Hotels for the con

CarolD said:
More questions for you guys! (There's a special convention forum coming soon -- our friend Brian is working hard putting it together, but till then, the questions come here.)

Rather than having the con AT a hotel, we're considering the possibility of doing it at a convention center that has hotels nearby. (Some within a block or two, and more that are a longer walk or a brief car ride away.) That way, con-goers could book a room at whatever hotel suits their tastes and budget. The place we're looking at has everything from the Ritz-Carlton down to Super 8 and Econo Lodge nearby.

If we decide to hold the con there, would that sway any of you who have been undecided about coming? And those of you who already want to come, does this sound better or worse to you than having the con actually in a specific hotel?

Thanks as always for the input! We appreciate it.

I prefer to be at the hotel that the convention is taking place. There is a safety element involved as well as being more convenient. Plus, if I wish
to take a break from the convention I can just go up to my room. If the
convention is not going to be in the hotel I may not be able to attend, this
will no doubt have my husband concerned about my safety the entire
convention.

justacat said:
I prefer to be at the hotel that the convention is taking place. There is a safety element involved as well as being more convenient. Plus, if I wish
to take a break from the convention I can just go up to my room. If the
convention is not going to be in the hotel I may not be able to attend, this
will no doubt have my husband concerned about my safety the entire
convention.

Take a look at the Leap Back website--

http://www.leapback2009.com/

The planning is way ahead. The con will be at a hotel, tickets are on sale, rooms are booked, etc.

I thought I'd mention this, but I was flicking through a travel brocure and saw the hotel the convention is being held at. I showed it to my mum and a couple of weeks ago we put a deposit on it and taking it as a package deal. So we've got the hotel and flights sorted! :)

Been doing a bit of homework and noticed there may be two Holiday Inns listed at the same address. Is Beverley Garland independent or part of the franchise?
I'm uncertain whether I'll be taking the option of the convention hotel, as our Australian dollar continues to slide, but anything can happen in the next few weeks. Just out of curiosity, is there anyone staying at other nearby hotels, or can recommend some within easy travelling distance (preferably somewhere that's not in the "hood'). Also, is Vineland Avenue on a bus route. Thanks.