Go Back   Al's Place Quantum Leap Online Community >
Main Quantum Leap Discussions
> Quantum Leap General Discussion

Old 02-06-2013, 11:53 PM   #26
QL Nut
Project Observer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightning McQueenie
I think DPB understands the episode better than anyone else.

Personally, I see Mirror Image as Quantum Leap's version of "The Wizard of Oz". First of all, the entire leap is inside Sam's own head, just as Dorothy's trip had been. Nearly everyone Sam sees reminds him of someone he's met before (Tonchi and Pete/Frank and Jimmy, Ziggy/Captain Galaxy, the two boys outside fixing the bike/the children fathered by the bigamist) - like the Scarecrow, Tin Man and Cowardly Lion being identical to Dorothy's family's farm hands. There is an ambiguous guide (Al the bartender) who is similar to Glinda, giving just enough information for Sam to get through while really pulling the strings. Sam needs to go on a quest (saving the miners and figuring out the leap himself) and finally learns that he could have and can still go home at any time, just like Dorothy did.
I tried to make an analogy some time ago between this episode and the film "Mr. Destiny," but not as good as this one.
Old 03-05-2013, 12:37 PM   #27
DVMPE-Dave_The_Klone
PQL Visitor

I absolutely LOVE the series finale...that said, I am completely frustrated by it. I think watching it again recently, having experienced the recent evolution of serialized sci-fi/drama, I was able to digest what was happening differently than when the episode had originally aired. Back then, we revered the writers of television shows as geniuses with all the answers. These days, we know that's not so much the case. (Look at LOST as the best example.)

One thing to keep in mind, and this was confirmed by Mr. Bakula at Comic Con in Philly (2012), is that when production began, this episode wasn't intended to be the series finale. I think it was shaping up to be a season finale that setup a final story-arc for the series, so all of the ambiguity makes a lot of sense. Leaving the audience hungry for the answers that will come next season.

Mirror Image was Sam's first experience where the powers behind the phenomenon were starting to make themselves apparent to him. Al...not Calavicci...reminded me a lot of "The Architect" in The Matrix: Reloaded. Let's say he's the "God" character for the series...he guides Sam along through the episode like a parent would guide a child learning to ride a bike. At the end of the episode, Sam's truly good nature and dedication to his friends, bolstered by watching Strapo (?) complete his leap-journey, cause him to leap back to help Al...this time Calavicci...be reunited with his wife.

Stand-alone, it's a great final action for us to see before we come back for a final season of new leap-adventures. For it to be the final leap-action we see, it leaves us with a couple concepts to consider...

1 - Sam controlled this leap...he chose the destination and knew exactly what he needed to do when he got there.
2 - This would've served as the first in the final series of Leaps, so Sam is honing his ability and learning to control his destiny
3 - If Sam chose to continue leaping when he could've chose to leap home instead of to see Al Calavicci's wife, we can also imagine that his want to do right, to keep fixing things that once went wrong, led him on a never-ending adventure. You can't fix one moment in time without the ripple-effect touching other moments in time, Al...not Calavicci explains this to Sam in Mirror Image.

I think the whole point of the episode is that Sam is being made into somewhat of a Christ-figure, and the key is that Sam is doing so of his own free will. Hence, "God bless, Sam."

-Dave "The Klone"

Check out our TV Resurrection Podcast episode covering the Quantum Leap Series. www.dvmpe.com Records tonight, 3/5/13, at 8:30pm EST.