Pipe Dream!!!

Well, theoretically if we choose several locations throughout the world and write a script that would link them all up... It could be possible. Also people who could not be at the location could get their own scene to add.
So that way it could be done .

Also , the people filming their own scene could still do an interactive scene with someone else, maybe over skype or some other video conference program (filming with a better camera though if possible), alternatively have someone at their place read with them, we can cut it in post to make them look like they're in the same room with another forum member having a talk.

Those who prefer being behind the camera could provide establishing shots or other ideas or input or help organizing.

it will look a bit ragged with all kinds of different technology mixing, but as it's just for fun it shouldn't matter.

special effects would be outta the question???

I was thinking maybe everyone hopefully could pick a subject, or even subjects, which I don't think is a problem, as all the people who use this forum are awfully nice people :)

And maybe we all could film a 5 minute segment each.

If that makes sense!

And that also depends on what every says of course.....

Maybe my idea IS silly.....

Hum hum hums........

it's an awesome idea, the trick is probably organizing it. 3-5 minutes segments per group seems somewhat realistic, it really depends how many experienced people are in each group. Special effect will depend on who and what software you get to edit it. I do have access to special effect software but am not experienced with it. But if we have goodt editor and sf people in the group, yeah, it could be done.

i mean stuff like bluescreen is realively simple, if you know your lighting, I could book out the uni studio for that and take care of it myself. or stuff which can be done with rather simple editing technqiques like people appearing/vanishing into thin air and so forth. i think there may have been a thread about a QL leap effect being around for free use somewhere.

I think that it would be a fun idea, but I think that instead of having everyone tape five minutes or so, the trick should be to have everyone contribute in their own way. I don't have that fancy technology, but I could help write a script. Plus, you would have to have people sign up for it, and then you would have to make sure that it's legal, probably by checking with the group that made Quantum Leap. Then, you would be on your way!

:)

Well, windows movie maker is editing software, but many are more advanced. For this project something like it should not be too bad, but I'd like to go a step higher. For something 5 minutes or under, I'd also be ready to edit or help editing... but bear in mind there may be more qualified people around. Good idea to browse the internet for some freeware, who knows you may find something really good. :)

What kind of program you need really depends on how good a result you want and what you want to do. As part of my study I'm allowed to use the software at our uni, and use the result for my own projects. Those are pretty expensive packages that would probably cost about $1000. They have a lot of settings though that we really won't need. The one I'm using at home... did my trailer and retouched the videos on my homepage with it... cost me about $80 and is not as advanced but pretty good, especially for its price! Not sure if I'm allowed to advertize its name here.

You can do quite some special effects with those, but there is also specialized software that can do the really awesome stuff.

Also, if time permits it would be good to do a proper sound-post. Which would imply yet another software package, an editing room with awesome speakers and hopefully someone with a library of free sounds and music to use. Then again for our uses this may be overkill. i do know a really good sound post editor though, if we should go for it.

ohboy said:
I think that it would be a fun idea, but I think that instead of having everyone tape five minutes or so, the trick should be to have everyone contribute in their own way. I don't have that fancy technology, but I could help write a script. Plus, you would have to have people sign up for it, and then you would have to make sure that it's legal, probably by checking with the group that made Quantum Leap. Then, you would be on your way!

uhum. Interesting thought ohboy.
i think it could work to just cut contributions together, but someone will have to do the final editing. It would also be nice to have an overarching script that all pieces would fit into. The sub stories could be independent. I was thinking 3-5 minutes per group. However people may want to group. Maybe by region? Of course there could be shorter pieces too.

Copyright, yep, i remember that essay :nut you may too :lol . i simply don't know the rights for fan fiction. Actually, in Australia that is, you're allowed to make a spoof. But I don't think that's what we want here.

... sorry for the multiple posting..

there is always "on camera editing"
Which means that you simply plan your shots really well and shoot them exactly in the right order. Takes a lot of planning, but it can be done. Would save editing.

If you both are really serious in doing this, then the first part that you may wish to do is take a few weeks and recruit members for this project. Just the basic ones, the ones that will coordinate things. Then check the legal standings next, and go from there.

Can I say what I think :)

I wasn't thinking along the lines of a spoof, but if thats what peopl WANT, then fine :)

In my mind I was thinking more along the lines of maybe what people thought would happen after mirror image.

Or maybe everyone picks a topic and we all film our interpretations on the topic.

Hmmmmm.....

Often, ideas that may seem silly or crazy at the time are the most profound and important.

• The world is not flat ~~ Christopher Columbus
  • We can build a nation, a democracy, in which all men have freedom to choose the government ~~ American Forefathers
  • Women and men are equal ~~ Mary Jones
We don't say those are crazy anymore, but at the time (1500s, 1700s, 1800s), they were.

One last suggestion I would like to make (sorry for all the nagging), is that you should probably start such a project next year. It would be very hectic to try and start something like this during Christmas season.

Well, me read, me like!;)

And making films, well that's what I do (in a beginner's fashion, but with enthusiasm!), and love doing. So bring it on.

Let's see how many more people want to jump on board.
:sing

I personally also wouldn't want a spoof, I just brought is up as it may be easier copyright wise. Any volunteer to do the research on this topic?

I'm in :D.

We could make it that Sam leaps to different parts of the world, then everyone in their geographic location could get to do something...

If we wrote the story from the point of view of someone other than Sam, we'd be able to explain why there are so many different people playing Sam too...

Lightning McQueenie said:
I'm in :D.

We could make it that Sam leaps to different parts of the world, then everyone in their geographic location could get to do something...

If we wrote the story from the point of view of someone other than Sam, we'd be able to explain why there are so many different people playing Sam too...

That is so awesome! This way Sam can look any way he wants.
great idea!:hurray:

(and I still got Sam-deprival-symptoms from my showreel :p )

Just as a thought... as we can't have Al... unless we explain a different appearance,
Sam has to find Al, for some reason, and is Leaped around all over the globe to that end.
... then again it would be sad not to have Al.

I think that this would be a very interesting venture, to say the least. However, I couldn't make a video. And I would be much to busy to start something like this in December. Put me down as a "maybe".

Well, as long as we're not aiming for a professional grade result, and everyone just brings what they can in production or pre-production (planning stage as a rough translation) or teams up with someone with some experience it's not so unrealistic. Theorectically, people can be asked to record 10 second scenes on a webcam for example, that kind of thing. it's really the planning within the groups that would be a bit harder.