Old 08-25-2007, 08:31 PM   #1
Sam Beckett Fan
Senior Leaper
 
Sam Beckett Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: USA
Posts: 2,824
Default Candle on the Water

Hey everyone. A long time ago I posted an image in the smiles section but I think its better suited here now.

Here is the original thread where the image was desplayed
http://www.quantumleap-alsplace.com/...ead.php?t=2589

I have just today given this peice a massive makeover in photoshop so it looks a lot better. I mean it still could use some work but compare it to the original crappy powerpoint version and you can see the major improvement.



Currently now my mission is to learn to draw. I want to be a good as my dad was, and one of our members Laurence is. I would love to be able to draw Sam as an angel, cuz in a sense he is because of what he does.
__________________

-=-=-=-=-
Icon made by the lovely Ladystoneheart with the beautiful screen captures of StrayStar.
Signature made by me.
My QL screen capture collection: http://s1366.photobucket.com/user/Sa...?sort=3&page=1
Sam Beckett Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 04:14 AM   #2
Bexter
Observer's Aid
 
Bexter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Western Australia
Posts: 687
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Beckett Fan
Currently now my mission is to learn to draw. I want to be a good as my dad was, and one of our members Laurence is. I would love to be able to draw Sam as an angel, cuz in a sense he is because of what he does.
Hey, I really like this, it has a sort of 'dreamy' quality.

About the drawing - here's a tip that you probably already know but great for beginners, if you are copying a picture of someone or something, turn the picture upside down and then draw it upside down, then when you turn it right way up you'll be amazed at how much better it is than you expected. I used to draw a lot but don't have time at the moment and I always did this and my drawings turn out way better. The reason is, you draw what you see and not what you think you see!!! I am looking forward to the day I can get my pencils and sketch pad back out and have another go.
__________________

Bexter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 05:34 AM   #3
Al The Observer
Observer's Aid
 
Al The Observer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: ALabama
Posts: 677
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bexter
About the drawing - here's a tip that you probably already know but great for beginners, if you are copying a picture of someone or something, turn the picture upside down and then draw it upside down, then when you turn it right way up you'll be amazed at how much better it is than you expected. I used to draw a lot but don't have time at the moment and I always did this and my drawings turn out way better. The reason is, you draw what you see and not what you think you see!!!
I once had an art teacher who had us do this. It seemed to work for everyone else, but I had a problem with it: I can read upside down. Whether something is right side up or upside down, I see the same thing. It comes in handy sometimes, but in art, I found it to be a handicap.
__________________
--*- **- *- -* - **- --
*-** * *- *--*
Al The Observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 01:23 PM   #4
Sam Beckett Fan
Senior Leaper
 
Sam Beckett Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: USA
Posts: 2,824
Default

Thanx for the tip Bexter. That seems difficult though.
__________________

-=-=-=-=-
Icon made by the lovely Ladystoneheart with the beautiful screen captures of StrayStar.
Signature made by me.
My QL screen capture collection: http://s1366.photobucket.com/user/Sa...?sort=3&page=1
Sam Beckett Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 02:37 AM   #5
Bexter
Observer's Aid
 
Bexter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Western Australia
Posts: 687
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Beckett Fan
Thanx for the tip Bexter. That seems difficult though.
Yes you'd think so wouldn't you! But, I was always amazed at how much better my pictures turned out. Your mind plays tricks on you when you look at a familiar shape, so by making it unfamiliar means your mind doesn't mislead you as much.
__________________

Bexter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 02:42 AM   #6
Bexter
Observer's Aid
 
Bexter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Western Australia
Posts: 687
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al The Observer
I once had an art teacher who had us do this. It seemed to work for everyone else, but I had a problem with it: I can read upside down. Whether something is right side up or upside down, I see the same thing. It comes in handy sometimes, but in art, I found it to be a handicap.
Not a bad skill though, being able to read upside down that is!!! I can see that it could come in handy sometimes. A variation on the turn the picutre upside down technique I guess could be cover part of it and just copy it a bit at a time. One day I'll give that a try too and let you know how I go, but don't hold your breath, I don't think I'll have time to draw again until kiddies are grown up and ones only 2.5 yrs, so you may be waiting a while.
__________________

Bexter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 12:00 PM   #7
Snish
Observer's Aid
 
Snish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Cocono's in the Poconos
Posts: 642
Default

This is totally off-topic, but Bexter, I just want to say that I've really been enjoying reading your banners! They're hilarious. Congratulations on your progress!
__________________
Snish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 03:13 PM   #8
leaper1
PQL Security Staff
 
leaper1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Bedford, England
Posts: 2,577
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snish
This is totally off-topic, but Bexter, I just want to say that I've really been enjoying reading your banners! They're hilarious. Congratulations on your progress!
yeah ditto to what Snish says - I love your off the wall humor Bex.

(Oh and tell me your secret - I've hit a plateau and can't seem to lose any more. Even without the chocolate I gave up years ago.)
__________________

Your talent is God's gift to you. What you do with it is your gift back to God.(Leo Buscaglia) Helen in Bedford
leaper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 07:21 PM   #9
Bexter
Observer's Aid
 
Bexter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Western Australia
Posts: 687
Default

Thanks guys, please refer to off topic forum for reply.
__________________

Bexter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 09:03 PM   #10
Sam Beckett Fan
Senior Leaper
 
Sam Beckett Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: USA
Posts: 2,824
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bexter
Yes you'd think so wouldn't you! But, I was always amazed at how much better my pictures turned out. Your mind plays tricks on you when you look at a familiar shape, so by making it unfamiliar means your mind doesn't mislead you as much.
I think some teacher in Elementary school might have made us do that once, I know we had to draw a show with our non-dominant hand and whoo-wee you should have seen my monstrosity, although it was not far from my real drawing skills. :P
__________________

-=-=-=-=-
Icon made by the lovely Ladystoneheart with the beautiful screen captures of StrayStar.
Signature made by me.
My QL screen capture collection: http://s1366.photobucket.com/user/Sa...?sort=3&page=1
Sam Beckett Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 09:45 PM   #11
Bexter
Observer's Aid
 
Bexter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Western Australia
Posts: 687
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Beckett Fan
I think some teacher in Elementary school might have made us do that once, I know we had to draw a show with our non-dominant hand and whoo-wee you should have seen my monstrosity, although it was not far from my real drawing skills. :P
Whats Elementary school? Is that PP - Year 6 like our Primary?

I don't think I could do ANYTHING with my non dominant hand least of all draw!
__________________

Bexter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 09:57 PM   #12
Al The Observer
Observer's Aid
 
Al The Observer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: ALabama
Posts: 677
Default

Elementary School = Grammar School

Kindergarten through 5th grade. In other words, ages 5 through 10 or so.
__________________
--*- **- *- -* - **- --
*-** * *- *--*
Al The Observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 10:35 PM   #13
JuliaM
Project Observer
 
JuliaM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 820
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al The Observer
Elementary School = Grammar School

Kindergarten through 5th grade. In other words, ages 5 through 10 or so.
Well, that would depend on where you are. The grammar school I went to in Cambridge, MA was K-8; in Somerville, MA it was K-7 (now K-8 ) and in Medford it was K-6 (yes, I moved a bit as a child). Different school systems have different ways of breaking it down. Both Somerville and Medford had junior high schools but Cambridge didn't. Oddly enough I never "graduated" from junior high. At the time I was in the Somerville school system and their junior high was grades 8 & 9. I chose to go to a private high school that began with grade 9 so I never "graduated" from junior high.
__________________
JuliaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 11:13 PM   #14
Sam Beckett Fan
Senior Leaper
 
Sam Beckett Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: USA
Posts: 2,824
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al The Observer
Elementary School = Grammar School

Kindergarten through 5th grade. In other words, ages 5 through 10 or so.
Yes Elementary school is grades k through at least 5 sometimes six and I am recently learning even eight. Mine was through five. Both of mine...I moved before fourth grade and had to transfer schools.

Sorry for the confusion, I forget schools are different in other countries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bexter
I don't think I could do ANYTHING with my non dominant hand least of all draw!
I can actually write my name very nicely with my left hand(non dominant for me). But that's about it.
__________________

-=-=-=-=-
Icon made by the lovely Ladystoneheart with the beautiful screen captures of StrayStar.
Signature made by me.
My QL screen capture collection: http://s1366.photobucket.com/user/Sa...?sort=3&page=1
Sam Beckett Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 11:15 PM   #15
Al The Observer
Observer's Aid
 
Al The Observer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: ALabama
Posts: 677
Default

I am ambidextrous, and I constantly forget which is left and which is right.
__________________
--*- **- *- -* - **- --
*-** * *- *--*
Al The Observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 05:15 AM   #16
Bexter
Observer's Aid
 
Bexter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Western Australia
Posts: 687
Default

Wow the whole school systems sounds so confusing!! Ours used to be really easy Primary School K-7 High School 8-12. Its heading down the totally confusing path now, the powers that be are trying to change it to model on the American system.
__________________

Bexter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 07:00 PM   #17
Al The Observer
Observer's Aid
 
Al The Observer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: ALabama
Posts: 677
Default

Now, in this area, there are four levels of schooling! Elementary: Kindergarten through Second Grade; Intermediate: Third Grade through Fifth Grade; Middle: Sixth Grade through Eighth Grade; and High School: Ninth Grade through Twelfth Grade.

I recently spoke with a local Kindergarten teacher, who said she didn't know many of the teachers at her school. In fact, she said there are thirteen different Kindergarten classes at that school! And she implied that the same held true for First and Second Grades, as well!
__________________
--*- **- *- -* - **- --
*-** * *- *--*
Al The Observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 07:12 PM   #18
JuliaM
Project Observer
 
JuliaM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 820
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bexter
Wow the whole school systems sounds so confusing!! Ours used to be really easy Primary School K-7 High School 8-12. Its heading down the totally confusing path now, the powers that be are trying to change it to model on the American system.
*LOL* If they're going to model it on the American system, that ought to be interesting. As you can see, here in the states, school systems vary from place to place.
__________________
JuliaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 09:30 PM   #19
Sam Beckett Fan
Senior Leaper
 
Sam Beckett Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: USA
Posts: 2,824
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al The Observer
Now, in this area, there are four levels of schooling! Elementary: Kindergarten through Second Grade; Intermediate: Third Grade through Fifth Grade; Middle: Sixth Grade through Eighth Grade; and High School: Ninth Grade through Twelfth Grade.

I recently spoke with a local Kindergarten teacher, who said she didn't know many of the teachers at her school. In fact, she said there are thirteen different Kindergarten classes at that school! And she implied that the same held true for First and Second Grades, as well!
Wow back when I was an Elemenrary kid, It was K-5 (sometimes 6 school dependent) is Elementary school, 6-8 is Middle school or Junior High, and 9-12 is High school. It's still the same pretty much, its just the Elementary levels that are now changing like crazy. my cousin goes to a school where they move much faster than I knew schools to be back in my day. Her math homework shocked me once, they are doing gemoetry stuff. She is in fourth grade now, and in my day I was just learning long devision and order of oporation. not to mention up until now(I saw it on my city Calender) I had ever heard of Elementary school going on till 8th grade. sheesh.
__________________

-=-=-=-=-
Icon made by the lovely Ladystoneheart with the beautiful screen captures of StrayStar.
Signature made by me.
My QL screen capture collection: http://s1366.photobucket.com/user/Sa...?sort=3&page=1
Sam Beckett Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:25 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2000 - 2016 Al's Place Quantum Leap Fan Site | 4.8.15.16.23.42