggy's gender).

i found another one mistake in the show .I am not sure if this was mentioned before here.In the episode THE FUTURE BOY the episode takes place in 1957.At the end of the episode the captain galaxy before he goes to the nut house lol he starts to read fan letters on the last episode of his show.and surpringsly one of them is from sam beckett as a kid.And thats ecxactly what the mistake is becouse in Mirror image we learn that sam was born on 1955 so in 1957 he was only 2 years old.So how the heck he knew how to read spell and write????

Sam's birthyear as established in "Genesis" and then reinforced in other episodes, including "Mirror Image" is 1953, not 1955 which would make him 4 at the time of the events of "Future Boy." In the second season opening episode "Honeymoon Express" Sam reveals that at the age of 2 he was able to read. If he could read at the age of 2 it's more than a safe assumption that by the age of 4 he could write.

yes but when he leaps in the year 1955 and sees what year it is,he tells to the bartender that this is the year he was born so does al in the wating room to goochi.So even if he said in other episodes that he was born in 1953 he tells the bartender that he was born on this year 1955.well not with ecxactly these words.I mean this is like for me saying to someone that i was born in 1973 and to others in 1977. only if i was a woman and trying to hide my age lol

I know it's been a couple of months since I last saw Mirror Image but the when Sam's sees the current date the year is 1953, not 1955.

If you check the episode guide at Al's Place (http://quantumleap-alsplace.com/episodeguide/mirrorimage.htm) it lists the leap date as August 8, 1953.

IMDB also supports the date as being August 8, 1953 since the complete title it gives to the episode is "Mirror Image - August 8, 1953". (http://imdb.com/title/tt0681144/).

There's also a copy of the script available at http://quantumleap-alsplace.com/scripts/script_mirrorimage.htm. Sam mentions his birthday in the first act. It's in the 4th act that Al and Gooshie talk about Sam's birthday. Although the exact year, 1953, isn't given Gooshie says that he began the search on Sam's first birthday in 1954. I think you're mistaken in thinking that the year in "Mirror Image" is 1955.

I noticed a blooper in Temptation Eyes a while ago but did not realize what it truely was until this morning.

Ok, so after the montage of I Wanna Know What Love Is, Sam is laying in bed. The camera man is shooting it from the front of the bed, and you can see that just in front of the camera, right before Al's appearence, there is smoke rising into the air. I thought it was from Sam's blanket, which led me to believe that he was using an electric blanket, but then I realized that it was smoke from Al's cigar indicating that you can tell that Dean is standing there at the foot of the bed just seconds before the imaging chamber door sound announced Al's arrival.

I just noticed one while I has watching the halloween episode. Devil Al is not a hologram, and he smokes cigars, so would'nt Sam have been able to smell the smoke from his cigars?

Thief

leaper said:
i found another one mistake in the show .I am not sure if this was mentioned before here.In the episode THE FUTURE BOY the episode takes place in 1957.At the end of the episode the captain galaxy before he goes to the nut house lol he starts to read fan letters on the last episode of his show.and surpringsly one of them is from sam beckett as a kid.And thats ecxactly what the mistake is becouse in Mirror image we learn that sam was born on 1955 so in 1957 he was only 2 years old.So how the heck he knew how to read spell and write????
What I find amusing is the possibilty that Sam (maybe subconciously, given his youth) stole the idea of the string theory from Mo Stein.