A Hunting We Will Go

• Total voters

alsplacebartender

Al's Place Bartender
Staff member
A Hunting We Will Go
June 18, 1976

Various locations in Arkansas

Sam becomes a bounty hunter taking a difficult woman back to the law...or perhaps her death? He has to decipher her stories to find out if she is telling the truth or just making up tall tales to set her free. Al also gives Sam his five stages of love in this episode.

Written by: Beverly Bridges
Directed by: Andy Cadiff

Rate and comment on this episode!

Last edited by a moderator:
This one is kinda funny. Poor Sam; getting beaten up by a woman..No offense to any other women here.
The best quote was when they were on the bus :-
Al: "I can see it in her eyes."
Sam: "You can feel it in your loins, but you can't see it in her eyes." ...or something like that. Either way, it was funny.

I like this episode aswell (Top 15 Episodes like ever!) it's really funny and although the train bit at the ending is a bit cheesy, the one liners are nice. Scott and Jane Sibbet (Diane) must have had a hoot filming this (The barn scene comes to mind!)

Enterprise said:
I like this episode aswell (Top 15 Episodes like ever!) it's really funny and although the train bit at the ending is a bit cheesy, the one liners are nice. Scott and Jane Sibbet (Diane) must have had a hoot filming this (The barn scene comes to mind!)

Jane Sibbett (the fugitive woman) told me that she had a great time filming this episode with Scott! They finally had to bring in rubber handcuffs because they started to make her wrists swollen.

Last edited:
alsplacebartender said:
Jane told me that she had a great time filming this episode with Scott! They finally had to bring in rubber handcuffs because they started to make her wrists swollen.
Cool. I love this episode too, and like Vince said I love the Maxine thing hahaha. I love when she's giving him the back rub and she asks how it feels and while his face is saying "oh yeah that's the spot, oooh that's good."
his mouth said "ehh it's ok."

The beginning always makes me think of something I read in Scott's, I think Sci Fi interview which no longer exsists :p
He said that for the part where he gets slammed into the phonebooth he had a plastic gun strapped to him and the first time thay filmed that scene the plastic gun had dug into his ribcage. So now whenever I see this ep, and Sam getting slammed aganist the phone booth I think "Ssss ouch, poor Scott!":blackeye and then he gets banged around plenty more in the episode.

Last edited:
Watching this episode now there is one thing that bugs me and thats the Bus Driver threatening to throw him off the bus because trouble seems to follow him. Well of course it does dummy he's a damn cop for God's sake he deals with criminals. Its his job to have trouble following him cuz he takes it to jail.:p

I really enjoyed this episode,but no matter how much i enjoyed it i think it was just a bit above average,but i decided it's enough to rank it as a good episode. It seems Scott and jane had a very good Chimestry between them,And i really liked Jane Sibbett charecter and thought she did a great job doing it
But in anyway i think the story was too cheesy and was something we've seen in a lot of other movies/TV shows,before.

I really really didn't like her accent. We don't all sound like that 'round heah! :lol

(People here often accuse me of being a Yankee. My apologies to all Yankees. ;))

Al The Observer said:
I really really didn't like her accent. We don't all sound like that 'round heah! :lol

(People here often accuse me of being a Yankee. My apologies to all Yankees. ;))

I agree with you her Accent was quite annoying,but i didn't want to say anything,because i'm not a "Yankee"/American citizen so i couldn't tell if this Accent is really how's American Sounds(Well at list American from Jane's Charecter - Diane homestate.

The accent is supposed to be Southern American. Here in the South, people call Northerners "Yankees". I understand that outside of the States, people call all Americans "Yankees". So what I meant was that people from where I live (southern USA) often think I'm from the northern USA, due to my accent. There are probably hundreds of different accents from all over the USA. This is one reason I like to travel to new places and meet new people. (I do have a somewhat chameleon accent. I can pick up and keep local accents if I stay somewhere for more than a few days.)

And yes, some people from the South do sound somewhat like Diane, but the accent the actress used sounded forced to me.

I think I may have made that "as clear as mud" as they say. :\

I am a yankee myself and when I was little I had trouble promouncing my Rs it was very minor but people used to think it was a New York accent.

Al The Observer said:
I understand that outside of the States, people call all Americans "Yankees". :\

Actually, it's a subtle distinction, but around here most folks call all Americans "Yanks".

What is the origin of the term anyway, can anyone tell us? asearcher probably can...

The origin of Yankee is relatively uncertain but goes back to the Colonial period. One theory is that it refers to the Dutch surname Janke which was anglicinized as Yankee and came to be a nickname for English speaking Dutch during the Colonial period. Over time it came to be used to describe even non-Dutch colonists.

During the American Revolution, it was used with derision by the British army to refer to the Continental army and those in support of the war. Conversely, the term "Tory" was used with equal derision to describe those who remained loyal to the crown.

As a point of trivia, the population of the thirteen original states can't really be split up into being either a Yankee or a Tory since the population was split pretty much evenly three ways - 1/3 supported the break with the crown, a 1/3 remained loyal, and 1/3 pretty much remained neutral.

Here is Oz, all americans tend to be called Yanks, however I was aware that not all Americans liked being called Yanks. When I was a bit younger we hosted a whole bunch of guys from Santa Ana, they came over as a brass band and we and a whole bunch of other families we knew looked after them. They reacted very coldly when advised Americans were called Yanks, in fact one of them when approached by another american in the street commented rather sourly when finishing the conversation that they other guy had been a 'yankee'.

A far better term for the guys that came here from Santa Ana would have been 'jerks' not 'yanks' cause they all were......... every last one of them.

The term Yankee in the US is regionally used. Generally, anyone from the northeast, particularly New England, is termed a Yankee. During the Civil War, those in the states above the Mason-Dixon Line were termed Yankee, those below were sometimes called Johnny Reb. To some extent, when it comes to Yankee, the distinction still stands today and to term someone outside the Northeast as a Yankee can be seen as somewhat insulting.

jmoniz said:
The term Yankee in the US is regionally used. Generally, anyone from the northeast, particularly New England, is termed a Yankee. During the Civil War, those in the states above the Mason-Dixon Line were termed Yankee, those below were sometimes called Johnny Reb. To some extent, when it comes to Yankee, the distinction still stands today and to term someone outside the Northeast as a Yankee can be seen as somewhat insulting.
Aaaand, of course, here in Boston (Red Sox Nation), there is a world of difference between being a "Yankee" and a "Freakin' Yankee."

This episode made me mad, how Sam was being treated by Diane. After all, she was a habitual lier, and she would throw a man's hat out the window just to achieve her own ends. She may have been trying to do the right thing, and even though she did pay the woman back for the "gun-lighter", taking it out of the store still constitutes stealing. I didn't really like it, and Sam was a lot more patient than I would have been.

Heh. I think that Californians are more or less labeled as hippies and bleeding-heart liberals (at least to my experiences). *sighs*

Lol Im so glad Im not in California LMAO I did like the argument Sam and Al had in the barn that was hilarious LOL

ohboy said:
This episode made me mad, how Sam was being treated by Diane. After all, she was a habitual lier, and she would throw a man's hat out the window just to achieve her own ends. She may have been trying to do the right thing, and even though she did pay the woman back for the "gun-lighter", taking it out of the store still constitutes stealing. I didn't really like it, and Sam was a lot more patient than I would have been.

Yeah, I bet if Diane was male, Sam would have beaten the hell out of her/him.

Like everyone else, I have my favourite episodes and my not so favourite. When I think of this episode I usually think of it in terms of not so favourite. I agree the chemistry bewteen Diane and Sam was great and made for some great scenes. But sometimes it was just a little over the top with what was taking place. I mean, when you're handcuffed to a foot rest in a bus, all the tugging and pulling in the world won't get you loose. So why? And the accent, as you've all comment on, was too forced.

I, too, love the line about Al feeling it in his loins and not seeing it in her eyes.

Watched this episode last night in our marathon through all 95 episodes of Quantum Leap (in the span of about a week, we've gotten this far -- kind of amazing considering my work schedule).

Diane was incredibly grating -- possibly one of the most grating "protagonists" we've had to deal with thusfar. And I didn't really see the chemistry everyone else saw -- perhaps because I find her immaturity to be such a massive turn-off; the makeout session in their hotel seemed forced. And that alone was a big part of the reason why I didn't enjoy this episode.

I really liked Al's jacket and his shirt this episode. I just wish I could find his obnoxious STOP SIGN shirt from the previous episode (and in another episode earlier in the series -- I know I saw it before); that's probably my favorite Al jacket thusfar.

A little silly, but a funny episode. They probably had a lot of fun filming this. Al was definitely in good form, comparing Diane to his fifth wife. :roflmao: The next episode, "Last Dance" was pretty intense, so maybe part of the idea here was to have an episode that was more lighthearted before the one where Sam nearly dies in the electric chair.

I do get why the way Diane was treating Sam would be disturbing, but as was pointed out, if Diane had been a guy, Sam probably would have just beat the crap out of him and been done with it. Sam didn't beat up women; he didn't beat up anyone unless he had to.

Last edited:
Watching this episode now there is one thing that bugs me and thats the Bus Driver threatening to throw him off the bus because trouble seems to follow him. Well of course it does dummy he's a damn cop for God's sake he deals with criminals. Its his job to have trouble following him cuz he takes it to jail.:p

Bounty hunters aren't cops. In some states, they don't even have any particular formal training or have to be licensed. They are hired by bail bondsmen to re-arrest bail jumpers.

It's hard to watch this episode and not see Jane Sibbet as Carol from Friends. I did enjoy the humor, although at times it was a bit absurd, like on the train when she's struggling to break free of the handcuffs and nobody around her seems to be paying any attention.

This was a very good episode throughout. Funny in a lot of places. I noticed that some of the directing was a bit bad, especially when it came to some 'action' sequences like getting hit or the fighting scenes (Cliff Bemis's [?] acting was very good up until that final confrontation), but that's probably because Andy Cadiff didn't know how to execute them well (another ep. where this is so evident is "Glitter Rock", directed by the same guy and, again, all the action scenes looked so fake it was hard not to notice them). Another sort of a letdown was the character of Diane. I liked her a lot and she was so funny and most of the time I simpatized with her but there were a couple of moments were she was just so annoying and immature. Either way, those things were not so important and I still enjoyed this installment a lot. Nothing great by all means but quite entertaining. And for me this is just like a transition between Glitter Rock and the very next great episode Last Dance... Wasn't ever too crazy about Al's Maxine little story.

Some favorite parts were when the bus driver tells the bad cops about one of the rules from the regulation book, when Diane tells Sam she wants to sleep on the floor and Sam just puts her on the floor but she's still tied up to the chair, when Sam shows up after Diane on the street and he's still handcuffed but with the broken wood and Diane tells him that he's the bounty-hunter from hell and the very ending of the ep.

My rating: Good.