Items for autographs

Al The Observer

Project QL Intern
Feb 1, 2006
ALabama
This was brought up in a thread on the regular QL forum. May I bring an escrima (a cylindrical stick of wood 24"-26" long and about 1" diameter, used in Filipino Martial Arts) for Dean to sign? What are California's laws regarding possession of weapons such as these?

We haven't yet discussed con rules and regulations on a specific basis, but I think you'll be safer to plan on bringing a more commonplace item (photo, magazine, DVD set) for Dean to sign. I tend to think we're going to ask attendees not to bring or carry around anything that might present a problem -- a stick that big can accidentally jab someone, be tripped over, etc.

So... does that mean it's reasonable to hope that Dean will be available to autograph items? From what I've read, at the past cons Scott and Dean didn't give autographs, only did a Q&A.

Umm I am not on the con staff but I would advise against it Al you could accidently injur someone while carrying it, or at worst get you mistaken for trying to attack Dean.

Personally I am going to bring my box set of Season one and Have Scott and Dean sign their very handsome pictures that are on both the inside flaps. :)

I would advise that you bring something like that which can be handheld and doesn't present a potential danger or threat.

Oh, pshaw. I've been at festivals where people openly carry steel blades, and nobody worries about getting whacked with a blade, much less a wooden stick. Don't people at sci-fi cons wear costumes that may involve fake weapons or blades? Besides, the escrima would be smaller than a cane that someone might need to use because they have mobility issues.

It's up to the convention planners, and I wouldn't protest their decision, but really, I don't think it should be a problem.

Again, we haven't discussed the specifics of this yet; there'll be a lot of fine-tuned do's and don'ts available on the website farther down the road, so that everybody will know what's up before the con, and (with luck) there won't be any embarrassment or problems for attendees when they arrive.

I'm pretty sure we won't be allowing anything with a metal blade - no swords, knives, stuff like that. For a "Highlander" con, that might be appropriate for the costuming, but not QL. No guns or anything that looks like a gun.

We're not trying to restrict anybody's fun - just keep in mind, it'll be a crowded event. Something that might seem harmless and mundane could cause a problem if someone got accidentally jabbed or smacked with it, or tripped over it.

Keep in mind, too, that the hotel may have health/safety rules of its own that the con committee has no say in.

As far as the availability of autographs, we're hoping that ALL of our guests will be willing and able to sign, but it's up to each one of them to make that decision. We have determined that anyone who will sign autographs cannot charge a fee for them (nor will the con charge a fee; it's included in your ticket price). Signing hundreds of autographs is tiring for the person involved, but we will request it of each guest and will try our best to post the information ahead of time, again so no one is crushed and disappointed when they arrive. We're all working very hard to avoid rude surprises on con weekend -- for anyone.

I'll add another note here, since it would include the autographing sessions - if you've got it in your head that you'd like some physical contact with one of the guests, ASK THEM FOR PERMISSION. Say, "May I shake your hand?" Emma just attended a con last weekend where the main guest was physically tackled and kissed on the mouth by a con-goer, and I can't tell you how many different ways that's wrong. Nobody likes to be grabbed (or assaulted).

That said...we really appreciate all the questions from you guys. We're going to do our best to provide everything you're hoping for, and there may be situations you've thought of that haven't occurred to us. Emma and I have experienced other cons where the committee wasn't responsive to questions, and we're trying our best not to be added to that list. So even if it seems like a dumb question, ask away!

I have to agree, you want to ask the guest before making any contact with them. And you want to respect their answer if they say no.

I had the pleasure of getting John Rhys-Davies' autograph at ELF-Orlando, 2005. This was subsequent to a delightful charity luncheon where he spent time at everyone's table. The handlers were rushing people through the line and I had had such a marvelous time interacting with John at the luncheon so when he finished signing my item (DVDs of SHOGUN) I asked if I could give him a hug goodbye, intending to just give him a hug really quickly and move on, but also perfectly fine if he said no.

He boomed "ABSOLUTELY" in that wonderful stentorian voice of his, put his pen down, turned to me and threw his arms open wide and not only gave me a hug but kissed me on the cheek as well.

McDuck said:
I had the pleasure of getting John Rhys-Davies' autograph at ELF-Orlando, 2005.
...He boomed "ABSOLUTELY" in that wonderful stentorian voice of his, put his pen down, turned to me and threw his arms open wide and not only gave me a hug but kissed me on the cheek as well.

I always liked him. He just seems like the type to do this.

And if you shake hands with a celebrity, do it gently. If your hand is being gripped and squeezed all day by enthusiastic fans, it can get quite sore.

Thanks for all the info, Carol.

Hehe I dont have to worry about that Snish usually if I get into a tight handhshake with someone its the other person making it tight. I am not a tight handshaker. My mom has to remind me to have a firmer grip when I meet a job interviewer hehe.

Perhaps I'll bring a copy of the photograph of Dean and his escrima that someone posted in another thread, and add that into a shadowbox with my escrima.

Thank you for your responses.

I will bring some safe things, like pictures, because I have to go through three contries (Germany, netherlands, USA - If I take the same way to L.A. like this time) :)