Question about invisibility option

Sherdran

Project QL Intern
May 6, 2004
Louisiana
Under "My Settings" there is the Invisible mode option that allows you to browse the forums without appearing in the 'Currently Active Users' lists.

However, when I selected that option, and then checked the "Currently Active Users'" list, I see my name with a * beside it. At first I assumed this was just for my benefit, and that no one else could see my name on the list. Again....however, I also see that Al's Chick has 2 * which, I assume, is meant to indicate that she, too, is invisible.

I'm not the most computer savvy person in the world, so could someone please explain to me exactly how the "Invisibility Mode" is supposed to work.

Thanks.

Eleiece

So if I choose to go invisible, besides the admins, I'm the only one who will see my name with * beside it. Okay, I think that's simple enough for me to grasp. :)

Thanks.

E.

RE: Invisibility option

Below is a portion of a post I made on December 5,2 005:

Under "My Settings" there is the Invisible mode option that allows you to browse the forums without appearing in the 'Currently Active Users' lists. ...

Well, now....*sigh*... in the last 24 hours the problem has acquired a new wrinkle - now the system won't allow me to log OUT!

I've tried logging out on the main messageboard - nada.

I've gone into the VS messageboard and tried logging out there - zero.

I've reviewed "Options" under My Settings - zip
(This is highly unlikely; the last time I made any changes was regarding the December 5, 2005 post.)

I've tried closing my browser and waiting a few minutes and then reopening it - zilch

I've even tried rebooting my computer - zippo

Nothing works! I'm to the point of :banghead And I really don't like doing that - gives me a headache dontcha know.

As I've said before, when it comes to computers and things online I may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer or the brightest bulb in the lamp. So, would somebody who knows what's what about this sort of thing :help me, please? :banghead is hard on my head and I'm outta aspirins! :roflmao:

Thanks.

-------
Eleiece

Granted that I have never used the Invisibilty Mode (or even heard of it until now) I have an idea/suggestion. Have you tried becoming visible again before trying to log out? You probably have, but thats the only thing i can think of.

Samantha Beckett

Samantha_Beckett said:
Granted that I have never used the Invisibilty Mode (or even heard of it until now) I have an idea/suggestion. Have you tried becoming visible again before trying to log out? You probably have, but thats the only thing i can think of.

Samantha Beckett

Tried it....... didn't work, but thanks for the suggestion :)

Eleiece

I changed your setting manually from here to visible. Try to log out now. Also, try to erase the cookie in your cookies folder if that didn't work. Cookies can sometimes corrupt on their own, and deleting them will help fix the problem usually. If you're using windows, just go to the WINDOWS/Cookies folder and delete all cookies (I think).

In Windows XP:
To delete a cookie

1. In Internet Explorer, on the Tools menu, click Internet Options.
  2. On the General tab, click Settings, and then click View files.
  3. Select the cookie you want to delete, and then, on the File menu, click Delete.
Notes

• Some Web sites store your member name and password or other personally identifiable information about you in a cookie; therefore, if you delete a cookie, you may need to re-enter this information the next time you visit the site.
  • To delete all of the cookies on your computer, click Delete Cookies on the General tab.

alsplacebartender said:
I changed your setting manually from here to visible. Try to log out now. Also, try to erase the cookie in your cookies folder if that didn't work. Cookies can sometimes corrupt on their own, and deleting them will help fix the problem usually. If you're using windows, just go to the WINDOWS/Cookies folder and delete all cookies (I think).
=====================

Thank you, Brian! After I read your post, I could have kicked myself!

On my computer at work, each time before I close the browser, I always clear the Temp File and the cookies. But here at home, only on occasion. *Duh!* You can bet your bottom dollar I'll be cookie clearing more frequently after this!

Thanks, again! :)

Eleiece

AlTheObserver said:
They might have some of that "special" chocolate in them...

lol lol lol:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: funny funny MR Observer! but what is in the "special" Chocolate? must have somthing to make cookies do bad things. And how do I keep it from hurting my pc?

Sherdran said:
Below is a portion of a post I made on December 5,2 005:
Well, now....*sigh*... in the last 24 hours the problem has acquired a new wrinkle - now the system won't allow me to log OUT!
I've tried logging out on the main messageboard - nada.

Thanks.

-------
Eleiece

I am a bit late on this one but I must ask. We I need to log out ever time am done? Cann't I just close my browser? or does it show I am still here when I am not really here?:hmm

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not 100% certain, but I think it shows you as still online for up to 15mins.
After that it refreshes and reflects that you have left.

So the 'who is online' is actually, 'who has been online in the last 15mins', and it may show someone as being there who has in fact just left.

A manual refresh of your browser usually updates it though, so if you try to invite someone into the chatroom who you have actually just missed, a refresh should show you that they have gone.