Dean in BSG?

LunarCrystal

Project QL Intern
Mar 20, 2006
U.S.
Anyone know if he's supposed to be coming back sometime? I noticed, and felt slightly dismayed, that he wasn't in the last couple episodes. I understand he was making a guest appearance but . . . wasn't his model supposed to be kind of - important?

Anyone?

He NEEDS to reappear on that show. I had only become aware of him on it because my dad caught him on it...and then I never caught him on it. He'd be the only reason that BSG would be watchable for me...:(

Joy said:
He NEEDS to reappear on that show. I had only become aware of him on it because my dad caught him on it...and then I never caught him on it. He'd be the only reason that BSG would be watchable for me...:(

I didn't catch it when it was first on, but when Dean started appearing on it, I wanted to understand what the heck was going on. Watching it from the beginning, it's actually pretty fascinating. What with the 12 colonies of Kobol being destroyed, leaving the remaining human beings to search for the fabled 13th colony called Earth. ^.^

"There's no such place as Earth," said Commander Adama, and I wave pleasantly at the screen.

It's kinda fun!

OK i'll admit it is kinda good. Maybe. Sorta. In fact if they just sped it up a bit and didn't make EVERYTHING really bleak and downright miserable i'd give it a proper shot. >D

To be honest Dean is always worth watching - look at Beverly Hills Cop, he's a slimy bad guy out to kill Eddie Murphy! But I still watched it just for his superb acting skills... - anyways it'd be a shame for his character to just drift off into the limelight, especially in a show that regularly attracts vast numbers of viewers for the genre anyway, so it's good for him to get more recognition. :heybaby

It's a recurring role. Dean won't be on every week. But he may be back this week--there was a brief shot of his face in the preview for this week's episode.

I like the show and I'm watching it anyway, but I certainly look forward to seeing him in it!

snish

LC;
According to the BSG blog on Sci-Fi, he will be showing up as needed in future episodes. The creative team has planned an extensive backstory with a visit to the Cylon homeworld, so Brother Cavil will be seen again.

While I love BSG I find Dean's character kind of disturbing. Which is the point of the character, I suppose. Of all the cylons shown so far he is the most sadistical. He always wants to kill or torture the humans it seems. While Dean pulls it off, I find it even more disturbing because of my foundness for the fun loving Al. He was on the mid-season closer so he should be on the show when it returns. It'll be interesting to see how much further they push his character.

Dean will definitely be guesting in BSG for the first couple of episodes in Season 3's opener - well according to SFX magazine anyway, which is great because his character brings out the evil side3 of the Cylons you just couldn't get from Number Six's taunting and Boomer's unawareness from the first series (Which i'm watching now actually - thank you X-Mas!).

UK vs. US

To avoid any potential confusion--

In the U.S., SciFi will start showing the second half of season 3 on January 21.

In the UK, I gather, they're about to start showing the first half of season 3. So far he's been in the following episodes:

Occupation/Precipice
Exodus Pt. 1
then there's a long gap until the midseason cliffhanger, "The Eye of Jupiter."
And he'll be back for the beginning of the second half of season 3 in "Rapture."

Well even though I don't know much about BSG, I guess I could at least have it on while I'm doing homework and just perk up when Dean's on.

Thanks for the heads up.

LunarCrystal said:
I didn't catch it when it was first on, but when Dean started appearing on it, I wanted to understand what the heck was going on. Watching it from the beginning, it's actually pretty fascinating. What with the 12 colonies of Kobol being destroyed, leaving the remaining human beings to search for the fabled 13th colony called Earth. ^.^

"There's no such place as Earth," said Commander Adama, and I wave pleasantly at the screen.

It's kinda fun!

The original 1970s BSG is MUCH better than the one on the air right now. The stories were better and it wasn't lazy sci fi. This new one uses modern stuff as props (like a 12-hour hand clock on the wall of the President's spaceship - I didn't know that the planet Caprica had the exact same rotation around the exact same kind of sun as the Earth! Wow! Caprica defies the laws of physics!)

So, for me, Dean would be the only reason to watch this new BSG, if I can ignore the plotline and just watch him act.

Kat

Cpt Jules said:
The original 1970s BSG is MUCH better than the one on the air right now. The stories were better and it wasn't lazy sci fi. This new one uses modern stuff as props (like a 12-hour hand clock on the wall of the President's spaceship - I didn't know that the planet Caprica had the exact same rotation around the exact same kind of sun as the Earth! Wow! Caprica defies the laws of physics!)

I can accept the idea that the new BSG isn't good science fiction, but I seriously doubt that the original was better. I watched it in its original run when I was a teenager, and even then I thought it was cheesy and lame. Neither series is about speculative fiction, accurate science, interplanetary travel, etc. They're about human drama, but the new one doesn't have bumpy-headed aliens.

The 12-hour clock wouldn't have anything to do with the time it takes Caprica to revolve around its sun. It also doesn't indicate that their day is the same length as ours. Whatever the day length, they could always divide it into 12 (or 24) segments, and hence a 12-hour face clock.

Really I think they use the Earth-style props to make the show familiar and comfortable for audiences. They're trying to draw a broader group of people than just sci-fi geeks.

So, anyway--just to bring this back on topic--watching the new show just to see Dean act is always a worthy reason in my book!

The 12-hour clock wouldn't have anything to do with the time it takes Caprica to revolve around its sun. It also doesn't indicate that their day is the same length as ours. Whatever the day length, they could always divide it into 12 (or 24) segments, and hence a 12-hour face clock.

Also, IF this show is set in a future with us as the Ancients (Although i'd say that with the ''This has happened before and will happen again'' line it's more likely they are and our timeline has looped.... ok i'm on a tangent.) then it's very unlikely that they'd alter the way we read time, during the moon landings in 1969 they ran clocks on earth time, and I believe they maintain it on the International Space station aswell, so time wouldn't change for us.

Or it could be that familiarity with the audience thing.:rolleyes

Last edited:
I'm a big fan boy of the show and have all the dvds. On the commentary Ronald Moore says that indeed the clock as well as other probs, like cord phones, of the show are lower in tech to give the show a more realistic feel and a familare sense to the audience. Also they talk about how some of the choices for tech have to do with Moore's experience on Star Trek where everthing was solved by a push of a button and had to have a buch of dialoge to explain away what they were doing. It's also a story point in that after the Cylon War there was a push to do away with networked computers and the like. It makes sense to me.

I happened to catch Eye of Jupiter tonight. I remembered watching some BSG epis last year and thought they were okay. I had forgotten about this thread, so when Dean came on the screen I got real excited ;) It actually wasn't that bad, so I'm waiting to see next weeks :D

Dean isn't credited for next weeks episode on IMDB, but I bet he'll be there just because of how it ended.

Strangely, I'm already sucked in. *sigh* All I need is another thing to take away from my schoolwork....

YAY! I FINALY GOT TO SEE IT! THANK YOU SCI-FI CHANNEL!

And it is addictive..and 'cause I'm random...I randomly wrote a song.

Battlestar Galactica,
It's got Dean Stockwell,
Battlestar Galactica,
he's some random bad-guy,
Battlestar Galactica,
he likes killing humans,
Battlestar Galactica,
Dean Stockwell is very awesome,
Battlestar Galactica,
I love Dean Stockwell,
Battlestar Galactica,
He's the only reason I watch that show,
Battlestar Galactica,
And the humaannss are stuupidd! dododo!

Very nice! Now I know I can't miss next weeks episode.

Wonderful song, Joy. Once I make up a tune for it, I'll sing it all day ;)

Hehehe..yay!

I just randomly started singing it in a tune..to annoy my confused mom..lol

I heard about this as well. It's kinda weird - so far two of my favourite characters from two of my favourite t.v shows have turned up as cy...whatevers on B.S.G! I don't actually watch it, although it's not on over here at the moment anyway. I don't know what season we must be up to, probably season 3 will be on next by the sounds of things. I might start watching if it does come on again anyway, just to see these cy-whatever guys!

Oh, and I don't think I even said - obviously one of the cy-people was Al, and the other one is Ray K from Due South...I think his name is Leoben or something on the show, I've heard he's some sort of cyborg thing.

Also I don't know if people around here know or not, but Al was also on the video to Smiley Faces by Gnarls Barkley. Some versions of the video don't have him cause he's on at the start, but I have seen it on youtube. (It's a good song too. :D)

I have the full version of Smiley Faces in my favorites. I like where he says, "When you look at it, it's very strange. None of it really makes any sense." That was my first impression of the video. :lol

Watched the return episode and Dean has some pretty cool key moments. He has a big moment at the end and I get the feeling that his cylon model will become more of a central figure when dealing them in the show.

I got confused for a moment in the temple. I thought he was a goner, and I think my jaw hit the floor. His part at the end was very good! I just have to keep watching....

One of the cool things about being a Cylon--you can have an unlimited number of death scenes. :D

It might be left to the male Cylons to carry the flag of Cylon villainy now, but I wouldn't expect to see Dean for a while. I think the next episodes will be focusing on the Galactica and we won't see baseships. So my *guess* is that we'll most likely see Dean again in the season finale. It seems like they're saving him for the "big" episodes.

I found a blooper! When he's pointing the gun at D'Anna, first it's in his right hand, then his left hand, then his right hand again.

Snish said:
One of the cool things about being a Cylon--you can have an unlimited number of death scenes. :D

It might be left to the male Cylons to carry the flag of Cylon villainy now, but I wouldn't expect to see Dean for a while. I think the next episodes will be focusing on the Galactica and we won't see baseships. So my *guess* is that we'll most likely see Dean again in the season finale. It seems like they're saving him for the "big" episodes.

I found a blooper! When he's pointing the gun at D'Anna, first it's in his right hand, then his left hand, then his right hand again.

As much it pains me I think you're right. While I loved the baseship stuff I was always felt that the Cavils, Simons, Durvils(SP?) and Leobens were under used. Poor Simon wasn't even in the last episode, and you'd think he'd have a vote concerning D'anna. Still though there are 9 episodes to go and we have to know what they are up to. I'd love another Downloaded type episode to explore those characters a bit more.

Al The Observer said:
Is there a place online to view these episodes? (I quit watching TV a while back, so I don't have cable or satellite.)

Well other than a file share program like bit torrent, which is illegal, you can grap the episodes on Itunes. They are released as they are aired. The sci-fi channel has whole episode runs on the main site. Not sure how many they have but the current episode was this weeks opener. Just go to scifi.com/battlestar and look for the title Rapture. The first 2 seasons are also on DVD.