Quantum Leap Movie Cancelled - Bring it Back!

alsplacebartender

Al's Place Bartender
Staff member
I have heard rumor from a credible source that the script Deborah Pratt was shopping around Hollywood and had found financial backing for was shot down by Don Bellisario this week.

I was under the impression that Universal Studios owned all rights to Quantum, so I'm not sure how this could happen. I am waiting to hear from Deborah on this, but it looks to be true.

Sorry I am the bearer of bad news. When I have more info that I can share, I'll get it out here.

Man this sucks. It reminds me of the long rumored ghostbusters 3. It is always off again on again. Quit playing with our hopes and hearts Universal!!! Don't you realize that a new Quantum Leap movie, show anything would be a financial gain for you rather than a loss. At least we still got "A Leap to Di For" Maybe that will give universal the kick in the pants it deserves. :banghead :banghead :banghead :censored :censored :realmad :realmad :realmad

Can we all send a letter to the people who want to shut it down and beg to keep it going? like how people do when a series is cancelled to bring it back.

Do we know what objections Don had?
Is it the particular script that Deborah proposed, or the idea of a movie in general, or is it something more personal against Deborah's involvement because of their history?

If we had some idea what the problem was we'd have a better chance of trying to persuade him to change his mind.

Well if won't get an answer 'till march 2009 we can ask Deborah Pratt or Harriet Margulies about it during "The leap Back" convention.

I got confirmation today from Deborah Pratt that the movie has been officially cancelled. The reason she had to stop working on the movie is that Don Bellisario legally stopped her. She does not really know why.

If you want to find out, then fire off some letters, a phone call, or even a fax to Bellisario.

Why he has done this is a mystery. It's like he doesn't want Quantum Leap to come back. Let him know your disappointment and ask him to reconsider!

It had nothing to do with the script, as there is no script - only an extensive treatment (outline).

We're the only ones who can make Don see what the fans want now. Let him know.

Donald P. Bellisario
c/o Sunset Gower Studios
1438 N. Gower St., Box 25, Bldg. 35, 4th Fl.
Los Angeles, CA 90028
USA

Phn: 323-468-4500
Fax: 323-468-4599

This is a sad day for Quantum.

This is really unbelievable, yet again all hopes are dashed. I'm going to put a positive view forward. Is it possible that Don B is proposing his own idea for a movie or series and wants to stop Deborah P claiming any rights to 'his' franchise?

It is clear to me that the only person that can now resume QL is Don B or a studio which has the input or backing of Don B. I have no doubt that in the current time when shows of the past are being resurrected, now is the time to do something. Look at the recent series Reaper-based on the ideals of QL and the recent movie 'Leapers'. If only Don B could wake up and see the potential. I will certainly be sending a letter, it worked in the past and it will work now.

Regards

That’s sad to hear, but knowing the way La-La land is, it didn’t surprise me to hear this. I’m honestly surprised it got as far as it did.

In subtle defense of DPB, I can say that a certain property or theme can get old after time. More than likely, he washed his hands of it when he walked away from it in ’93. At least that’s my assumption. But who really knows. Continuing along with my assumptions, something would have to re-ignite his interest and passion in QL to really get this thing off the launch pad. At least that’s from a producer’s point of view. (Hint Hint Universal, throw some cash at him!)

But as a fan…

It’s disappointing to say the least. From a story perspective, there was a lot of gas left in the tank.

Chris

This is strictly an assumption on my part, but perhaps there's still some bad blood between Don and Deborah, and he did it out of spite. Again, this is just my take on it, and I really hope that it's not the case, but it could be possible.

Eleiece

Sherdran said:
This is strictly an assumption on my part, but perhaps there's still some bad blood between Don and Deborah, and he did it out of spite.

That's a possibility. Or it might be that DPB feels strongly that QL is his creation, and if he's not going to write a movie, nobody is. Or it could be something else.

I hope that if people do contact him, they do it in a calm, responsible way and don't just vent anger at him. Getting angry won't help at all.

You can always look at it this way--most TV remake movies are terrible, especially from a fan's point of view. I thought we had a good chance with Deborah Pratt, but still, it wouldn't be the QL that we remember.

Definitely do not attack Don or try to purposefully upset him - that would not be a good thing for our cause at all.

I spoke to Deborah on the phone tonight and got a little more detail on what is happening. Don has the rights to remake a pilot episode of the series. A few years ago Deborah pitched the idea for her movie, but Don said he was going to try and relaunch the series. This is when we heard about Trey Callaway's script and the Sci-Fi channel planning on the new series. That fell through for one reason or another. So Deborah pitched the movie again - even asked Don to be involved, but Don didn't want to. Reasons unknown. But this is not a remake - it's a continuation. And it's not a tv series - it's a movie, so it is questionable on who has the rights to do what right now.

Deborah has a backer of up to 25 million to produce the movie and Universal was onboard. Don sent a letter by way of his lawyer to the financial backer telling them to stop (I think this is how she worded it).

So now Deborah has backed off the project until it all gets sorted out and is in the middle of development of the third Vision Quest novel (which is a great series!!). You can still write Don if you want at the address above, but another good place to write is the President of Universal Studios, Ron Meyer and the President of Production, Donna Langly.

Ron Meyer and Donna Langly
c/o Universal Studios, Inc.
100 Universal City Plaza
Universal City, CA 91608-1002

Phone:
Ron Meyer 818-777-1000
Donna Langly 818-777-1000

Get out the pens and paper, people and/or call! We can make this happen. Get the word out - tell them you want this movie! Don't sit there and say, "yeah I'll write tomorrow." Write today! Drop it in the mailbox now!

It CAN be saved. We the fans need to give it a push! We did it before when NBC moved us to Friday nights - let's do it again and get this movie made!

Snish said:
You can always look at it this way--most TV remake movies are terrible, especially from a fan's point of view. I thought we had a good chance with Deborah Pratt, but still, it wouldn't be the QL that we remember.

Actually, it probably would be great. It was not going to be a remake. It was going to be a continuation. She had plans to put Scott and Dean in the movie along with Jennifer Garner and Queen Latifa (if they accepted the roles)! She is doing this for the fans - she loves the show and loves us. It's amazing to know that someone so close to the show still genuinely wants to bring it back to the loyal fans.

I went and found some other TV forums that talk about QL and put the address over there. The more fans the better.
Bonnie

I just sent letter to Mr. Bellisario via a fax and I urge everyone on this site and everyone who knows someone who loves Quantum Leap as much as we all do to do the same. Brian is right. We did it once before and got a positive Response and got the show back on Wednsday nights. We can do the same thing again and get Quantum Leap back up and running so we all can get the resolution to our favorite show we all deserve. I did my part and now it is up to the rest of you.
Keep the Leap alive.:leap :leap :leappark :leappark

Indiana Leaper said:
I have posted my letter and I hope it will reach them. Will it make a difference? I don't know but I figure its worth the postage.:)

Every little bit helps. You would be surprised how many times writing letters to companies have made things happen. Take Sliders for instance... It got cancelled twice by FOX and the fans complained about it and it got renewed both times. Once by FOX themselves and then by SCI/FI.

I shall get writing right away on a letter.

We kept Quantum Leap alive after they considered canceling it after season three. If we really try we can do this.

If we get the get go for a possible movie again maybe we could all pitch in and start up a page for it? People have been doing this for other things they want made into movies or series so there's no reason we can't try either.

If we can get it going I hope we can get Dean Stockwell and Scott Bakula for their characters.

Man, I wish I had the 'net at home right now. It'd be hard to try to revive the QL Revival Initiative when I don't have instant access... If I can get back online soon, then I'll try to do something. In the meantime, keep on sending those letters! I don't care if we get a theatrical movie, a TV movie, a miniseries, or a TV show, as long as Sam gets home. That's all I'm concerned about. Bring Sam home and reunite him with his best friend Al and his wife Donna and all will be good in the world.

:D

Joy

Last edited:
Wow... I drop off the face of the earth for a few months, and this happens! Count on my letter, as soon as I calm down enough to write something rational and not use impolite words.

Hey Joy! Heya Brian!

Yeah, I've been living in Independence about a year now! Just wonderful!

Haven't had my karaoke site up for over a few years... sorry about the loss of the avatars and such!

I wish I COULD make it to the convention. (Can't get that kind of time off at work!).

I never did buy the DVDs after season one after hearing how crappy they were made!

INTERESTING about the loss of the Deborah Pratt movie!