1205 Socorro, New Mexico

What is your opinion of this story?

• 5 ? This was an excellent episode! One of my personal favorites!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4 ? This episode was great! I will definitely tell others about it.

Votes: 2 100.0%
  • 3 ? This episode was good. It was worth reading.

• 2 ? This episode is like the neutral zone ? I am indifferent.

• 1 ? Bellisario would be rolling in his grave if he had one.

• Total voters
D

Dman176

Socorro, New Mexico
August 28, 1984

Socorro, New Mexico

August 28, 1984: Fire! When Sam finds himself holding a fire hose in front of a burning building, he figures saving the life of a young boy will be his way to leap out. However, Al is nervous since Sam has leaped into an old friend with whom he served in Vietnam.

Written by: Mike Bloxam & Ruth Merry

Thanks,
TVS Team

Last edited:
Our rating system this season consists of six raters and three back-up raters! We took the average of six raters and came up with an average for that episode. Based on ratings of 10 being the highest and 1 being the lowest, the average of this episode was: 8.83

Please be aware that some reviews may contain spoilers! Some of the comments given were:

Seeker said:
I enjoyed this story. It was well written, the imagery was clear, and I do love a happy ending. Good job, Mike and Ruthie. Well done! :D

RATING: 8.5

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Morris J. Finkle said:
It's always refreshing to see Sam leap into new situations, especially considering how many themes have been repeated in both the original and virtual series. Although Sam was a fireman once before, all he did was get a cat out of a tree. The opening scenes of this episode sort of reminded me of movies like Backdraft and Frequency.

I do like how Sam was able to interact with the younger Al in the past once again. As another rater pointed out, this seems to be happening a lot lately. One can't help but wonder if this is just coincidental or if it actually means something (most likely the former). And the subject of abortion is definitely a touchy and controversial one at best (and one that the original series never really tackled head-on), but the way that Mike and Ruth handled it was very tastefully done, in my opinion. It was nice to see Al and Beth agree to "adopt" the unborn child on her sister and brother-in-law's behalf. :)

Well done, Mike and Ruth!

RATING: 9.0

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Sporty said:
A great story. I like the idea of the Al from that time being involved. Great story all around. Great job!

RATING: 8.0

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Allie Cat said:
I loved this episode! The imagery was beautiful as was the story. I may be strange but I love stories that will give me a wide range of emotions and this was certainly did. Plus the main issue in the episode is near and dear to my heart. I loved reading the younger Al's reaction to Sam's news since I certainly would have reacted in the same way (not giving spoilers on that, though). Plus, being an Al-coholic, more Al is better! :b Sam's never been a firefighter in the series or in the VS so it was nice to have that.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Vince Beckett said:
This was a great story. I like when Sam runs into a younger version of Al and it happens again here (that seems to be happening a lot lately). It's also good seeing Sam as something he hasn't been before, which he is here.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Xanadu said:
I really enjoyed this story: number one, because Sam's now in something that he honestly hadn't been before ? a fire-fighter... and he used his gut to find the kid ? which wasn't done in the original history. Any life is worth the risk. He was someone's baby. :)

Thank you Mike and Ruthie for this story. It gives several people (no spoilers in this rating) a way to be happy!

RATING: 9.5

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Now, it's your opportunity to rate this particular story. Let the author(s) know how you rate this story. If you'd like to give feedback, please go ahead and leave a reply!

Thanks!
The Virtual Seasons Team

Last edited:
Warning---this review contains spoilers

This was a very well-written story.
Spoiler Alert! (highlight to read)
I'm glad the fear of birth angle was played up, but I still find it hard to see someone of Maria's background to consider abortion for the reasons given, especially at five months. I'm curious as to how the children reacted to their sibling being given away, not sure Robbie would've reacted much better to that than he did to the abortion plan. Still, I suppose the ends justify the means, and I like the way that the solution worked out for Beth's sister and brother in law.
Characterizations were strong for the most part, but I do wish motivations had been dealt with more and a bit more time spent on the Robbie angle. Although Sam sure was given a lot to deal with in this episode and it all wrapped up in a nice neat package.

Still and all I'd classify this as a strong outing. Thanks!

Strange, I was unable to post a normal reply, (kept getting Java script errors) only a quick reply.
Nevertheless, I'd like to say well done to Mike and Ruth. I too have long wanted to see Sam as a 'proper' fireman, and this story handled it well.

Thanks for your comments, folks! I'm glad that Ruth and I were able to write an enjoyable story that presented a topic that I don't believe has been dealt with in QL before. Not only that, but Sam was finally a fireman! :b That was Ruth's idea, to have that occupation finally filled.

If Sam keeps it up, maybe he'll catch up to Homer Simpson. haha

... Mike. ^_^
(post #22)