Just Curious....

Which QL character are you personally drawn to most?

• Sam

Votes: 13 50.0%
  • Al

Votes: 9 34.6%
  • Another Character (please name them in your reply)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I Just Want to Watch The Poll

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I can't decide... I'm a leaner.

Votes: 4 15.4%

• Total voters

McDuck

GizmoDuck for PQL Security
Staff member
Jun 4, 2004
Duckburg
I was just curious as to which character you felt yourself more drawn to. Feel free to go into more detail in a reply. :)

This isn't to say one character is necessarily BETTER than another...just which one you personally feel more drawn to.

For myself, I'm definitely more drawn to Al. So much complexity, depth, pain, accomplishments, history. So much masked behind confidence and bravado. Love the sense of humor and style. And what a big heart.

:dreaming

A Leaner

Well, I generally turn toward Sam. I'm not sure if it's the "Boy Scout" in him... the "Don Quixote" in him or if it's the general somewhat romantic nature that he has with him.

He has his own angst that I can relate to. You can listen to his heart and hear it sing... I think. Come what may, he's always trying to do the right thing... even when he's home. He just wants to help people and I think that's what I relate mostly too. Must be the teacher in me. Hmm.

HOWEVER.....

I'm also drawn toward Al. He's the character that by the end, you just want to be near. He's very passionate about everything. He lives life to the fullest... has experienced so much in the world... and he's someone that you really want to know and get to know more and more.

Yes, his overall nature is fully out there... but up until we find out about Beth and how much he loves her and just wants to be with her... you just come to love him even more.

Okay... to be honest... I lean depending on the episodes. Certain episodes I lean toward Al and others I lean toward Sam. So... *throws hands up in the air*... geez.... thanks Jennie.

Now, I'm totally indecisive on the whole thing. :p J/K

Edit: added another list on the poll.

asearcher said:
I am definitely drawn to the Sam character for many reasons. The character as a genius intrigues me. The scientific bend coupled with the true desire to do what's right and good. The Don Quixote part isn't lost on me either.

However, no man is an island. Part of what made the show so great is the Sam/Al interactions. Without Al, I don't think the show would have touched us all so deeply. Al provided much of the soul of the show. His obvious friendship and caring for Sam, his environmental stance, his caring for the underdog, his rightous indignation in the face of evil doers, and, yes, even his lecherous appreciation of the fairer sex. These actions either played into harmony with Sam's actions or acted as a point/counterpoint to the characters. Thus, I have great appreciation for Al.

Those two obviously are the two most beloved characters but again, without the supporting cast, you can't have a great show. Thus all characters (both in the original series and the new characters from the virtual seasons) all appreciated in the world of QL.

Helen in Colorado

Ohhhh and she covered it all so keenly too -- even the VS! :) Kudos! And thank you for the mention of VS with that... lets me know that we are doing a good job. ;)

QLDamsel said:
Hey, I'm sure that I'm not the only one who does the same thing... And it's not being a cheater to love them both! :p

No....but it *is* cheating to add an option to the poll to accommodate yourself. :lol

I would have to say I lean towards Sam because despite the fact he may never get home he still feels that he must help others than help himself get back home.

I have to say I lean more toward Sam. That's not to say Al isn't great, but of the two, I can relate more to Sam. Although I'm not one of the most versatile people in the world like Sam and Al are, I do feel I have some similarities to Sam. Aside from Sam's accomplishments (I don't have many), what I feel I have in common with the character are things such as growing up shy and feeling misunderstood.

I also felt that I would react the same way Sam would in a lot of situations throughout the series, trying to act responsibly and do what's right, yet always seeming to get the "short end of the stick." As I've said, Al is great and a very likeable character, but I especially could never relate to the whole womanizing thing as my life is the complete opposite!

Hmmm

QL Nut said:
Aside from Sam's accomplishments (I don't have many), what I feel I have in common with the character are things such as growing up shy and feeling misunderstood.

I don't mean to poke fun at you QL Nut, so please don't take this as such. I know how the written word can look or be read depending on your mood when you read it. OK?

I took apart your post and looked at this one sentence and something just came out of my mouth as soon as I read it, so, something guttural (uh oh) happened when I read this.

What came out was: Didn't everyone grow up shy and feeling misunderstood?

as much as I love them both, I had to go with Al.....I just seem to connect with Al. Once I saw MIA, I went from liking Sam more to a complete 180, and the more I see/read, the farther ahead Al inches in my mind.

QLDamsel said:
What came out was: Didn't everyone grow up shy and feeling misunderstood?

Maybe, but so what? It's still how I felt and one of the reasons why I relate to the character more than the others. If you relate to someone, you relate to them, regardless of whether or not most other people have the same things in common.

And by the way, I've been a member here for nearly a year and my name is Chris in case you didn't know. Is it that no one cares, or that most members honestly don't remember? It's not a big deal but screen names seem distant to me by this point. And I'm sorry if that sounds abrasive. I didn't mean it that way.

By any other name

And by the way, I've been a member here for nearly a year and my name is Chris in case you didn't know. Is it that no one cares, or that most members honestly don't remember? It's not a big deal but screen names seem distant to me by this point. And I'm sorry if that sounds abrasive. I didn't mean it that way.

I don't think any offence was meant Chris, by using your screen name.
A lot of people don't like their real names to be common knowledge and prefer the anonymity of a screen name. Those who don't mind their real names being used, like myself, often put them in their sigs to advertise the fact that they like to be known. When people don't post using their real name, others sometimes assume this is because they don't want to advertise, and so respect their privacy.

Correct me if I'm wrong guys, it wouldn't be the first time, but it is how I usually look at it.

I often think I AM Sam!

QL Nut said:
Just to let you know, Chris, I remember your name. I usually try to call everyone by their "real" names unless they prefer otherwise. I bet it probably is because a lot of people don't always remember, being that there were so many members at the old board. (It could also have something to do with the fact that you don't have your name in your signature. I think that's why a lot of people refer to Greg as "DZL" too, because he doesn't have his name in his sig either.) ;)

I often have to refer to you as "QL Nut Chris" anyway, though, so as not to confuse myself, because whenever I hear the name Chris, I automatically think of my best friend with the same name. And has it really only been a year since you joined? I could swear you've been around longer. But then again, it seems like Greg and Jennie have been around forever too, so maybe it's just me... :p

Anyway, to get back on subject, I definitely relate to Sam the most as well. Pretty much for the same reasons that Chris mentioned in his post: my shyness, that feeling of isolation being so "different" from everyone else, not being able to "connect" with most people on an intellectual level, always wanting to help others even at the expense of my own happiness, etc. It's those very qualities in Sam, that genuine sense of right and wrong, that first drew me to the show and made his character become my personal hero. :)

QL Nut said:

I'm sorry if I offended you in anyway but calling you by your sig name instead of your name, Chris. My memory honestly has gone to ... well, ca-ca... as Al has put it so wonderfully... since I had my wreck. If you had mentioned your name or signed your name in with your posts, I must be blind.

I guess I'm too used to talking to The Rod, or to others who have requested that their sigs to be used. I'm not always called by my name either... and I've even shortened it to be online...

QLDAMSEL = What came out was: Didn't everyone grow up shy and feeling misunderstood?

QL NUT (Chris) = Maybe, but so what? It's still how I felt and one of the reasons why I relate to the character more than the others. If you relate to someone, you relate to them, regardless of whether or not most other people have the same things in common.

That comment was not to criticize your feelings of how you related to one character or the other. It was to just say that you weren't the only one who felt that way. I know that I felt that way. I wasn't degrading or pushing your feelings aside in anyway, shape or form. I regret now for even saying anything about it.

This will probably surprise everyone who knows me, but... I actually started out as a Sam fan. :hair

When I first caught the reruns on USA, for about a Season (maybe it was ~ season 4 or 5), I really watched his character closely. I'm not sure why it shifted - it was before MIA, I know that, because I was so looking forward to that ep. Especially when writing, though, I tend to find Al's character so fascinating. And it's not just the whole tragic aspect of his character with Beth, just the way he handles himself and the way his priorities and values seem one way off the bat until you start to look a little closer and then you find depths you never knew existed...

Plus...he's cute. :dreaming

-amkm

QLDamsel said:
That comment was not to criticize your feelings of how you related to one character or the other. It was to just say that you weren't the only one who felt that way. I know that I felt that way. I wasn't degrading or pushing your feelings aside in anyway, shape or form. I regret now for even saying anything about it.

It's OK, no problem. :) And don't worry, I'm not that cynical as to think that I was the only one who could relate.

Anyway, I always liked how these characters were so perfect for the series, with their leaping missions and such. I couldn't think of anyone more qualified for the job than Sam and Al. At first, you may think it's a little convenient that Sam speaks multiple languages, knows all types of martial arts, and is a quantum physicist among other things, but somehow the series makes it seem plausible. Whatever experiences Sam lacked, Al went through. I think this is one aspect that contributed to their friendship and has made it last so long.

Another thing that at least helps Sam's character to be more believable is the fact that Scott Bakula is a pretty versatile person himself. He has the same initials as Sam, he is a musician and he has an athletic background. In real-life, he was just as qualified to play the part as Sam was to begin leaping. Dean, on the other hand, may not have been an astronaut, Admiral, or womanizer; he is simply a great actor and makes the character believable.

Was Shy but now...???

I have no preference, you can call me Greg or DZL. When I was in high school I was shy. It wasn't until college that I found a creative outlet: Theater. Being on stage was the only time I really seemed outgoing. I had discovered (along with my acting professor) that I had a knack for comedic timing and sketch comedy. But once the curtain went down and the show was over, I kept to myself. No longer was I shy though, I moved up to Reserved (not shy but not going to engage in a full conversation). I could not find people that could share the same conversations with me. Instead, I spent time writing stories and song lyrics and playing basketball by myself, or watching tv in my dorm room. My senior year, I discovered karaoke and it brought me further out of my shell. So I would say I am drawn more to Sam's character.

What interested me about Sam's character is that, despite his awkwardness around people, and the fact that not one of his degrees is in psychology, he always seemed to understand people and was able to say or do the right thing to help them understand themselves and others. Pretty amazing for a guy who felt he never fit in or related well to people. He's not nearly as awkward as he thinks he is, and I like the contradiction.