Stuff reminds you of QL

ladystoneheart

Project QL Intern
Sep 3, 2013
Have you ever had something which is not related to QL but makes you remember the show?

I have read the book of Ken Grimwood,'The Breakthrough' recently. The book tells about a young woman who is an epilepsy patient and goes through an experiment for the treatment of her illness. During the process, she discovers that she is having someone else's memories and she finds herself in the body of that person.You know like she's leapt into that person!
I couldn't help but thinking of our Sam till I finished the book :)

Flight by Sherman Alexie is another one. The protagonist finds himself in the bodies and lives of several different people during the story, including a couple of historical characters. I definitely thought of QL immediately when I was reading it.

I've never read The Breakthrough. Sounds interesting.

Oh,I haven't read that one either.I need to check it:)
Also I'm watching Time Tunnel these days which is like the ancestor of QL !

When I took Reading in my beginning college years (it was required) we read a novel called Nickel and Dimed. It's the true story of how the author had with undercover pretenses became employed with three different minimum wage jobs at different times and lived solely on their income. The purpose was to prove that life costs more than minimum wage.
(as we were told, some chose not to believe the truth of it and she'd even received life threatening letters for it).

It struck me as quite similar to what Sam does, pretending to be something he is not for a noble cause and when later writing the required essay for the novel I even made a mention of leaping as an analogy since my teacher happened to be a fan. :)

I was also reminded of Quantum Leap during the airings of the trailers for 2007 film, Source Code in which actor Jake Gyllenhaal was sent back in time where he switched places with another man in the last eight minutes of his life. In which time he needed to find a way to prevent the man's (and his own) death and some kind a bombing. He apparently fails several times and is forced back each time to try again.
The setting of the incident was all the more a reminder as it was aboard a train and I believe the man may have been accompanied by a significant other.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0945513/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_8
I never actually saw the film (so I could have some of the description wrong) but the resemblance had me interested.

I was also reminded of Quantum Leap during the airings of the trailers for 2007 film, Source Code in which actor Jake Gyllenhaal was sent back in time where he switched places with another man in the last eight minutes of his life. In which time he needed to find a way to prevent the man's (and his own) death and some kind a bombing. He apparently fails several times and is forced back each time to try again.
The setting of the incident was all the more a reminder as it was aboard a train and I believe the man may have been accompanied by a significant other.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0945513/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_8
I never actually saw the film (so I could have some of the description wrong) but the resemblance had me interested.

You know what the awesome thing about this movie? Scott Bakula is the father of Jake Gyllenhaal's character. Sadly you only hear his voice :( I didn't know Quantum Leap when I first watched the movie and I thought that was pretty cool idea. Then I learnt QL had already done that :)

Have you ever had something which is not related to QL but makes you remember the show?

Wow! I haven't posted a thing for a bit more than a month now, I believe.

Now that you mention it, yeah, another show, actually. The 15-hour mini-series called "Kingdom Hospital" by Stephen King. Especially the 9th episode, which deals with baseball, by the way. But the finale is also very Quantum Leap-esque in some way.

Last edited:
Now that you mention it, yeah, another show, actually. The 15-hour mini-series called "Kingdom Hospital" by Stephen King. Especially the 9th episode, which deals with baseball, by the way. But the finale is also very Quantum Leap-esque in some way.
Hmm,I watched that show back in the day but I can't remember anything about it.I only remember a guy who's in coma.Maybe I need to rewatch this one :D

Hmm,I watched that show back in the day but I can't remember anything about it.I only remember a guy who's in coma.Maybe I need to rewatch this one :D

Hehe! Yeah, there's a guy in a coma, all right, and you don't get to see the "Quantum Leapish" moments right away. They start at the 9th episode, and they're very crucial for the finale (it's which wraps the whole story up), but only in those episodes. Some kind of time-travel "to change what once went wrong" is involved and even some sort of hologram-like behavior is presented.

Hehe! Yeah, there's a guy in a coma, all right, and you don't get to see the "Quantum Leapish" moments right away. They start at the 9th episode, and they're very crucial for the finale (it's which wraps the whole story up), but only in those episodes. Some kind of time-travel "to change what once went wrong" is involved and even some sort of hologram-like behavior is presented.
Oh man,time travel is my soft spot in any kind of entertainment:D

Oh man,time travel is my soft spot in any kind of entertainment:D

I must confess it's mine, too! ESPECIALLY this kind of time-travel: "To strive to correct bad things/mistakes that happened in the past." Give KH a try. It's only 13 episodes, 45 mins. each, except for the first one and the finale, which are around 1 hr. 15 min. each. Some things are kinda weird to understand for first-time viewers, but give it time and everything will come around. It'll grow on you, but have some patience and I'm sure you'll like it.

I must confess it's mine, too! ESPECIALLY this kind of time-travel: "To strive to correct bad things/mistakes that happened in the past." Give KH a try. It's only 13 episodes, 45 mins. each, except for the first one and the finale, which are around 1 hr. 15 min. each. Some things are kinda weird to understand for first-time viewers, but give it time and everything will come around. It'll grow on you, but have some patience and I'm sure you'll like it.
I will definitely give it a shot.

Speaking of time travel,there is a movie called "Timecrimes".It is one of the best time travel movie I have ever seen.It has a very dark tone,though.

This sounds interesting and though I haven't read him outside of school, I have enjoyed quite a few of Stephan King's film/series adaptions. Actually in another series adapted from his work 'The Dead Zone' the main character, a gentlemen who was in a car accident which put him in a coma for six years and wakes up psychic in a great deal of episodes has visions of events to come and is determined to prevent them. For example, in one episode an upcoming wrinkle removal product is going to cause an epidemic of fatal birth defects.
It has a more focused plot though that is built up throughout the entire series.

Speaking of time travel,there is a movie called "Timecrimes".It is one of the best time travel movie I have ever seen.It has a very dark tone,though.

Great! Never heard about that movie, but I'm gonna look for it, thanks!

This sounds interesting and though I haven't read him outside of school, I have enjoyed quite a few of Stephan King's film/series adaptions. Actually in another series adapted from his work 'The Dead Zone' the main character, a gentlemen who was in a car accident which put him in a coma for six years and wakes up psychic in a great deal of episodes has visions of events to come and is determined to prevent them. For example, in one episode an upcoming wrinkle removal product is going to cause an epidemic of fatal birth defects.
It has a more focused plot though that is built up throughout the entire series.

Have you seen the original movie from the 1980's with Christopher Walken? That's adapted more directly from the SK source. I've actually never seen the series, but maybe someday I'll give them a try. But the movie with Walken, the first time I saw it, I kept wondering if Bellisario got inspired by it, just a little bit, perhaps, to create Quantum Leap. Instead of psychic powers, Ziggy and time-travel. In the movie and in the book, they call "The Dead Zone" the ability to change the outcome. Johnny sees the future, the past and the present and something bad happening in them, and based on that he can save people by changing it, but there's always something missing from his visions, the alternate result, meaning "The Dead Zone". Even when he does not time-travel himself, his visions sort of do and he saves people, so it reminded me a lot of QL.

Another movie that kind of reminds me of QL is "The Butterfly Effect". I thought it was just an average work. Great idea but they didn't manage to handle it very well, in my opinion.

No, I haven't seen the original film but know of Christopher Walken. Perhaps sometime I shall check it out.

Now the Butterfly Effect in my opinion is such a brilliant concept but it does lack...a base if that's an appropriate term (can't think of another). It's not clear how he's sending himself back into his memories though I suppose that could be the point.
It doesn't bare a resemblance to Quantum Leap however other than the basic concept of time travel.

Another film which is actually somewhat close in execution to The Butterfly Effect is The Time Traveler's Wife. A lovely and intense bittersweet story but though neither my best friend or I read the book she for one could tell right away despite that it translated to film poorly. It being a pretty complex concept, I can see how it would be difficult.
Amusingly I often find myself entertaining how horrible a time poor Sam would have making the kind of arrivals Henry does, HA, though quite delicious for us who love some shirtless Scott. ;)

The Dead Zone movie is one of the best SK adaptation.But I have to admit that I have also seen the tv series.It has six seasons and Anthony Michael Hall was likeable as John Smith.One of my favourites.

Butterfly Effect is good although I am not fond of Ashton Kutcher (well his acting was decent there)
Time Traveler's Wife is better than the previous one.The part that Henry doesn't have control on his travelling through the time is similar to Sam's leapings (except Mirror Image reveal) and now you mention it...Donna/Claire parallels :cry

Time Traveler's Wife is better than the previous one.The part that Henry doesn't have control on his travelling through the time is similar to Sam's leapings (except Mirror Image reveal) and now you mention it...Donna/Claire parallels :cry

This is my thought on it as well. The parallels despite the extreme difference in time traveling styles. Though at least Henry always pops back to his wife sometime. Poor Donna. :cry

"It's always darkest before the dawn"

The old adage(in subject header) rings true in several different stories and storylines of TV series. Star Trek: Enterprise from the year 2155 to 2159(Years that we never saw due to series cancellation Earth was at war with the Vulcan offshoot race called "Romulans" before entering and founding the Federation of Planets in '61. An interplanetary utopian society.

In Smallville's final season, before Clark Kent made the his human identity the secret instead of Kal-El, he faced his most difficult and most evil challenger to date; Darkseid(from DC Comics lore). Before Clark officially shows himself as a beacon of light to the world he has to fight the darkness in not only every citizen of Earth but also himself!:help needed from Lois Lane and his other allies.

The subject header was used in a QL: The Virtual Seasons trailer that was posted on Youtube.

~Steve B.

No long time,no post:)
I was watching a movie called "The Thirteenth Floor" yesterday and it reminded me of QL so much. I don't want to spoil the movie for those who haven't watched it yet but let's say there are leaping there,too :)