Sam's Screwed Up Logic

I got most of the QL novels on Amazon. I got some of them on e-bay also, they had a good deal there on several. I'm in the process of getting the ENT novels. Have you had a chance to read any of the QL novels? What do you think of them if you have?

I have had problems with Ebay, I no longer use them.
I have read several of the QL novel series, currently I am in the process of re-reading most except Heat Wave which I just finished for the first time and Knights of the Morningstar which I am still anxiously waiting for in the mail. I enjoy them. Aside from the fact that most of them write Sam's soul leaping despite the show clearly portraying his body leaping they are very well written.

I don't really buy from e-bay that often, and I've been fortunate enough not to have trouble. I prefer Amazon. I've read all of the novels and I enjoyed them for the most part, although I had issues with some of them. I think you'll like Knights of the Morningstar. Heat Wave was okay but I wasn't too crazy about it. I agree, Sam and his host traded places physically; he still had his physical strength and abilities. That's why, for example, he was able to beat the crud out of Samantha Stormer's sleazy boss in the What Price, Gloria? episode.

There are other more direct instances in the show which show that it's Sam's body that leaps.

* The Color of Truth - The host is revealed in a later episode, Shock Theater to walk with an arthritic limp however there is a behind the scenes tid bit (can't remember where I saw it, possibly the documentary on the first season DVD extras) that reveals that Don had told Scott upon inquiry not to limp because he is physically Sam not Jesse Tyler.
The difference when he does in fact do the limp in Shock Theater is that Sam actually believed he was Jesse Tyler.

* Blind Faith - his host is blind but he did not inherit that as is made perfectly clear in several instances. The most significant being when he nearly gets the famous host (falsely) exploited as a fraud by getting caught reading a dog food box.

* Nowhere to Run - The host has had both his legs amputated as a result of a war injury in Vietnam yet we clearly see Sam's in tact legs and at one point he is even able to stand when drastic measures are required to ensure the success of the leap.

* Trilogy Parts II and III - Sam conceives a daughter with the woman he leaped in to save that is determined by Ziggy to be Sam's own daughter not the host's. Her high IQ also clarifies that she has Sam's genes. If it weren't his body that leaps he would be incapable of passing on his own genes.

Personally I am not a fan of how several of the novels portray his soul leaping and how in turn this effects the condition of the waiting room visitor. Loch Ness Leap in particular had a concept of the visitor that I found distasteful. I actually found a lot of that particular novel distasteful, but I am not a huge Sammy-Jo fan. So it's mostly a biased opinion.
Though I was pleasantly surprised in my re-reads by how many actually follow the show that it is his body.

You are not alone Michelle, most of the reviewers on Amazon were not pleased with Heat Wave but while it had it's flaws such as Sam's playing his role too well, I happened to have enjoyed it (and I found the surprise appearance at the end delightful ;) ). Those reviews had almost turned me off but you can't let the opinions of others steer you and I am glad I did not in this case. After how overdue I was to read it, I wasn't going to yield. See I had ordered a copy of it several years ago but had to request a refund as I never received it. I almost thought it was happening again as it took quite some time, as Knights of the Morningstar is now. My best friend has already both obtained and read it and aside from a slow beginning she very much enjoyed it. It's one I never took an interest in before simply for the Knight theme but once I read the summery I realize I may still not have been then as it took until recently for the evil leapers to grow on me.

Last edited:
The writing in Heatwave wasn't bad; the storyline was okay. There were a number of episodes on QL that dealt with racism or some sort of prejudice and they were very good. I've only read the book once, it might grow on me if I should read it again. The writing and plots in general for the novels were good. Any problems I had were with out-of-character stuff with Sam or Al or stuff that didn't fit in with the TV show. I happen to like Sammie Jo, and I liked Loch Ness Leap. I realize that won't be the case for everyone though. My favorites are Angels Unaware and Pulitzer, and I liked Song and Dance and Foreknowledge a lot too.

When it gets right down to it, nothing could be better than the T.V. show.

MichelleD said:
Any problems I had were with out-of-character stuff with Sam or Al or stuff that didn't fit in with the TV show.

Same with myself.
My favorites are Mirror's Edge, Song and Dance and Odyssey.
Angels Unaware was also great, love the return of Teresa and Angela however my best friend and I both have an issue with two things:
- The ending with Teresa (And that's as much as I will say to not chance spoiling anyone)
- The fact that the leap is at least two days long but Sam is starving the entire time, food is even constantly denied to him or taken from him. Then it's poorly written how he goes all that time without food and doesn't faint or even experience dizziness from low blood sugar.

Oh... I've never read the novels, hehe!

On a side-note, I also usually get my DVD's from Amazon if I don't find them on my local store. Only once I tried a supposedly australian site called "Fishpond" and it was a terrible experience. DVD boxes were broken, it was not the correct product, they didn't have a contact phone number, and it took forever to even get a response from them (the only way to contact them was through e-mail, go figure!). I later found out that it was not really from Australia, it was New Zealand, I believe.

Haha, I do know what you mean about Teresa and Sam not eating in Angels Unaware but I won't spoil it either. :) I liked but didn't love Mirror's Edge. A lot of people trashed it on Amazon but it's not as horrible as people make it out to be. I liked Odyssey a lot too.

Oh... I've never read the novels, hehe!

On a side-note, I also usually get my DVD's from Amazon if I don't find them on my local store. Only once I tried a supposedly australian site called "Fishpond" and it was a terrible experience. DVD boxes were broken, it was not the correct product, they didn't have a contact phone number, and it took forever to even get a response from them (the only way to contact them was through e-mail, go figure!). I later found out that it was not really from Australia, it was New Zealand, I believe.

Good lord, and I thought my negative experiences with Ebay were messed up.
Speaking of a damaged product Amazon sellers unfortunately can be a little less than accurate with the claimed condition of their product. The copy of Heat Wave I had received was said to be 'Used-Good' but it came to me with a chunk of the front cover missing and since then it lost three more chunks while in my bag (almost all taped back on now but one had vanished).

Then there was an incident years ago which actually was not the fault of Amazon. My best friend had ordered me a VHS copy of 'Passion to Kill' another one of Scott's films (in which he actually stars along side the woman who soon after became and to my knowledge still is his wife) for my birthday. It ended up having to be a Christmas gift instead as it had arrived in pieces with a skid mark across the package which suggested that it had fallen from the pile and been run over by the mail truck. She was refused a reimbursement and had to completely reorder it. She showed me the wrecked copy before throwing it out. It had been totaled.
Luckily my birthday is at the end of November so it's not a long extra wait for Christmas.

Haha, I do know what you mean about Teresa and Sam not eating in Angels Unaware but I won't spoil it either. :) I liked but didn't love Mirror's Edge. A lot of people trashed it on Amazon but it's not as horrible as people make it out to be. I liked Odyssey a lot too.

Pity, though I had read a lot of good things about Mirror's Edge in the Amazon reviews. I added my own as well. As did I to Heat Wave.

Right, Dean's role in The Langoliers was very good, in fact he has a scene where he sounds exactly like Sam as he theorizes their predicament. XD

Of Scott's films I have seen:
Lord of Illusions (I He's effing SEXY in that movie)
Netforce (I hope I got that title right)
Major Leagues: Back to the Minors
Blue Smoke
Above Suspicion (In which there is a scene that made me cry like a baby).
Role of a Lifetime
What Girls Learn
Necessary Roughness

I actually have Blue Smoke and Above Suspicion recorded on VHS, and the DVD of Lord of Illusions.

And of his TV roles I have seen
some of his episodes of Murphy Brown where he is very Al
some of Star Trek Enterprise
His appearances in New Adventures of Old Christine.
And a show that seemed to have bombed because ever since the first season I have not heard of it, called 'Men of a Certain Age'. He was great though, Al would have been proud. He was a total womanizing one night stand guy. Even more so than in Murphy Brown. XD

Hey, another Scott movie I had forgotten about: "American Beauty". He has a somewhat small role there, but it's pretty good.

I love Role of a Lifetime because its quirky and fun to watch --and as usual he made me forget I was watching a "Scott" movie for 2 hours. He was amazing in the Liberace movie which is on order and I'm waiting for it to show up. Even though his part was relatively small, he made it shine and like always did the best with what he had. No matter what, we get the best from that man.

Though I have not seen that film I have heard of his role in it and that it is apparently quite short. Just a small appearance as a gay neighbor or something.

It's small but he has like 3 different scenes there, and, believe it or not, his role is actually pivotal to the story. I saw the movie again a couple of days ago and it's probably the most famous movie he has appeared on. It's pretty good. Makes a good point.

It's small but he has like 3 different scenes there, and, believe it or not, his role is actually pivotal to the story. I saw the movie again a couple of days ago and it's probably the most famous movie he has appeared on. It's pretty good. Makes a good point.

Hmm now that I was not aware of it. Perhaps I will give it a try.