Old 07-11-2011, 01:37 AM   #26
Al's Handlink
Project Observer

I just watched this for the first time, and I have to say, I liked it. Here is one way to look at it. We all know that the future for Quantum Leap was 1999, which is now long since our past. I look at Source Code as possibly being an Alternate reality.

What if, when Sam was lost in the timeline, the Goverment comes in and Militarizes the Project. They would have 11 years to fix the project so they could send a leaper wherever and whenever they want. Then, choose a new Leaper with nothing to lose and you have Source Code, complete with a Scott Bakula "Oh Boy" during a phone conversation.

Just a thought. But I have to say, it was enough like Quantum Leap to hold me over for a while.
Al's Handlink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 12:10 AM   #27
alsplacebartender
Al's Place Bartender

Finally saw this on DVD tonight.

Great movie! I picked Scott Bakula's voice out right away over the phone call. Reminded me so much of the Pilot episode where Sam calls his Dad. Except this time, Scott is the Dad.

Worth watching, Leapers!

Now, why is Quantum Leap not on the big screen? If we can get the Smurfs going to New York, surely QL deserves a shot.

Brian Greene
Al's Place Bartender
alsplacebartender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 11:48 PM   #28
QL Nut
Project Observer

I still haven't gotten a chance to see this, but until I read this thread I thought this was just another time-travel movie, somewhat similar to Déjà Vu, but had no idea it used QL's plot device. But if Scott's cool with it, so am I.

Another interesting little QL connection is that director Duncan Jones' father, David Bowie, used to have the stage name Ziggy Stardust.
Old 08-30-2011, 10:33 PM   #29
QL Nut
Project Observer

Well, oddly enough, this just showed up in the mail through Netflix the other day so I finally got a chance to watch it.

I thought it was a good movie and definitely an unconventional take on the typical time-travel film. I love that it acknowledged the "parallel timeline/universe" theory that counteracts paradoxes. However, I thought I understood it until the end, where I was left a bit confused.

It's without a doubt a mix of Quantum Leap, Déjà Vu, and I'd say even a little bit of Groundhog Day.

And of course I recognized Scott Bakula's part and the "oh, boy" line which I couldn't help but go, "there's Scott!!"
Old 09-16-2011, 03:48 AM   #30
leaper1
PQL Security Staff

Default Source Code on the small screen

Just picked this up via Twitter this morning...

http://chevronone.com/tv/source-code...-small-screen/

http://www.sfx.co.uk/2011/09/16/sour...the-tv-series/

Your talent is God's gift to you. What you do with it is your gift back to God.(Leo Buscaglia) Helen in Bedford

Last edited by leaper1; 09-16-2011 at 04:12 AM. Reason: Additional information
leaper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 05:49 PM   #31
leaper1
PQL Security Staff

Thanks to Em for this further reference...
http://www.totalfilm.com/news/source...come-tv-series

I think someone wants to point out similarities to QL!!!

Your talent is God's gift to you. What you do with it is your gift back to God.(Leo Buscaglia) Helen in Bedford
Old 03-16-2013, 11:10 PM   #32
Lightning McQueenie
Project Observer

Wait, they're making Source Code into a TV series? Why am I only reading about this a year and a half later? Have any episodes been shown yet?
Old 03-18-2013, 06:59 PM   #33
leaper
Control Room Technician

yeah and now i can guess the last episode of the series in 5 years time from now
HE NEVER RETURNED HOME oh boy
Old 01-21-2014, 03:18 AM   #34
Nytrydr
Waiting Room Visitor

Default Late to the Party

I seem to be the last dude on the planet to see this, and massive QL fan thought I consider myself to be, I'm ashamed to say that while I kept looking for Scott and telling my wife "This is totally Quantum Leap" I did not recognise Scott's voice on the phone. However the whole story with the dad and the phonecall to him were lifted straight from the (correct me someone) second episode or the end of Pilot, and I loved the "Oh Boy" line so much I nearly peed my pants. All that was missing was the "not my face in the mirrir" sound effect (you know you can hear it right now in your head). I wondered if it would have killed them to have the "Goodwin" character played by, say, a charismatic older chap with a penchant for cigars and loud shirts?

However, if there are any Dr Who fans out there, I wondered if you felt Dr Who's introduction of Clara "Osgood Oswin" was perhaps a bltant rip off of this earlier work (Source code, not QL). When I saw the souffle girl episode I loved it, thought it was original and excellent but now I have a bad taste in my mouth to think they just pinched it from the "capsule" scenes in SourceCode.

Last word on SourceCode (which again, I really very much enjoyed) was that the whole "who is the bomber" thing was incredibly obvious to anyone with half a brain or who ever saw a time travel story before" which slightly killed the suspense, in my opinion, anyway.
Old 01-21-2014, 03:00 PM   #35
leaper1
PQL Security Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nytrydr View Post
I seem to be the last dude on the planet to see this, and massive QL fan thought I consider myself to be, I'm ashamed to say that while I kept looking for Scott and telling my wife "This is totally Quantum Leap" I did not recognise Scott's voice on the phone. However the whole story with the dad and the phonecall to him were lifted straight from the (correct me someone) second episode or the end of Pilot, and I loved the "Oh Boy" line so much I nearly peed my pants. All that was missing was the "not my face in the mirrir" sound effect (you know you can hear it right now in your head). I wondered if it would have killed them to have the "Goodwin" character played by, say, a charismatic older chap with a penchant for cigars and loud shirts?

However, if there are any Dr Who fans out there, I wondered if you felt Dr Who's introduction of Clara "Osgood Oswin" was perhaps a bltant rip off of this earlier work (Source code, not QL). When I saw the souffle girl episode I loved it, thought it was original and excellent but now I have a bad taste in my mouth to think they just pinched it from the "capsule" scenes in SourceCode.

Last word on SourceCode (which again, I really very much enjoyed) was that the whole "who is the bomber" thing was incredibly obvious to anyone with half a brain or who ever saw a time travel story before" which slightly killed the suspense, in my opinion, anyway.
Nope, you're not the last. I've had it on dvd in my collection for absolutely ages but I'm ashamed to say I still haven't gotten around to watching it.
Must confess from all I've heard I have some misgivings about watching it and being disappointed. I loved the soufflé girl ep too.