Frequency of Years Sam Leaps into...

Stakker

Project QL Intern
Jul 12, 2011
London, England
I always felt that QL favoured the late 50s and early 60s, so made a quick graph and table to show the frequency of years in which Sam leaped.

attachment.php

As you can see, 1957 and 1963 are the top years. 1963 is skewed because of the 4 leaps in one episode, Lee Harvey Oswald.

The totals in order, are below:

attachment.php

Attachments

• QL.jpg
    QL.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 61
  • table.bmp
    191.8 KB · Views: 61
Very cool. I see there were no leaps in the years 1973, 1977, 1984 and 1986, or beyond 1987 (aside from "The Leap Back," in 1999).

I had always wondered if Don Bellisario and Deborah Pratt had a chart of their own to make sure they touched upon every single year in the past at some point (not counting the near future). It doesn't look like it, judging from those missing years.

Very cool. I see there were no leaps in the years 1973, 1977, 1984 and 1986, or beyond 1987 (aside from "The Leap Back," in 1999).

I had always wondered if Don Bellisario and Deborah Pratt had a chart of their own to make sure they touched upon every single year in the past at some point (not counting the near future). It doesn't look like it, judging from those missing years.

Weird, I didn't notice that, but that's mine and both my two brother's birth years covered. 1973, 1977 and 1984.

I think that the peak of American civilisation was probably the 50s and early 60s, when the lead it had over the rest of the world was the widest it's ever been. Perhaps this 'Golden Age' reverberates well with DPB and that's why he likes using it.

I think that the peak of American civilisation was probably the 50s and early 60s, when the lead it had over the rest of the world was the widest it's ever been. Perhaps this 'Golden Age' reverberates well with DPB and that's why he likes using it.

I agree. Plus, it's as far back as he can go without breaking one of his 5 rules he set for the series. Also, setting a lot of the stories in those decades allows some of the episodes to kind of be a history lesson ("Nuclear Family" comes to mind), since a good majority of the audience wasn't around in those times.

It seems funny how little he leaps into the 1980s. I guess, of course, the show is about time-traveling, and at the time the 80's would have been fairly modern. Still, I think you're right in that there's a lot to cover for such an interesting period in American history.

One small error with the leap frequency bar chart..

Sam leaped into 1971 on three occasions,not once.
(A Portrait for Troian,Promised Land & Last Dance Before An Execution)

'Her Charm' was from 1973 which is also missing from the bar-chart.