Hi again everyone :)

angvee

Project QL Intern
Aug 7, 2011
Australia
www.turboimagehost.com
A few questions here I hope people will not mind me asking.....

Has there ever been a fan film made by anyone picking up where "Mirror Image" ended?

I have always been interested about the "What If" side of the show if I make sense here.......

I mean...... The things that may or may not happen that people do not actually see........

Also...... The B******** episode........ Is there a reason people do not speak about this episode very often if at all? When I have seen people speak about this episode it is always written with asterisks........

I hope I do not have my behind whipped for bringing up the episode :)

I don't believe anyone actually did a fan film picking up where Mirror Image ended, although there was a pretty good fan film awhile back about Sam and Princess Diana. It's been awhile though, so I'm not 100 percent sure about that. There is a lot of fan fiction out there that probably addressed that.

If I'm recalling correctly about the B****** episode, a number of bad things happened to some of the people involved in that episode, so I think that is where that came from. Again though, it's been awhile since I read anything about that.

You can watch the Quantum Leap fanfilm "A Leap to Di For" (which I am credited as an Executive Producer of :D ) here.

As for the B**gieman, there is a supposed curse surrounding the episode. We were even affected by it when we did the Audio Commentary for this episode as a Halloween Special of the podcast :p

angvee said:
Has there ever been a fan film made by anyone picking up where "Mirror Image" ended?

I don't believe so. The only fan made film that I'm aware of is 'A Leap to Di For' which explores Sam trying to save Princess Diana's life.
It can be watched on Youtube, I've only ever seen a trailer but just found the full film. It was just put up last August which would explain why I couldn't find it at the time I'd last tried as it was further back than that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wekS0SH4Ok
(for obvious reasons Scott and Dean were not involved in this production, the roles of Sam and Al are played by different actors).

angvee said:
Also...... The B******** episode........ Is there a reason people do not speak about this episode very often if at all? When I have seen people speak about this episode it is always written with asterisks........

The Boogiem*n episode is said to be cursed. Supposedly VCRs have malfunctioned while playing it and computers have crashed while displaying it's content.
I myself have never had any such experiences though I've watched the episode dozens of times as its one of my favorites.

I don't believe so. The only fan made film that I'm aware of is 'A Leap to Di For' which explores Sam trying to save Princess Diana's life.
It can be watched on Youtube, I've only ever seen a trailer but just found the full film. It was just put up last August which would explain why I couldn't find it at the time I'd last tried as it was further back than that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wekS0SH4Ok
(for obvious reasons Scott and Dean were not involved in this production, the roles of Sam and Al are played by different actors).

But Deborah Pratt reprised her role as Ziggy :D

I know about A leap to di for....... Yes I have a copy of that and loved it!

I was kinda hoping another fan movie would be around but that is wishful thinking......

Ahhhhh so that is what happened with B********!!!!!!

I never knew that! Whoaaahhhhh!

:)

"A Leap to Di For" is very well done and a good alternative to an actual reunion. Of course, a reunion with Scott and Dean in their original roles wouldn't happen at this point, but I would love to see something where they are mentoring a younger generation. Something with Sam mentoring Sammie Jo could work, although of course it wouldn't be the same and there would be no way it could be. The original show and cast were one of a kind and it's not likely that same magic would work in any other circumstances. :)

I don't believe in "curses" per se; I think people more often than not bring bad stuff on themselves, and by that I mean they do so by making bad choices. I do know stuff happens you can't control; that's not what I'm talking about. I do think that if enough bad stuff is happening you should take note of it. I do believe in the idea that if you don't want trouble you shouldn't go looking for it.

"A Leap to Di For" is very well done and a good alternative to an actual reunion. Of course, a reunion with Scott and Dean in their original roles wouldn't happen at this point, but I would love to see something where they are mentoring a younger generation. Something with Sam mentoring Sammie Jo could work, although of course it wouldn't be the same and there would be no way it could be. The original show and cast were one of a kind and it's not likely that same magic would work in any other circumstances. :)

I don't believe in "curses" per se; I think people more often than not bring bad stuff on themselves, and by that I mean they do so by making bad choices. I do know stuff happens you can't control; that's not what I'm talking about. I do think that if enough bad stuff is happening you should take note of it. I do believe in the idea that if you don't want trouble you shouldn't go looking for it.

What you say here is what I was thinking actually :)

You were an executive producer in a leap to di for Lightning McQueenie? Wow :)

Also, your podcast about B******** is great mate! Loved it! :)

Haha I love working on the podcast, it's a lot of fun :D we will hopefully have the next one out in the next few days.

The Boogiem*n episode is said to be cursed. Supposedly VCRs have malfunctioned while playing it and computers have crashed while displaying it's content.
I myself have never had any such experiences though I've watched the episode dozens of times as its one of my favorites.

Do you think it will do the same with a Blu-ray or a DVR? How 'bout those little modern Notebooks (the computers)? Hehe!! Just a bad joke. I always found those superstitions about The B**gieman quite funny. It was sort of like when everyone in the 90's believed that Stephen King really slept with his light on because he was afraid of the things that hid under his bed.

The only thing ever to happen to me is that my Quantum Leap DVD is wearing out because I have played B******** so many times!

Brilliant episode! I could watch it 100 times and have the same reaction every time just from the final minutes of the episode!

:)

Do you think it will do the same with a Blu-ray or a DVR? How 'bout those little modern Notebooks (the computers)? Hehe!! Just a bad joke. I always found those superstitions about The B**gieman quite funny. It was sort of like when everyone in the 90's believed that Stephen King really slept with his light on because he was afraid of the things that hid under his bed.

I always found it funny as well :)

Stephen King's books are pretty dang scary, even the ones that aren't really meant to be scary. :roflmao: I can sort of picture strange things happening with him, but I don't believe all the stories I hear either.

Honestly I don't even believe the claims, I receive them as just intriguing tales. Like Sam I'm not superstitious, I don't believe in curses.

Lightning McQueenie said:
But Deborah Pratt reprised her role as Ziggy

Really? That's awesome, so there are project scenes?
I really would have loved more project/waiting room scenes in the series.

Angvee said:
I mean...... I actually though everyone for a moment actually would not watch B******** at all

I've watched it dozens of times it's one of my favorite episodes and on multiple devices with NO malfunctions which is another reason why I don't believe there was a curse. Dean's performance as the devil is one of his best in my opinion.

Really? That's awesome, so there are project scenes?
I really would have loved more project/waiting room scenes in the series.

There most certainly are some project scenes, we also get a (somewhat disturbing) view of how the project may have evolved over the past couple of decades...

Today I was able to have my best friend over to watch 'A Leap to Di For' and it happens to touch on the project in ways that fulfill Angvee's desire for a post-'Mirror Image' portrayal.

Spoiler Alert! (highlight to read)

It makes (a somewhat unsettling) suggestion as to the fate of the project in the several years that passed after the events of 'Mirror Image' with this leap being the first in which they were able to contact Sam again. Though there were some pieces of information that weren't clarified such as how with the project seemingly having been shut down were they able to connect to Sam by use of an artificial Al projection and I didn't completely follow that letter Sam emailed to the project from the Paris hotel. Sammy-Jo's opening scene where she is seen making a plea to the government to re-open the project didn't add up for me entirely, shouldn't the argument that no one from the present is in contact with Sam only feed their suspicion that the whole thing is a hoax? Or am I misunderstanding something? Some of it was a bit hard to follow and on the subject of Sammy-Jo I was not impressed with her casting. She didn't at all look or sound Southern and she shouldn't be a blond...not that light anyway. Abigail had auburn hair and while the child's hair contains several pigments from both parents and possibly even grandparents, darker hair always dominates in genetics.

The Princess Diana story is something I can't comment too much on as I was ten in August of '97 and all I cared about then was Nickolodeon, Disney films and Super Nintendo but the whole Sam exposing himself aspect of it was a bit too heavy and came across as pretty ridiculous. That she was so easily persuaded to consider a future knowledge/time travel claim didn't feel believable and her way of acting against the warning is questionable but I'll let someone who knew what she was actually like inform me. One thing I do know which I think needed some insight here was the fact that it's theorized that her death was NOT an accident.

Also perhaps an expert can answer a curiosity; the change that it turned out Sam did need to make in her life which was convincing her to talk to her children one last time, did the writer do that to give it the Jackie Kennedy treatment? Is that how it actually happened? One thing about that confused me though, she had decided that calling her boys would be giving into fear so how did she come around to doing it anyway?

The one thing missing from her portion of the leap which I actually missed was the after shots of her funeral, actually I'd been expecting a scene where the news is delivered that she'd been in an accident and died but the slideshow would have been just as good and I did like how they did that in the beginning like how 'LHO' opened.

Not to worry, I always tend to get my negative comments out of the way first and now it's time for the positive. I was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed Joshua's Ramsey's performance, I personally really felt him channeling Scott. His tones, expressions and gestures were pretty spot on to how Scott delivers the character of Sam and the fact that they actually gave him the white lock of hair was just epic! The only issue my best friend and I had with him was that they needed to lighten the rest of his hair, it was too dark. He was fantastic though. The casting for Al was so-so, they got a guy with a decent look but his delivery was not as strong as Ramsey's, he didn't give his Al enough energy and it was a bit off putting that he lacked that cigar voice that Dean naturally brought to the role.
I found the character writing and the Meredith story to have been very well done. That had a very classic Quantum Leap feel to it tough it seemed the solution to the strained relationship between her and her father was rushed and squished in there, the focus was a bit too much on Princess Diana when it should have at least been evenly distributed between both tasks if not more to Meredith.

Overall I found it to be pretty well thought out and made.

Today I was able to have my best friend over to watch 'A Leap to Di For' and it happens to touch on the project in ways that fulfill Angvee's desire for a post-'Mirror Image' portrayal.

It makes (a somewhat unsettling) suggestion as to the fate of the project in the several years that passed after the events of 'Mirror Image' with this leap being the first in which they were able to contact Sam again. Though there were some pieces of information that weren't clarified such as how with the project seemingly having been shut down were they able to connect to Sam by use of an artificial Al projection and I didn't completely follow that letter Sam emailed to the project from the Paris hotel. Sammy-Jo's opening scene where she is seen making a plea to the government to re-open the project didn't add up for me entirely, shouldn't the argument that no one from the present is in contact with Sam only feed their suspicion that the whole thing is a hoax? Or am I misunderstanding something? Some of it was a bit hard to follow and on the subject of Sammy-Jo I was not impressed with her casting. She didn't at all look or sound Southern and she shouldn't be a blond...not that light anyway. Abigail had auburn hair and while the child's hair contains several pigments from both parents and possibly even grandparents, darker hair always dominates in genetics.

The Princess Diana story is something I can't comment too much on as I was ten in August of '97 and all I cared about then was Nickolodeon, Disney films and Super Nintendo but the whole Sam exposing himself aspect of it was a bit too heavy and came across as pretty ridiculous. That she was so easily persuaded to consider a future knowledge/time travel claim didn't feel believable and her way of acting against the warning is questionable but I'll let someone who knew what she was actually like inform me. One thing I do know which I think needed some insight here was the fact that it's theorized that her death was NOT an accident.

Also perhaps an expert can answer a curiosity; the change that it turned out Sam did need to make in her life which was convincing her to talk to her children one last time, did the writer do that to give it the Jackie Kennedy treatment? Is that how it actually happened? One thing about that confused me though, she had decided that calling her boys would be giving into fear so how did she come around to doing it anyway?

The one thing missing from her portion of the leap which I actually missed was the after shots of her funeral, actually I'd been expecting a scene where the news is delivered that she'd been in an accident and died but the slideshow would have been just as good and I did like how they did that in the beginning like how 'LHO' opened.

Not to worry, I always tend to get my negative comments out of the way first and now it's time for the positive. I was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed Joshua's Ramsey's performance, I personally really felt him channeling Scott. His tones, expressions and gestures were pretty spot on to how Scott delivers the character of Sam and the fact that they actually gave him the white lock of hair was just epic! The only issue my best friend and I had with him was that they needed to lighten the rest of his hair, it was too dark. He was fantastic though. The casting for Al was so-so, they got a guy with a decent look but his delivery was not as strong as Ramsey's, he didn't give his Al enough energy and it was a bit off putting that he lacked that cigar voice that Dean naturally brought to the role.
I found the character writing and the Meredith story to have been very well done. That had a very classic Quantum Leap feel to it tough it seemed the solution to the strained relationship between her and her father was rushed and squished in there, the focus was a bit too much on Princess Diana when it should have at least been evenly distributed between both tasks if not more to Meredith.

Overall I found it to be pretty well thought out and made.

The project hadn't been shut down, but their funding had been so dramatically cut that the entire project had to scaled down and automated (by computers that were vastly out of date and would crash constantly) with only minimal staff (Sammy Jo to run what was left of the project, someone to look after the leapee, and a computer technician). This is why they were still able to get a fake-Al hologram out to Sam to help him. This is also why Sammy Jo told the committee that once a week a technician would reboot the system. It was during this rebooting that the technician was able to obtain the encrypted letter Sam sent to the project and passed it on to Sammy Jo. As for Sammy Jo's actress, Chris was more concerned with having a solid cast than trying to recreate everything from the original series in great detail.

As for the Jackie Kennedy treatment (or as it's more widely known, the "rubber-band history", as it starts out as a stretch but then springs back to the "correct" timeline), that's exactly what Chris was going for. As for calling the boys, you forget that bravery isn't an absence of fear, it's doing what you think is right even if you are scared of the obstacles in the way. Also love is more powerful than fear, obviously the boys were always on her mind and as such she felt she had to let them know she loved them.

As for having aftermath of her death shown during the ending, I'm sure that might have crossed Chris' mind, but he was doing his best to not be tasteless, and it could easily have been thought of that way. Remember, Diana's death is much more recent in history than the Kennedy Assassination.

Thanks for the answers Lightning, you made complete sense of the things that didn't come across clearly to me but regarding this:

Lightning McQueenie said:
As for calling the boys, you forget that bravery isn't an absence of fear, it's doing what you think is right even if you are scared of the obstacles in the way. Also love is more powerful than fear, obviously the boys were always on her mind and as such she felt she had to let them know she loved them.

My comment there was NOT suggesting that her handling of the situation was invalid but pointing out how the writer presented it. She'd picked up the receiver to call her boys upon Sam's warning but then replaced it in it's cradle with a monologue about how she wanted to be someone for her people who didn't give into fear. That's where my confusion was.

Perhaps the aftermath wasn't necessary but given the opening it would have just made it feel more closed off, plus the use of the Elton John tribute 'Goodbye England's Rose' would have been great but that's copyright stuff so I see where that would have been a hassle. As for Princess Diana being more present than JFK, I know it's crazy but to me and I am sure a good percent of the population it doesn't feel like it and I would have said the same in 2009 when this was made.